3/17/2012

Happy Birthday to My Dad

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 11:21 am

As I have done every March 17 since I started this blog, I am wishing my Dad a Happy Birthday.

He would have been 87 today. I wish he were still around. I think about him all the time.

I wore the shamrock bow tie yesterday. Yes, it was March 16 . . . but I think it would have looked kinda funny on me today, given that I am wearing a T-shirt and shorts.

I’m taking the rest of the day off to enjoy the memory of my father, and the presence of my father in law.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

1. Enjoy the day and the memories!
    Happy St. Patrick’s! :-D

Comment by Sue (6623c5) — 3/17/2012 @ 12:00 pm

2. That’s awesome, Patterico. I know you love your dad a lot. I’m glad you found some positive ways to grieve, by honoring him. I’m sure he appreciated your love and was proud of you for the career you chose, the woman you pursued, the kids you two made, and the extra-curricular politics and media criticism you engage in.

Mostly for the first several things.

Comment by Random (aa39e9) — 3/17/2012 @ 12:08 pm

3. Very sweet. And you just might give your Dad a big laugh wearing that bow tie today. Go ahead, just do it. Heaven needs laughter, too.

Comment by Anita Busch (a025dd) — 3/17/2012 @ 12:12 pm

4. Your dad would want you to put some long pants on in this cold rainy weather.

Very sweet. I bet he loved being your dad.

Comment by MayBee (081489) — 3/17/2012 @ 12:15 pm

5. A nice tribute, Patrick, as in years past. It’s hard losing a loved one, but at least you are left with a lifetime of memories you can share. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family today.

Comment by Chuck Bartowski (0072e5) — 3/17/2012 @ 12:49 pm

6. :)

Comment by Dustin (401f3a) — 3/17/2012 @ 12:51 pm

7. Condolences

Comment by JD (0e9826) — 3/17/2012 @ 12:56 pm

8. Good times and sweet memories to you on your Name Day, Patrick.

Comment by DRJ (a83b8b) — 3/17/2012 @ 2:24 pm

9. My dad’s been gone for a long time, but his slightly older brother just died recently. In cleaning out the house my cousins found and gave to me a packet of letters that my dad had written Uncle P. shortly after they had both come back from the war and were living in different states. My dad apparently considered himself quite the experienced ladies man and was giving uncle P. dating advice. The letters were a hoot in a charming, old fashioned late 1940′s sort of way. I definitely saw a side of dad I’d never known before! It’s so easy to forget that they were young once.

Comment by elissa (c03fb7) — 3/17/2012 @ 3:12 pm

10. I chose to not wear the bow tie as well. Mine doesn’t go with green!

Comment by Brotherico (da6ccd) — 3/17/2012 @ 5:15 pm

11. Lost my dad last fall. I’m just getting out of the habit of wanting to tell him things he’d find interesting or amusing.

Comment by L.N. Smithee (60ab92) — 3/17/2012 @ 8:23 pm

12. but I think it would have looked kinda funny on me today, given that I am wearing a T-shirt and shorts.

Naw… it just makes you look Gay. Well, that and the hair cut and the earring.

Comment by Smock Puppet, 10 Dan Snark Master (8e2a3d) — 3/17/2012 @ 8:28 pm

13. … not that there’s anything wrong with that. :^D

Comment by Smock Puppet, 10th Dan Snark Master (8e2a3d) — 3/17/2012 @ 8:28 pm

14. Posts like this one put things in perspective. Bad people wake up every morning being dipsticks. And they know it.

You, on the other hand, get to wake up being his son. Even after he is gone.

Comment by Simon Jester (e51356) — 3/17/2012 @ 8:58 pm

15. Posts like this one put things in perspective. Bad people wake up every morning being dipsticks. And they know it.
    You, on the other hand, get to wake up being his son. Even after he is gone.

Comment by Dannies (51084c) — 3/19/2012 @ 12:41 am

16. Belated condolences!
    I know such a fine man as your father will be blessed eternally with a fair wind and following seas.
    I am also pretty sure he would continue to be proud of you.
    Thank you again for all you do in fighting the good fight.

Comment by jmh (e35c7d) — 3/19/2012 @ 8:53 am