7/30/2012

The Best Star Spangled Banner Rendition Ever

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 9:11 pm

I saw this today for the first time, although it’s been around for four years. The group is called the “Cactus Cuties” from Lubbock, Texas. The arrangement is absolutely beautiful and contributes greatly to the effect, but the quality of the singing is also undeniable . . . especially for girls aged 8 to 13:

Wow.

1. Thanks for sharing it. I took a listen to some of their other things, from show tunes to gospel. great.

Comment by MD in Philly (3d3f72) — 7/30/2012 @ 9:32 pm

2. Remarkable talent!

Comment by WarEagle82 (0bcfe5) — 7/30/2012 @ 9:35 pm

3. Ditto.

Comment by nk (875f57) — 7/30/2012 @ 9:35 pm

4. Thanks for posting this. They are adorable and very musically talented. But their rendition seems awfully slow and ploddy. IMHO Super bowl XXV, Whitney Houston, is the greatest rendition of the Star Spangled Banner ever recorded. For sure it’s my favorite. Many people don’t realize that for that performance Whitney changed the tempo from the way SSB was written and is usually sung (3/4 time which is like a waltz) to 4/4 time which is more march like. It was brilliant. Near perfect.

Comment by elissa (3c6fd9) — 7/30/2012 @ 9:39 pm

5. wow. just wow.

Comment by kimsch (2a7c0d) — 7/30/2012 @ 9:59 pm

6. Love a cappella. Best instrument there is, the female voice.

Comment by gary gulrud (dd7d4e) — 7/30/2012 @ 10:03 pm

7. Thanks for sharing. I think it would be great to see these kids sing the anthem at the inauguration in January.

Comment by Anna (31e6ed) — 7/30/2012 @ 11:20 pm

8. what kimsch said

Comment by kinlaw (96b7bc) — 7/30/2012 @ 11:27 pm

9. Love the Lubbock twang.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 7/31/2012 @ 5:07 am

10. They’ve grown up a lot since then.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 7/31/2012 @ 5:08 am

11. That was amazing.

Comment by Pious Agnostic (7c3d5b) — 7/31/2012 @ 5:38 am

12. Thanks, Patrick. I needed that.

Comment by creeper (f1f686) — 7/31/2012 @ 8:29 am

13. Greetings:

Looks like they still raise more than cattle in Texas.

Comment by 11B40 (f4fe7d) — 7/31/2012 @ 9:53 am

14. This is the kind of performance in which the identities of the performers illuminates and enhances the symbolism of the anthem. Thanks for sharing it, Patrick.

(And of course, since I grew up 60 miles south of Lubbock, these kids’ accents just sound like home to me.)

Comment by Beldar (8554bf) — 7/31/2012 @ 3:31 pm

15. Just beautuful. I got chills, but i love me some good old fashioned harmonizing. I grew up 22 miles south of Lubbock & didn’t even notice their accents. Haven’t lived in Tx for 20 yrs, but I retain the twang. Thanks for posting that.

Comment by SuzR (a6caa8) — 8/3/2012 @ 12:08 pm

16. This is very fascinating, You are a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and stay up for seeking extra of your excellent post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks

Comment by tuk (089f53) — 8/9/2012 @ 12:46 pm

17. As a long-time fan and supporter of the Cactus Cuties, thanks for the post and your kind words for them. For the ONE comment that found their singing ponderous, their rendition has matured as they have. Since then they’ve sung in Cowboy Stadium, and on Monday Night Football among many other performances. A couple of us even tried, unsuccessfully, to get them the Super Bowl gig this year.

Comment by Ron Thompson (ad29df) — 8/13/2012 @ 4:07 pm