July 14, 2011: Andrew Breitbart Receives Menacing Phone Call from Someone Pretending to Be (But Almost Certainly Not) from Media Matters
It occurs to me that I never talked publicly about the menacing phone call Andrew Breitbart received on July 14, 2011 — two weeks after I was SWATted. The following is an email Andrew sent me at 3:21 p.m. that day, 11 minutes after the call came in:
Threatening Phone Call:
At 3:10pm PDT July 14 got cell phone call from computer altered male sounding voice:
‘We’re coming after you. (Pause) This is Eric. (Pause) Are you scared?’
They then hung up.
Just searched for the number as it came up on my cell phone (202-756-4100):
Media Matters for America
1625 Massachusetts Ave Nw Ste 300
Washington, DC 20036
I spoke to Andrew on the phone shortly after he received the phone call, and told him that I believed the phone number was almost certainly spoofed. The caller could not possibly have been Eric Boehlert, I said. He agreed. We decided someone was trying to punk him, and cause him to make a public claim that he had been somehow threatened by Media Matters.
I suspected it could be connected with the SWATtings, and advised him to contact his local police if he hadn’t already — not to report the phone call, necessarily, but to warn them that he was a potential future SWATting victim. Whether he ever told police he might get SWATted, I have no idea. He didn’t seem interested in reporting the phone call to police and I don’t think he ever did. He did authorize me to pass along word of the incident to the FBI agent working up my SWATting case, which I did.
I thought about this tonight for the first time in a while — I’m not sure why — and decided there was no harm in making it public. Not sure what it means, but there you have it.
UPDATE: The headline initially read “claiming to be,” but I changed it to “pretending to be” — which is, I think, slightly more accurate. The caller did not explicitly claim to be from Media Matters; rather, he was posing as Eric Boehlert.