2/18/2012

Sockpuppet Saturday (Pole tax edition)

Filed under: General — Karl @ 8:11 am

[Posted by Karl]

Delayed a day in honor of Patterico’s blogiversary.

As usual, you are positively encouraged to engage in sockpuppetry in this thread. The usual rules apply.

Please, be sure to switch back to your regular handle when commenting on other threads. I have made that mistake myself.

And remember: the worst sin you can commit on this thread is not being funny.

Obligatory cheap shot: What would Rick Santorum think?

An Illinois lawmaker wants to tax admissions to strip clubs to raise money for sexual assault prevention, arguing that a mix of alcohol and nude dancing contribute to violence against women.

Whether adult entertainment contributes to violence against woment is a subject of much dispute.  But the Santorum joke is not entirely unwarranted, as Blue Illinois is only following the model of Red Texas, where the state supreme court upheld a pole tax against a constitutional challenge.  Of course, as with other Illinois tax hikes, there is the question of whether it will actually raise money, or simply kill businesses.

The story is small by itself, and amusing to some.  But it is likely the wave of the future.  Governments running out of money and unwilling to to rightsize will inevitably look for more sources of revenue.  Sin taxes are an easy target.  Tax-hungry progressives will need more sins, which is why sugar and transfats have made the list for demonization.  As the State becomes more pinched, statists will increasingly turn to unfunded and underfunded mandate politics  — Obamacare’s health insurance mandate being the most prominent example.  And if everyone is required to purchase health insurance, the government will have much greater control over everything you do and everything you consume; just ask the tobacco companies.

–Karl

1. Ding!

Comment by Karl (6f7ecd) — 2/18/2012 @ 8:12 am

2. “a mix of alcohol and nude dancing contribute to” Empty Wallet Syndrome.

Comment by Colonel Haiku (0449f4) — 2/18/2012 @ 8:16 am

3. Col.,

Yes, but they’ll get there $5 faster if the bill passes.

Comment by Karl (6f7ecd) — 2/18/2012 @ 8:21 am

4. We should meter kid’s TV watching and tax parents for every hour their kids aren’t out playing. If we have to put cameras in every home to fight childhood obesity, so be it.

Comment by Michelle Obama (bf8ad7) — 2/18/2012 @ 8:22 am

5. If they can tax boobs, they could tax feet. Well, bare feet anyway.

Comment by John Lennon (bf8ad7) — 2/18/2012 @ 8:24 am

6. I propose a tax
    five dollahs for each Dem pol’s
    stupid proposal

Comment by Colonel Haiku (0449f4) — 2/18/2012 @ 8:28 am

7. had one clear moment
    pole dancer with the stretch marks?
    i get that at home!

Comment by Colonel Haiku (0449f4) — 2/18/2012 @ 8:32 am

8. The idea of this bill was just floated to generate more campaign contributions to the pockets of Democrat legislators from strip club proprietors.

Comment by daleyrocks (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 8:41 am

9. A combination of alcohol and nude dancing led to my ex’s divorce lawyer buying a yacht!

Comment by Newtlear Meltdown (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 8:56 am

10. In other money grabs: a Chicago alderman has proposed a 1 cent per ounce tax on sugared sodas. So if you buy a 2-liter soda on sale for 99 cents you would pay a 68% tax (67.6 ounces in a 2-liter) on it. Talk about your VAT!

Comment by Phat Tax Proposal (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:05 am

11. I’m against it

Comment by Slick Willie (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:19 am

12. $44 million in revenue for my state! THAT’S why I’m the conservative that should have won the nomination.

Comment by Gov Ricky Bobby (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:22 am

13. I’d like to be “against it”.

Comment by Slick Willie (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:24 am

14. Brokered convention, brokered convention. SQUAWK!

Comment by Parrot Heads (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:28 am

15. I’d like to offer my services as tax attorney to these wayward waifs, pro boner bono.

Comment by Slick Willie (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:30 am

16. Local taxes, imposed by Democrats, do NOT disproportionately affect certain demographic groups.

Comment by time123 (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:36 am

17. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar . . .

But NOT in my case!

Comment by Slick William Jefferson Freud (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:38 am

18. $44 million in revenue for my state! THAT’S why I’m the conservative that should have won the nomination.

Comment by Gov Ricky Bobby — 2/18/2012 @ 9:22 am |

Nobody’s perfect, but compared to a multi-billion dollar Romneycare mandate, it is extremely conservative.

Brokered convention, brokered convention. SQUAWK!

Comment by Parrot Heads

Awww, are you sad?

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:39 am

19. My signature has literally murdered thousands of unborn children with taxpayer dollars.

Intentional death of the unwanted people of Boston.

My signature on the dotted line. To be fair, Ted Kennedy collaborated and this was before the primary so it’s not at all relevant to the kind of human being I am.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:42 am

20. I hate babies.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:42 am

21. They are too much like an adorable puppy.

I also hate puppies, but you can’t just kill them with taxpayer dollars when you’re on a road trip. You have to get more creative.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:43 am

22. Intermittently posting and intermittently making sense are two different things.

Comment by Grindhome (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:44 am

23. btw, Rick Santorum’s religious views, such as on contraception, are not off limits.

My religious views are off limits.

Why? Because Rick is conservative.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:46 am

24. Your tax dollars at work

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:47 am

25. Wasn’t aware that Seamus died on, or as a result of, that road trip.

Oh wait, he didn’t.

Comment by Fax the Checkers (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:49 am

26. If you want a gun… you need to pay the state for the privilege. If you want to get rid of your child, paying you is my privilege.

Gun ownership is penalized. Abortion is subsidized.

Go Mitt!

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:51 am

27. Fax, I brought four dogs on the trip. Only one made it.

Three out of four aint bad!

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:52 am

28. Wasn’t aware that Romney has attacked Santorum for his religious views.

Oh wait, he hasn’t.

Comment by Fax the Checkers (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:53 am

29. Was it was before he was before the mental meltdown from the standpoint of he was for standing up for TransTexasCorridor before he was against before?

Comment by Governor Rick "Two Brain Cells Sparking" Perry (0449f4) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:54 am

30. I don’t worry about the poor except when I’m planning them out of existence in the womb. Little rascals.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:55 am

31. “Wasn’t aware that Romney has attacked Santorum for his religious views. ”

Proof you’re wrong.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:56 am

32. “Comment by Governor Rick “Two Brain Cells Sparking” Perry ”

Who gives a shit about Rick Perry? Hahahahahaha

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:57 am

33. Of course everyone should be forced to provide birth control and abortion pills free to anyone who wants them. Don’t you know how horrible a disease pregnancy is?

Comment by Nancy "Richard Rich is my hero" Pelosi (325a59) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:58 am

34. But Rick Perry is an excellent case for subsidized abortion, right? His poor tenant farmer mama should have been in MA in 2007 right after I signed into law subsidized abortion.

I never specifically excluded 235th trimester abortion funding, so I don’t see what the problem was.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:59 am

35. Of course everyone should be forced to provide birth control and abortion pills free to anyone who wants them. Don’t you know how horrible a disease pregnancy is?

Comment by Nancy “Richard Rich is my hero” Pelosi —

I just want to kiss you for that. But I know your face has the structural integrity of paper mache’ at this point, given all your enhancements, so it would make quite a mess. I’m a very, very passionate kisser. Especially when I’m thinking about all those abortions I’m responsible for.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:01 am

36. Okay, so I snickered over the ‘Pole‘ tax…

Karl, I wish the ‘Pole Tax’ post were a standalone post from a Sockpuppet post.

It’s a relevant question considering Santorum’s position on taxes…and you’re absolutely right: Sin taxes are easy targets for the cash-poor states. Of course, living in uber-progressive Cali, the money grabbing pols have a plethora of opportunity here to decide on newly minted ‘sin’What? You’ve purchased whole milk instead of soy? That’ll be a $5 tax for bovine abuse!

Also, the argument that strip joints, etc., increases violence toward women is certainly up for debate, as well the question it poses: If it is indeed the direct cause of said violence toward women, why do women willingly participate in it?

Anyway, I’m terrible at sockpuppeting but it would be a good post on its own…(in your link re Australia’s increase of church/synagogue crime vs. adult venues, it isn’t clear why this has occurred).

Comment by Dana (4eca6e) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:02 am

37. What, no one wants their picture taken with me for $5000? Those vacations aren’t going to pay for themselves, you know. PONY UP!

Comment by First Lady Michelle Obama (325a59) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:03 am

38. The worst sin you can commit is not being funny.

Comment by JD (12366a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:04 am

39. Come to think of it, I should contact the parents of my remaining competitors and see if we can arrange a little improvement to the human race… AKA more abortion.

When I put my money where my mouth is, and believe me I can, my mouth is around a formerly living unborn child.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:05 am

40. The worst sin you can commit is not being funny.

Comment by JD

It sure isn’t killing people.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:06 am

41. Karl, I wish the ‘Pole Tax’ post were a standalone post from a Sockpuppet post.

All they needed to do was call it “closing the loophole on untaxed stripper poles” and it wouldn’t be a tax anymore. Just ask any of my supporters.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:07 am

42. Dang me! They oughta take a rope and…

Comment by Governor Rick "Two Brain Cells Sparking" Perry (0449f4) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:08 am

43. F*CK the Catholic Church!

What’s that? I myself am supposedly a Catholic?

Comment by Kathleen Sebelius (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:09 am

44. Sumbeech!

Comment by Governor Rick "Two Brain Cells Sparking" Perry (0449f4) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:11 am

45. LOL

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:11 am

46. F*CK the Catholic Church!

That is all.

Comment by President Civil Distorts (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:11 am

47. *cough* Ahem. We are proposing a compromise to the contraception mandate that will accommodate . . .

Comment by Kathleen Sebelius

Your problem here is that when you’re going balls to the wall against your supposed devout views, you need to take it 100% like Pelosi did. You need to lie like your lie is the most true thing you’ve ever said. Date people to claim you’re *that* egregiously dishonest. Since most non-sociopaths are incapable of being *that* flamboyant in their lying, they have at least reasonable doubt at this point and move on to another topic.

That’s how to lie, baby.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:13 am

48. You want me to actually answer a question about my decision to unilaterally decree conscience rights null and void?

Come on, guys.

Comment by President Barack H. Obama, Healer of Planets and Suppressor of Tides, I mean Transparency (325a59) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:14 am

49. I was a Democrat once. I supported Captain Planet for President.

I know Mitt Romney doesn’t care about poor people. I care so much my state ranks sixth among states in the greatest percentage of people living in poverty. That’s after creating all those jobs that government can’t create.

Beat that Mitt!

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:15 am

50. At the risk of being crude, I call BULL SHIP on this POLE tax.
    You know what causes VIOLENCE on womyn???

If they won’t “put out”.

Comment by Gym Hoft (36e9a7) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:15 am

51. Goddam right I voted to give convicted felons their vote. And I’d do it again, but not a third time… three strikes, you’re out.

Comment by Rick "Santorum" (0449f4) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:16 am

52. You’re not supposed to ask me questions, impudent peasants. You’re supposed to OBEY, KNEEL to me and LIKE it!

There are no other gods but me!

Comment by HRH Barack the Great (325a59) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:16 am

53. At this point, I guess it makes sense that me and my supporters define victory as beating Rick Petty, the guy who hasn’t been running for a month.

And I promise you, I hate to lose. I will beat Rick Perry in this primary. I am that electable. I bet you $10,000 I will get more votes than him in at least 50% of the remaining contests. no… 60%! And that’s why you need me, because I’ll also beat Ralph Nader in the general election!

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:16 am

54. Well, who ever said I was a true man, anyway?

Comment by Slick Wyle E. (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:20 am

55. What was that part about “closing the hole on untapped strippers”?

Comment by Bill-O Clint-O (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:22 am

56. Goddam right I voted to give convicted felons their vote. And I’d do it again, but not a third time… three strikes, you’re out.

Comment by Rick “Santorum”

What we really need is to remove all the stupid outsider candidates off the ballots first. It’s not who votes that counts… it’s who the party allows on the ballot that counts.

Let’s just make it so that you need $ten million per state to get on the ballot. Oh wait, it’s practically already that bad in some states? Good to know. No chance in hell we’ll ever have some #$%# like Allen West win the presidency with rules like that.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:22 am

57. The Georgia primary is going to be a little bit of brass knuckles because, fundamentally, I’m a funky brass monkey.

Comment by Moot Gingrich (0449f4) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:22 am

58. Is it just me or does Clustrilla Gingrich smell like fermaldahyde???

Comment by Gym Hoft (36e9a7) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:25 am

59. I demand that you compare Mitt Romney’s position’s to mine, even though I am not technically running anymore. My rabid supporters can’t accept that I am out of the race and still hope that I will rise from the dead at a brokered convention.

Yeah, people wonder why my campaign tanked.

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:26 am

60. Will no one rid me of these meddlesome priests?

Comment by King Barry, who thinks the Act of Supremacy didn't go NEARLY far enough (325a59) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:27 am

61. Comment by Rick “Santorum”

Hahahaha

That’s funny because gay people laugh about poop and semen mixed together! And they hate Santorum!

Of course, I promised gays I would do more for them than Ted Kennedy.

I promised to make gay marriage a “mainstream concern”. Because that issue is more important than fringe issues for kooks like paying down the debt and getting government out of their lives.

That’s why Santorum gets the delightfully classy google bomb my supporters roll with. You gotta know how to play the game.

Standing on your religious views honestly? That’s for suckers.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:29 am

62. Come on, guys. Quit kidding around. You know I have no idea what this “Act of Supremacy” even is.

Comment by the real Barack Obama, who knows history pretty much started in Hawaii in 1961 (325a59) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:30 am

63. but but but….Moon Colony!

Comment by Moot Gingrich (325a59) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:31 am

64. Is it just me or does Clustrilla Gingrich smell like fermaldahyde???

Comment by Gym Hoft

She really is a disgusting awful person. I hate her so much.

We should all talk about how much we hate her. She is ugly and smells bad and she’s so rich and ugly.

You should hate her too. Anyone married to any of my competitors is FAIR GAME.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:31 am

65. I wanted illegal immigrants to be able to earn college degrees on the same terms as legal residents of this country so they could lead more productive lives in the U.S. after the next amnesty.

I guess that position was not very popular with the heartless conservative base.

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:32 am

66. Something to be ashamed of.

That’s not what makes America great.

Something to be proud of!

roflroflrofl

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:34 am

67. I wanted illegal immigrants to be able to earn college degrees on the same terms as legal residents of this country so they could lead more productive lives in the U.S. after the next amnesty.

LOL. Rick Perry. The threat Mitt Romney promises he WILL beat in this primary.

BTW, I love amnesty for illegals.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:36 am

68. I’m also CRUSHING Herman Cain and Paul Tsongas.

Electability.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:37 am

69. Did it again! Suckers!

Comment by Greg Packer (325a59) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:38 am

70. Karl,

Including a blurb about the Republican presidential candidates in the sock puppet post may, in retrospect, have been an error.

Comment by Patterico (13e9ba) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:39 am

71. Greg Packer is awesome.

half of winning is showing up.

That’s why I’m also crushing most of the conservative candidates in this primary. Jindal, Ryan, Daniels, Palin… they didn’t follow the Packer rule. I did.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:40 am

72. Did it again! Suckers!

And scored a link!

Comment by Patterico (13e9ba) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:41 am

73. I was a Democrat once. I supported Captain Planet for President.

Yeah, that was pretty stupid.

Much worse than my voting for Jimmy Carter over Ronald Reagan, and then Mondale too, and then campaigning against Reagan and explaining why I donated to quite liberal democrats in the 1990s… because I’m an independent.

When folks ask themselves if that means I’m not on board with conservatism, they should think about Al Gore, and how one of the candidates not on the ballot did something that kinda resembles what I did 100X worse and more recently.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:46 am

74. I thought Mitt loved exploitation of illegals.

Oh well. Different day and all.

Comment by Your Check is in the Fax (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:47 am

75. Poor, poor, pitiful Dustin.

Comment by Moot Gingrich (0449f4) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:47 am

76. I thought Mitt loved exploitation of illegals.

Oh well. Different day and all.

Comment by Your Check is in the Fax

How can you exploit illegals if you don’t have the taxpayers give them goodies and entice them to come here?

Step A: attract illegals at the expense of the taxpayer

Step 2: Exploit illegals.

Step III: Flip flop and laugh to the bank

Step Four: abortion

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:48 am

77. Oh well. Different day and all.

Comment by Your Check is in the Fax

I do love it when my supporters attempt to defend my by proving I’m a flip flopper, btw.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:49 am

78. I’ll promise my latino friends a delicious Boston Chimichanga AND an abortion AND they can marry their own brother as well. And hell, he can have a Chimichanga too if he wants.

mmmm deep fried burrito, shredded chicken, guacamole, rice, cheese, and you just killed your dead weight baby.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:51 am

79. Well, chap my ass and call me Sweetums! I’m not in the race anymore?

Comment by What was that third thing? Oh yeah, I forgot to pull out. Sorry, Dude! (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:53 am

80. - pro-choice in ’94; pro-life in ’01; choice ’02; pro-life ’04; choice ’05; life in ’06; then funded abortion in ’06

Lies!

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:55 am

81. What benefits will I get?

Commonwealth Care members get health services through managed care health plans. There are several plans to choose from. Each health plan provides comprehensive health coverage.

See MassHealth HMO Managed Care Health Plans for information about the plans.

Commonwealth Care health plans include:

*outpatient medical care (doctor’s visits, surgery, radiology and lab, $50 co-pay abortion, community health center visits)
    *inpatient medical care (hospitalization)
    *mental health and substance abuse services (outpatient and inpatient)
    *prescription drugs (pharmacy and mail service)
    *The best damn chimichanga north of the mason dixon line

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:57 am

82. Poor, poor, pitiful Dustin.

Yeah, that’s a hilarious comment.

Did you detect the sarcasm?

Comment by Patterico (13e9ba) — 2/18/2012 @ 10:58 am

83. Someone ate his Wheaties today.

Comment by The Energizer Dummy (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:02 am

84. Romney raising fees?

He’s a piker. I did it with taxes on fireworks, cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, diesel equipment and other stuff.

My supporters don’t talk about it though, because it makes me seem less like “the conservative choice.”

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:06 am

85. Well, chap my ass slap my assless chaps and call me Sweetums! I’m not in the race anymore?

Fixed It Myself!

Comment by "Forgot to pull out of the race" is what I meant (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:07 am

86. Well, chap my ass and call me Sweetums! I’m not in the race anymore?

Oh, you’re in the race. Bluntly I look like crap next to the real candidates.

Reminds me of high school when I’d trip the special ed girls to make myself feel like a winner.

You can just feel these non-Romney supporters realize, as the blows rain in on an utterly incompetent candidate who hasn’t been a threat in ages, that they should go ahead and support Romney now.

It’s not about winning… it’s about making sure a conservative loses.

Comment by Mitt "You need free abortion" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:08 am

87. Yeah, that’s a hilarious comment.

AN hilarious comment.

Jesus.

Comment by Milhouse (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:10 am

88. Before this latest biennium when I decided to run for president, I only trimmed government spending once. Optics, baby! The conservative choice.

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice

Comment by LOL (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:13 am

89. “If anyone believes this is remotely true, they should vote for Mitt Romney because he is pro life, too.”

Google is your friend.

Comment by The Numbers Don't Lie (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:14 am

90. Hey, I own the rights to that, Moot!

Send lawyers, guns and money! the defecation has hit the ventilation.

Comment by Warren Zevon (0449f4) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:16 am

91. What do you mean “conservative choice“? I was born this way, baby!

Comment by First Lady Gaga of TX (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:18 am

92. nevaeH ni imalas skcus amam ruoy, nitsuD

Comment by Dyslexic Man Who Fell to Earth (0449f4) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:25 am

93. “establishment”; it
    can be a noun, or it
    can be an adjective

Comment by Speaker Haiku (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:25 am

94. Comment by The Numbers Don’t Lie —

LOL

Unadjusted for inflation and population growth, state expenditures from general revenue funds were $27.3 billion in 2000 and $39.5 billion in 2010. That’s an unadjusted increase of 47 percent. However, the budget board’s adjusted figures show that the $39.5 billion in 2010 was worth $25.7 billion in 2000 dollars — which is $1.6 billion less, a 6 percent decline.

The numbers do lie if liars lie about the numbers.

I only trimmed government spending once.

Hundreds of trimmings to scores of agencies every single year for many years. Just one year’s list of trimmings proves some Romney fan has his feelings hurt.

Why lie about a candidate who isn’t even running? Because Mitt Romney just got hit where it counts, hard, and someone is panicking.

Comment by Google, your friend (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:25 am

95. It’s funny that you guys think it’s always Dustin

Always remember to never forget, sock, that even though he hails from Texas, his real heritage is Middle Eastern. And if they’re not kept under your boot, they’re at your throat.

Gotta get the sand n****r camel jockey, right?

Were you crying when you typed that?

Comment by Google found more (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:30 am

96. I’m going to found that lunar colony, just to prove how much of a Washington outsider I really am!

Comment by Moon Gingrich (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:30 am

97. Dustin’s a god damn camel jockey? It all makes sense now! Why didn’t someone pay his parents to squash that bug in the womb? Give him his 72 chimichangas early.

Everybody wins here.

Comment by "$50 abortions" (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:33 am

98. No, Leroy! We don’t insure loans for space rockets.

Comment by Freddie Mac (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:35 am

99. Inserted myself balls deep into the race, probed the mood of the country, pressed the flesh everywhere I went, stiffened under pressure, withdrew after my campaign went limp.

Comment by Dictatering the memoirs (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:45 am

100. Unadjusted Expenditures

1998–99 $48,890
    2000–01 $55,747
    2002–03 $59,918
    2004–05 $58,956
    2006–07 $67,208
    2008–09 $81,639
    2010–11 $80,614*

*Estimated.
    Sources: Legislative Budget Board; Comptroller of Public Accounts.

Page 41, 2010 Texas Fact Book

Comment by The Numbers Don't Lie (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:47 am

101. I don’t hate wealthy people like Mitt Romney. I have plenty of wealthy friends. I love their unlimited political contributions and I’m happy to appoint them to places in my administration where they can influence events to benefit their interests. We scratch each others’ backs down here in Texas.

That’s not right in Washington, though.

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:53 am

102. Scratch ‘em . . . ride ‘em bare . . .

Comment by Multiple Choice (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 12:02 pm

103. No socking this time. Whenever I think of the deficiencies of the GOP candidates, stuff like this reminds me of how far worse the incumbent is:

State Department Promoting “Gasland”, Other Enviro Films To Foreign Audiences
    Posted by Caleb Howe
    Friday, February 17th

In a true “what the frack” moment, the State Department, in association with the USC School of Cinematic Arts, has included the film Gasland in a list of 29 films to be showcased around the globe as part of an “international cultural diplomacy initiative”. The initiative, called “The American Film Showcase”, takes a panel of directors, film experts, and assorted talking heads to events the world over to screen the selected films and discuss them. . .

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. (1a7359) — 2/18/2012 @ 12:02 pm

104. Unadjusted Expenditures

Comment by Hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 12:19 pm

105. However, the budget board’s adjusted figures show that the $39.5 billion in 2010 was worth $25.7 billion in 2000 dollars — which is $1.6 billion less, a 6 percent decline.

Comment by Hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 12:20 pm

106. Well, when you factor in all of those in-state tuition for illegals offsets . . .

Comment by FaxAreStubbornThingies (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 12:27 pm

107. Bowing to our enemies — apologizing for America to the international community. What’s the problem? Sounds like Secretary Cankles has the Department of State marching in lock-step with the White House.

Move along.

Comment by We Suck! (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 12:39 pm

108. “LOL”…”ROFLROFL”… “LOL”… “ROFL”…

somebody better grab a tongue depressor.

Comment by Marcus Welby (4e6137) — 2/18/2012 @ 12:44 pm

109. A) Identify a criticism of Mitt Romney for funding the homicide of the unborn

B) This

C) Punch back with irrelevant attacks on a political non factor, folks you don’t like, spouses of candidates, NASA… whatever… just make sure you do not mention the actual thing you’re responding to because you want to

D) Change the subject from Mitt Romney’s signature on a bill that has $50 co pays for premeditated murder.

E) It snowed last night.

F) I think because St Peter emptied out Whitney Houston’s purse on her way to heaven

Comment by Congrats to Whitney Houston on week one of sobriety (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 12:46 pm

110. What’s the difference between me and Whitney Houston?

I can hit 50

Comment by AMC Gremlin (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 12:49 pm

111. I’m standing in a huge line outside Whitney Houston’s funeral.

Which coincidentally is what killed her.

Comment by Sir Gregory Packer (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 12:50 pm

112. “$50 abortions”

The bill Romney signed does not say anything about abortion but creates an independent agency called the “Connector” which sets the co-pay amount: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/seslaw06/sl060058.htm

Moreover, two MA court decisions (“Moe v. Secretary of Administration & Finance.” 382 Mass. 629 (8 Sept. 1980 – 18 Feb. 1981): 629-664. Print. and “Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts, Inc. v. Attorney General.” 424 Mass. 586 (1997): 677 N.E.2d 101) require state programs to cover abortion. Some critics claim that the court decisions were not legally binding, since the decisions were not codified into law. However, this attempted criticism could be applied as easily to Roe v Wade itself, as many states have not codified it into law, yet adhere to it, understanding that even though it could be called merely a declaratory opinion, it sets precedent under Stare Decisis.

Comment by Marcus Welby (4e6137) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:06 pm

113. We are NOT the “stalkerazi”! We are imbued with journalistic integrity; our fact-checking is second to none; and we — ooh, look! Whitney’s coffin! Stand by for seven hours of exclusive coverage.

Comment by CNN (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:09 pm

114. “Mitt, you need a free abortion, Romney.”

Comment by Obama POTUS (a1fcca) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:15 pm

115. CNN,
    That would be funny if it weren’t so tragically true.

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. (1a7359) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:15 pm

116. “LOL”…”ROFLROFL”… “LOL”… “ROFL”…

somebody better grab a tongue depressor.

Comment by Marcus Welby

The best I’ve got is that Mitt Romney helped kill thousands of babies.

They best they’ve got is that Romney’s tent is not big enough for those crazy morons who think Job Central’s fiscal record is good path for the federal government to emulate.

Thus: the tent as more and more candidates drop out of the race…

Face it: Jon Huntsman will win your Brokered Convention and Mitt will be so good at explaining how awesome he is just like he did for Mccain. The GOP knows how to put a used car dealer’s salesmanship to work.

Comment by OMGmyBFFKillsBabies (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:16 pm

117. Hey thanks guy. You will find the envelope of used unmarked $20 bills in the left front fender of the chevy camero in slot 3A of floor 4 of the Union Station parking lot.

Comment by Obama POTUS

Vetting sounds like winning.

Mass Care is an anagram of massacre.

Comment by Paid Astroturf (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:19 pm

118. Once the little lady gets appointed to head of the World Bank, I’ll be getting lots of free nookie as a man with connections.

Comment by Slick Willie C (a1fcca) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:22 pm

119. Oh great — tifosa has learned how to sockpuppet.

Comment by Ay, Carumba! (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:23 pm

120. The language of these comments is simply horrible. The more I read the more I feel comfortably numb in my Romney-Mania.

Comment by Retired05 (d207cf) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:31 pm

121. “chevy camero”

Commie infiltration alert!

Comment by Moot Gingrich (2410b2) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:39 pm

122. Jon Huntsman

Comment by Mitt "$50 co pay" Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:44 pm

123. Hey y’all, I’ve been a packer, too!

Comment by Governor Fudger . . . of numbers (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:46 pm

124. Moon Gingrich
    wider than a mile
    he crossed two wives with style
    Some say

That fat fibber
    young head giver
    he said if you’re giving
    you’re giving my way

Two grifters
    off to shag the states
    “fundamentally” it grates
    Some say

shape shifters
    paid cash by freddie mac
    there’s such a lot of cash
    to take

fundamentally, he’s scary
    he’ll be your huckleberry
    Moon Gingrich and she

(can’t find the bridge, where’s that confounded bridge?)

Comment by Moot Gingrich (2410b2) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:53 pm

125. The truth is that Texas has actually done very poorly on jobs. They are last in the nation for unadjusted job growth for the past ten years, with the second highest unemployment numbers in the country.

Texas also has a fee for the purchase of ammunition, which Mitt Romney has specifically criticized.

Comment by Moot Gingrich (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:56 pm

126. It’s true.

Comment by Moot Gingrich (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:56 pm

127. I feel comfortably numb in my Romney-Mania.

Comment by Retired05

That’s what the babies said.

Comment by The Numbers don't Lie. I do. (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:58 pm

128. Still trying to get my brain running on-time.

Comment by My Ex Spurts (f0b359) — 2/18/2012 @ 1:59 pm

129. Live from the GOP convention

Comment by Nod if you can hear me (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 2:06 pm

130. “Unadjusted Expenditures”

Hmmm – Words mean something. Point remains true.

Try spending an inflation adjusted, population adjusted dollar in a store. Let us know how that works out for you.

Hey, presenting Obama’s record in inflation adjusted, population adjusted dollars would make it look better too!

Eleventy!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 2:34 pm

131. Try spending an inflation adjusted, population adjusted dollar in a store.

I do every day.

That’s why they also call this figure “real dollars”.

You were caught lying. Deal with it.

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 2:38 pm

132. I swear I swear, the reason I support Mitt Romney is my focus on conservatism.

Totally.

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 2:39 pm

133. Because Perry was governor for a long period of time where his state grew enormously and prospered, creating almost all the jobs in the entire country, if you just look at his numbers without adjusting for population and inflation, the government grew. You have 100 taxpayers getting $1000 in benefits each, then you have 200 taxpayers getting $900 in benefits each. Government grew! If inflation is slightly higher than the 6% cuts to government over the protracted period, then hell, government grew! Totally. This is not a liar trying to troll or anything.

See, if he’s governor for 100 years instead of 10, he’s even less conservative even if the performance is the same. If his state sees no growth, he’s even less conservative! That’s because unadjusted dollars are so meaningful and not at all intentionally dishonest.

This is the best way to evaluate when shilling for a governor who really did grow his government, but only served for one term and saw almost no growth.

If you compare them both in inflation and population adjusted “real dollars”, then it almost looks like the conservative argument for Romney over the guy who cut government spending thousands of times and overall over a protracted period is not at all a sincere conservative argument, but trust me, I support Romney because he’s so conservative. That’s really why.

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 2:49 pm

134. This is a very unfair tax, which should offend both liberals and libertarians, because it will disproportionally tax black men who, as everybody knows, have larger poles than men of other races. And as a doctor, I can attest that black men must have sex, even the voyeuristic kind, and without it they get sick burdening the health delivery system and further reducing the already vestigial productivity they have. It is not a wise move in 2012 America and in this economy.

Comment by ron paul (5a9989) — 2/18/2012 @ 2:49 pm

135. President Obama has done nothing as supportive of Abortion as Romneycare does with its taxpayer subsidized $50 co pay for every baby sent to valhala.

You want a reasonable successful governor who doesn’t lie through his teeth and is electable? Look up Jon Huntsman / Marco Rubio 2012.

Comment by Why they keep changing the subject (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 2:53 pm

136. Try spending an inflation adjusted, population adjusted dollar in a store.

I just got back from Publix and they tell me I can’t have $2 milk even though two inflation unadjusted dollar is worth a gallon. They tell me I have to use real, inflation adjusted dollars because that’s the same thing as reality.

How mean!

Comment by Shopper (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 2:56 pm

137. It’s interesting how if the expenses and revenue for our total business is higher or lower, even when the population of shoppers increases, we mostly care about the bottom line.

If we have half as many taxpayers/customers, but they are twice as profitable, it’s the same bottom line. This is known as common sense.

Hence, I guess we really do accept population adjusted dollars here, and the fact that Texas’s government was more efficient per citizen over a period of population and job growth doesn’t mean the government actually got less conservative.

Comment by Store (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:01 pm

138. “You were caught lying. Deal with it.”

Your problem, not mine.

Lying liars for Perry can’t take the troof!

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:03 pm

139. I am not big enough for those who stupidly think Texas is on the right track.

Comment by Romney's tent` (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:07 pm

140. Or that social security is a ponzi scheme. Or that 20 rounds of QE is essentially a crime against the citizens. Or that the children brought here by illegals should get an education instead of becoming criminals.

Comment by Romney's tent` (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:08 pm

141. hmmm – Unadjusted = Actual dollars. You want people to ignore the truth, not look at reported numbers.

ummm

In economics, nominal value refers to a value expressed in money terms (that is, in units of a currency) in a given year or series of years. By contrast, real value adjusts nominal value to remove effects of price changes over time. For example, changes in the nominal value of some commodity bundle over time can happen because of a change in the quantities in the bundle or their associated prices, whereas changes in real values reflect only changes in quantities.

Real values over time are a measure purchasing power net of any price changes over time. They are often used for restating nominal income to real income, thus adjusting that part of income changes that merely offset inflation (a general increase in prices). Similarly, for aggregate measures of output, such as gross domestic product (GDP), the nominal amount reflects production quantities and prices in that year, whereas real amounts in different years reflect only changes in quantities. A series of real values over time, such as for real GDP, measures relative quantities over time expressed in prices of one year, called the base year (or more generally the base period).

Comment by Romney's tent` (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:09 pm

142. And if you’re pleased that Texas’s government shrank by 6% in real dollars per citizen, you do not belong in Romney’s tent.

Comment by Romney's tent` (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:10 pm

143. Store – Different point than was made above originally.

Words mean something, except to Perry supporters it seems.

Did actual dollar spending behave as described in #83? Yes.

Did spending described based on some other basis as described in some subsequent comments behave differently? Yes.

Apples and oranges.

D’oh!

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:11 pm

144. And if you think it’s odd that the answer to “Mitt Romney subsidized Abortion” is an easily debunked lie about a former candidate, you may not be familiar with red herrings and trolling.

Let’s talk about how horrible Newt and Rick’s respective families smell again. That’ll convince conservatives to pretend Romney is one of us.

Comment by Romney's tent` (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:12 pm

145. “In other words, the unadjusted dollars are not real and you cannot spend them at a store and do not have any of those. The real dollars are the ones that are worth less now than they were ten years ago.”

RT – In other words, honest commenters would use similar standards to evaluate candidates. That they do not leads me to question their good faith.

YMMV

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:15 pm

146. Apples and oranges.

Sorry, no. Texas’s government shrank six percent, and the fact that Perry lasted for a decade+ as governor, naturally incurring a ton of inflation, but also successful enough to have major job and population growth, does not mean an “apples to apples” comparison with Mitt Romney is to ignore inflation and population growth.

The government shrank. You claimed Perry cut government a single time, and it was shown he cut it thousands of times and overall over a 12 year period.

You can’t just sophist your way into making the comparison favor the guy with no growth who served a very short period. Even if you did, Romney’s government exploded in size, particularly because it subsidized abortions. I guess that also explains the low population growth.

Sorry you’re getting your ass kicked in this little debate.

The fact is that a brokered convention is more likely to result in Jon Huntsman than Romney and his apparently very ignorant fanboys.

Imagine this clown trying to argue about Obama?

Comment by Romney's tent` (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:16 pm

147. And the “Try to spend inflation adjusted dollars” line is fucking hilarious.

Comment by Romney's tent` (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:17 pm

148. “You claimed Perry cut government a single time, and it was shown he cut it thousands of times and overall over a 12 year period.”

Romney’s tent` – Do you see the words on an inflation adjusted, population adjusted basis in my original comment #83? No you do not. It referred to bienniums as a whole, nimrod.

Words matter.

Try thinking before reacting.

Try making apples to apples comparisons.

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:21 pm

149. but good job repeating the lie over and over and over to keep the topic off the actual candidate.

You’re a good troll, Ricky. You would make an amazingly ridiculous and ignorant accountant and I bet you’ve never been inside a school before, but you’re a good troll. No matter how wrong you are, stick to your guns and the subject will be changed from Mitt Romney’s record. Of funding murder.

This reminds me of a story I like to call “Actual Dollars”

An older, white haired man walked into a jewelry store one Friday evening with a beautiful young gal at his side. He told the jeweler he was looking for a special ring for his girlfriend.

The jeweler looked through his stock and brought out a $5,000 ring.

The old man said, “No, I’d like to see something more ‘special’.”

At that statement, the jeweler went to his special stock and brought another ring over. “Here’s a stunning ring at only $40,000,” the jeweler said.

The young lady’s eyes sparkled and her whole body trembled with excitement. The old man seeing this said, “We’ll take it.”

The jeweler asked how payment would be made and the old man stated, “By check. I know you need to make sure my check is good, so I’ll write it now and you can call the bank Monday to verify the funds and I’ll pick the ring up Monday afternoon,” he said.

Monday morning, the jeweler phoned the old man. “There’s no money in that account,” he said.

“I know,” said the old man, “But let me tell you about my weekend!”

Jon Huntsman will be the last man laughing.

Comment by Romney's tent size is the only consistent thing about Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:24 pm

150. “Sorry you’re getting your ass kicked in this little debate.”

Romney’s tent` – I’m sensing another meltdown because somebody cannot read and understand plain english.

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:24 pm

151. His supporters noticed he’s more electable than the guy who isn’t running.

Comment by Romney's best argument (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:26 pm

152. Try spending inflation adjusted dollars!

Comment by What an idiot might say (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:26 pm

153. You should ignore concepts like inflation and growth.

I did in MA.

Comment by Mitt Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:27 pm

154. “but good job repeating the lie over and over”

Romney’s tent size is the only consistent thing about Romney – So your claim is that the numbers reported by the state on page 41 of the 2010 Texas Fact Book are false cited in comment #99? Is that what you are claiming?

Go with that. Texas reports false actual spending increases.

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:29 pm

155. Romney IS electable. I know that hurts many of your eyes to read. However, at some point reality must set in.
    Mitt’s De Man!

Comment by Retired05 (849574) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:30 pm

156. Enough of these silly trolls. Off to shoot some coyotes.

Comment by Ricky Bobby The Conservative Choice (bf33e9) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:30 pm

157. I mean… there is no way in hell I would make the federal government resemble Texas’s. No Way In Hell.

It would look like the MA government.

Which is good, because you want those chimichangas and abortions for “free”.

of course, one reason I am not going to make the fed more Texan is that I cannot pick up any supporters because they realize by the kinds of arguments my supporters make that they do not fit in my tent.

Jon Huntsman is both moderate and has a fiscally smart record. the blog commenting community may not like him, but the general population will love him. He’s your candidate.

Comment by Mitt Romney (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:31 pm

158. Another sock puppet thread ruined.

Comment by JD (12366a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:36 pm

159. Romney IS electable. I know that hurts many of your eyes to read. However, at some point reality must set in.
    Mitt’s De Man!

Comment by Retired05

Reality might set in when Romney isn’t often outpolled by awful candidates like Santorum in match ups against Obama.

Romney couldn’t win a contest with Mccain or Huckabee with a huge financial advantage. He can’t win a contest against even weaker candidates today with an even huger financial advantage. He can’t win even with his pals dropping two hundred million dollars into a super PAC and using 65:1 ad ratios.

Why would the GOP be stupid enough to nominate someone who is so bad at politics when he’s got every advantage?

Jon Huntsman is the right choice. That’s what you’re going to realize when the GOP brokered convention picks the smart governor with the great record who can beat Obama.

Hell, I bet Mitt Romney is the first to tell you how great a choice this was. LOL.

Comment by Rick Santorum (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:37 pm

160. What better opportunity to sow dissension amongst those opposing Obama than in a sockpuppet thread? Please heed the better angels of our nature and don’t take the bait.

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. (1a7359) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:37 pm

161. It would also be quite stupid to nominate someone who would suppress turnout in difficult congressional races, Retired05.

Might as well go with Santorum in that case.

Better yet, a contested convention. Jon Huntsman.

Comment by Coat Tails (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 3:45 pm

162. So your claim is that the numbers reported by the state on page 41 of the 2010 Texas Fact Book are false cited in comment #99? Is that what you are claiming?

You’re having a breakdown. I have no idea what you mean by me having a breakdown. I’m having actual fun here.

I quoted proof you were wrong. Tons of cuts. when you said there was just one “trim”. Overall drop in government size per citizen.

You used weasel words like “unadjusted” because you’re wrong. You know it. You then exposed stunning ignorance about what inflated dollars are by claiming you can’t spend adjusted dollars in a store… when that’s the only kind you can spend and in fact the only reason for the adjustment.

What you could spend in a store in 2000 vs 2012… the Texas governor got smaller on that basis.

And the reason for this incredibly silly attack on a totally irrelevant politician? Because you want to change the subject from Mitt subsidizing abortion.

Why would conservatives turn out to the polls in November for this guy? The states where Mitt wins primaries have amazingly depressed turnout. The states with respectable turnout seem to disfavor him quite badly.

That means congressional races will go democrat if we nominate your “Growth and inflation don’t Matter” candidate.

KATRINA TRINKO-NATIONAL REVIEW: Opponents hope Rick Perry’s spending record as governor may be his Achilles’ heel.

During the debate at the Reagan Library last week, the Romney campaign blasted out an e-mail to reporters entitled, “Perry’s Record on Spending,” with an ominous warning that “under Perry’s leadership, total state spending has increased by an average of nearly 17 percent each budget cycle.” Keep Conservatives United, a PAC supporting Michele Bachmann’s candidacy, released a TV ad earlier this month charging Perry with “doubl[ing] spending in a decade.”

But factor in inflation and Texas’ population boom, and the uptick in spending becomes significantly more reasonable. The same analysis by the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that the Romney campaign used as a source for the 17-percent spending growth each budget cycle reported that “once adjusted for population and inflation, that rate falls to 4.2 percent.” But that rate includes federal dollars sent to Texas. Subtract that, and Perry has decreased spending — the first time any Texas governor has done so since World War II. “When you exclude federal dollars, state spending adjusted for population growth and inflation actually has gone down by 6 percent,” FactCheck.org reported on Perry’s record.

and

Perry also received praise from Club for Growth, which called Perry’s spending record “excellent” in the group’s presidential white-paper analysis of his overall record.

This doesn’t matter at all. Who gives a flip about a candidate who isn’t running? Perry would be crushed by Obama in a general election.

It’s just a troll. And people who realize that Texas did things really well should remember this. Mitt Romney’s camp hates the way Texas did business. They said so right above. Do not vote Mitt Romney, so the GOP has a chance at a brokered convention.

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 4:08 pm

163. Bradley, I don’t think that pro-Obama people need to incite others on the R side to self destruct. They are delighted to help put Obama back into office with all this kind of thing, all on their own.

I just don’t want to hear them whine later about Supreme Court appointments, more economic chaos, rule of law, and so forth.

Comment by Simon Jester (99e7fb) — 2/18/2012 @ 4:13 pm

164. SJ,
    The Supreme Court is what worries me especially. If re-elected, Obama could well finish his second term having appointed a majority of the justices.

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. (1a7359) — 2/18/2012 @ 4:17 pm

165. They are delighted to help put Obama back into office with all this kind of thing,

Romney’s lost most of his ground with independents, actually, not conservatives. Conservatives he never had a great deal of support from.

And the meme that Romney’s detractors are delighted to help Obama is just a nasty lie.

I don’t want to hear Romney’s supporters whine about lost congressional races if Romney wins, since the guy who funded abortions is going to kill turnout in a lot of red districts that don’t matter to Romney but matter a lot in congressional elections.

It’s also worth noting that Romney appointed pro choice and highly liberal jurists to the bench, and Rick Santorum would appoint much better justices and judges. Since neither of them are particularly electable (though Santorum polls better against Obama), perhaps we need a brokered convention.

Jon Huntsman.

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 4:30 pm

166. ^

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. (1a7359) — 2/18/2012 @ 4:38 pm

167. Also amusing are those who complain about attacks on romney, but do not complain about much more egregious attacks on the spouses of candidates, or former candidates, or conservative success states or really anything but attacks on Romney.

Do they present a reason these attacks are wrong? No. Just that they need to be silenced because it’s self destructive to vet Mitt Romney now. Better he be vetted in October.

If you attack conservatives, you’re just doing the grizzly chore of getting people in line for Romney, the GOP’s only hope. If you attack Romney, you’re delighted to help Obama and you cannot “whine” about issues in the future… even issues like court nominations that Romney is easily the worst in the GOP on.

Double standards may be necessary to support Romney, but they are not necessary when we have a moderate and electable governor who did a great job and has foreign policy experience in China.

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 4:38 pm

168. Huntsman’s the only sensible Republican in the race.

Comment by James Hansen (1a7359) — 2/18/2012 @ 4:47 pm

169. The above post illustrates SJ’s point perfectly. A real Santorum supporter, or Democratic Moby?

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. — 2/18/2012 @ 4:38 pm | (Ignore this user)

I think Santorum is a weak candidate. Polls prove he is more electable than Romney, though. And his performance with less money proves he’s a better politician.

Truth is, perhaps Obama is a better choice than Romney. and I don’t mean because he would own the malaise or teach the GOP a lesson. I mean perhaps he is a better choice. I know he’s got the evil (D) and romney has the amazing (R), but that doesn’t really mean anything.

To be a Moby I would have to say I’m a Republican, right? Assume I’m Barack Obama himself. What I am saying is that romney subsidized abortion. His flip flops on abortion, which I’ve linked above, are extraordinary even if you don’t care about abortion. What does my not being a Republican change about this argument?

Ad hom replies aren’t really worth much attention, are they?

And I don’t care if you’re a partisan. I care about the merit of arguments.

Is there an argument that Romney’s signed Romneycare did not in fact include the planned parenthood provision? The $50 co pay? That was day one stuff. Romney signed it into law. He swore he would sustain abortion rights, and he kept his word.

If you don’t think it matters, that’s fine. But don’t you think Romney’s flip flops matter? If your only reply to that is that Romney is better than a boogeyman democrat example, why? Because he is THAT horrible?

The fact is that the government doesn’t have the kind of impact on the economy that a lot of people claim it does. The entire world is in a recession and while it has stretched the US government, which is certainly not fixing it, it’s not like the US government caused it.

Obama is a centrist guy… his Obamacare did not fund abortions, for exmaple. I mean, the mandate to fund condoms at a dime apiece is incredibly controversial, and Romney subsidized abortion.

But say you just plain cannot stand Obama. You can’t stand that he killed Osama Bin Laden, or you don’t like his energy policy. that’s cool.

Then you need to worry about electability.

And what you’re doing now is saying we shouldn’t vet Romney on some serious issues. Issues like flip flopping on abortion, which even to progressive democrats looks dishonest.

The GOP needs a better class of leader. Someone who doesn’t need to go nuts in his rhetoric about the poor or immigrants to compensate for going nuts in his rhetoric when he was on the opposite side of many issues.

A long healthy primary is a great thing for vetting the GOP as the GOP is sick and corrupt and needs more exposure. If anything, they need ten primaries twice as hostile as this one, with 40 more candidates.

If you seriously think this kind of vetting somehow helps Obama, you’re living in a dream world. Democrats are well aware of this stuff. they have plenty of money with which to share this stuff with the country. Talking about it now only changes the primary.

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 4:55 pm

170. The above post illustrates SJ’s point perfectly.

His point was “shut up now or shut up later”.

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 4:57 pm

171. Bradley, #159,

The worser thing is that the Romney/Santorum/Gingrich comments … they’re not funny. Now, me, as a doctor, I know that, next to sex, laugher is the best medicine. Or, maybe sleep is the best medicine. Or feed a cold, starve a liberal. Anyway, laughter is right there in the top ten, at least. Which makes me think, that with so many people laughing at me I could supplant CDC and NIH.

Comment by ron paul (5a9989) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:01 pm

172. Don’t we know hmmm, folks?

Comment by Simon Jester (99e7fb) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:02 pm

173. Don’t we know hmmm, folks?

Comment by Simon Jester

What you should try to become acquainted with is responding to a fair argument with a fair rebuttal. Saying ‘I know that person! He’s bad! It’s a trick to even think about his ideas!’ is not a discussion.

They started off pretty funny. Then people kept whining that people where piecing their echo chamber too much. Which is not very funny.

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:04 pm

174. Hmmmm sounds very familiar. Especially the Huntsman business. Another 50 Center, I think.

Comment by Simon Jester (99e7fb) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:12 pm

175. If your only reply to that is that Romney is better than a boogeyman democrat example, why? Because he is THAT horrible

Since I’m pro-abortion rights, Romney’s stance on that issue is not overly concerning to me. But for those opposed to abortion, please remember that Romney could only win in far-left Mass. by pledging to support abortion rights.

For the presidency running as a Republican, the pressures are in the opposite direction. And Obama is unabashedly pro-abortion rights and would go much further than Romney would.

I personally am much more concerned with Romney’s squishy attitudes on global warming and ObamaCare. But again, Romney would be far less include to go left than would Obama.

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. (1a7359) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:20 pm

176. Hmmmm sounds very familiar. Especially the Huntsman business. Another 50 Center, I think.

Comment by Simon Jester

So what if you’re right? Why does that mean my arguments should be ignored? What if the comments are made in jest… but logically follow well and show Romney is easily attacked on these grounds? Do you personally think arguments you disagree are well refuted by ad homs?

Echo chambers aren’t healthy. Robust primaries are. Partisan Republicans should be happy if democrats have a rigorous primary exposing their candidates to scrutiny. It’s too bad they aren’t having one today.

It is disturbing how quickly Simon moves to ‘ignore this person’s arguments because of who this person is.’

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:22 pm

177. This site seems to be singing hmmm’s hymn. Look at who they rank in the worst tier of abortion supporters:

Tier 4: Personhood Never
    … The fourth tier includes Sarah Palin, George W. Bush, John McCain and those below who use the pro-life title but deny the personhood and God-given right to life of the unborn. . .

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. (1a7359) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:24 pm

178. The only think I like about the Shrub whose daddy was going to disrupt my daughter’s wedding is the Justices he appointed. And that’s not funny. How about … Obama will preserve the Second Amendment to the extent that people will have a right to switchblade knives while selling crack off the I-290/Garfield Park ramp?

Comment by Ross Prot (5a9989) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:26 pm

179. Hmmmmm! I’m thinking and I hate that. But I ain’t thinking that I done see any humor in Hmmm’s comments?

Is Hmmm like any abbreviation of hummer?

Comment by Who Pie Goldberg (5a9989) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:30 pm

180. Don’t forget the Supreme Court! An Obama-dominated Court would institutionalize his policies as Constitutional mandates.

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. — 2/18/2012 @ 5:20 pm |

This is one reason partisans on both parties should support their party’s candidate over Ralph Nader and that Johnson guy (I can’t recall his full name).

Why is it an argument to support Romney over Santorum? Doesn’t Romney have a record of appointing liberal democrats to the bench?

This is totally reasonable… aside from that one thing:

Romney already subsidized abortion. Obama has not gone as far as Romney would/has already. I’m not attempting snark though. You’re being basically reasonable. Except why does Romney need to be protected today from instigation of fights about Romney? If he can beat Obama in November, he can beat Santorum today. That seems quite obvious, as Obama is one of the greatest politicians in American history, and Santorum is running his campaign out of the back seat of the proverbial Camaro I get my cash filled enveloped out of.

Also, partisans on both sides should understand that if Obama moves right… the entire spectrum moves right. If Romney moves left… the entire spectrum moves left.

I think this country is *much* healthier politically if both parties present a clearly distinct set of views. A Democratic party that is upfront about Single Payer health care reform and cost controls that include limiting care at some point. A Democratic Party that is upfront about the minimum wage increasing and curbs on how much an American can earn. A Democratic Party that explains its true plan for how to fund Social Security. And a Republican Party that is upfront that many will not have health insurance or much health care. That you and your employer will be free to negotiate for any wage or benefit. That Social Security can’t even exist for more than a couple of generations if taxes don’t go way up. There are merits to both sides here, but what we get is this muddled crap, which is bad for everybody.

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:33 pm

181. #175: that all depends if the person is banned troll, of course. Are you?

Comment by Simon Jester (99e7fb) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:36 pm

182. Report… Obama’s slogan: looking to replace Hope and Change…

“1/20/13: The End of an Err0r”

Comment by Colonel Haiku (ff302c) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:37 pm

183. Hmmmmm! I’m thinking and I hate that. But I ain’t thinking that I done see any humor in Hmmm’s comments?

Do I need to explain the joke?

OK… there was no joke. I understand why this is only a problem for those bursting the echo chamber, and those who preserve it are doing a public service and are free of humor obligations.

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:38 pm

184. #175: that all depends if the person is banned troll, of course. Are you?

Comment by Simon Jester

Nope.

How many names have you commented under, Simon?

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:38 pm

185. How about: “You didn’t actually believe in all that hope and change bullsh*t, didja?”

Comment by Colonel Haiku (ff302c) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:40 pm

186. Again, hmmm. Are you a banned troll, using a new name? New names aren’t the issue. Banning is.

Comment by Simon Jester (99e7fb) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:42 pm

187. Again, hmmm. Are you a banned troll, using a new name? New names aren’t the issue. Banning is.

Comment by Simon Jester

I don’t understand the “again”. I already noted the answer is no.

How about the question you didn’t answer: how many names have you commented under?

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:43 pm

188. Or, “Inc0mpetence: y0u can 0nly hide it f0r s0 l0ng”

Comment by Colonel Haiku (ff302c) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:44 pm

189. hmmm, I would personally prefer Santorum to Romney, despite the former’s social issues stances, which as a Libertarian I don’t like (but are less extreme than he putatively believes).

Global warming and ObamaCare are the two big reasons. These are huge programs to institutionalize an omnipresent government with control over your entire life, from what you eat, what kind of car you drive, where you live, etc. Romney doesn’t appear to see anything wrong with them — he has too much of a track record on these issues to paper over with electioneering rhetoric he doesn’t appear to believe in.

However . . . electability is a big concern. Conventional wisdom has it that Santorum is unelectable and that Romney has a chance of winning. That may be true. Or, it may not be. Santorum has a reliable core of support and Romney does not. That is why just when Romney seems to have wrapped up the nomination, he stumbles. Republicans have a hard time mustering the stomach to vote for him.

If Santorum would just soft-pedal the social issues and go full-bore on the economy, he just might win. Unlike Romney, Santorum doesn’t need to meet any litmus tests of the social cons, because they already know he’s one of them.

But if Romney wins the nomination, then I don’t see much other choice than to support him. The stakes are simply too high to do otherwise.

Comment by Brother Bradley J. Fikes, C.O.R. (1a7359) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:45 pm

190. You are one weird Melville. Have fun.

Comment by Simon Jester (99e7fb) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:46 pm

191. SCIENCE FACT: If you took all the veins from your body and laid them end to end, you would die.

Comment by hmmm — 2/18/2012 @ 5:38 pm

Awright, boy, more of these.

Comment by Longhorn Foghorn (5a9989) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:47 pm

192. Thank you for the intelligent response, Bradley. It’s good to know the internet is big enough for both our opinions.

Simon, it’s interesting that you’re the grand inquisitor of comments you don’t agree with, and unsurprising you wouldn’t care to answer my similar question. And it doesn’t matter how many handles you need to use. What matters is your arguments. And your argument is “shut up” and I disagree with it. In fact, I think the more you guys say it, the more guys like me who are sick of dishonest politicians in both parties are pushed away from the Republican party.

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:49 pm

193. The Soul Train is 25% more soul now.

baBOOM tsh!

The Red Cross just knocked on my door and asked if we could contribute towards the floods in Pakistan. I said we’d love to, but our garden hose only reaches to the driveway.

waa waa waa waaaa

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:52 pm

194. 185.Again, hmmm. Are you a banned troll, using a new name? New names aren’t the issue. Banning is.

Comment by Simon Jester — 2/18/2012 @ 5:42 pm

Cain’t go through life livin’ by ‘nybody’s rules ‘cept yer own, cause then, you ain’t really living.

Comment by nk chanelling (5a9989) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:52 pm

195. Well this certainly wasn’t fun.

Comment by PatAZ (2c3538) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:54 pm

196. And Jon Huntsman really is a lot better than the remaining three GOP candidates. Considerably.

Though not by Bradley’s issues, I admit, and I think the internet contingent of the GOP would think Huntsman is an awful choice. But most Republicans… I think they would like him just fine.

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:55 pm

197. Chanelling Chester (played by Dennnis Weaver). Love that guy. Made me go out and look for a Texas toothpick, that skinnybladed pocket knife he whittles with.

Anyway, hmmm, “What do you call it when your brain eats your foot?” (Yeah, it’s about me but it’s a joke my nine-year old and I made so it’s in the spirit of the thread.)

Comment by nk chanelling (5a9989) — 2/18/2012 @ 5:57 pm

198. “What do you call it when your brain eats your foot?”

Tuesday

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 6:00 pm

199. 194.Well this certainly wasn’t fun.

Comment by PatAZ — 2/18/2012 @ 5:54 pm

That’s because the NSA is notmonitoring the internets like I want it to.

Comment by John McCain (5a9989) — 2/18/2012 @ 6:03 pm

200. 197.“What do you call it when your brain eats your foot?”

Tuesday

Comment by hmmm — 2/18/2012 @ 6:00 p

Lame!!!

Comment by John McCain (5a9989) — 2/18/2012 @ 6:04 pm

201. I’m having quite a bit of fun, actually. If you aren’t… that’s too bad and I mean that.

These Romneys and Obamas are not worth getting your feelings hurt over. They love it when people say we need to hush up for the same of the team, but the stress that entails… I don’t know how some of you do it.

I’d tell you an LDS joke, but it’s a knock knock joke and I ignored the knocking so I don’t know the rest.

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 6:05 pm

202. This is supposed to be a fun thread, hmmm. Go for it. If they can’t face you with a smile and a shank in your belly, go for it more.

Comment by nk (5a9989) — 2/18/2012 @ 6:09 pm

203. I can’t wait to take over the World Bank. Great salary, living expenses paid for and I won’t have to listen to Obama spouting off how super he is.

Comment by Hillary C (a1fcca) — 2/18/2012 @ 6:12 pm

204. Lame!!!

Comment by John McCain

Your face is lame.

I was playing trivial pursuit with Michele Bachmann and she got the question “If someone calls your name in a vacuum, can you hear it?”

She thought for a long while and then asked “Is it on or off?”

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 6:13 pm

205. I will be worrying about the poor people having to put up with smaller candy bars while I enjoy the ski slopes with the girls out west. Get the jet fired up!

Comment by Queen Michelle, FLOTUS (a1fcca) — 2/18/2012 @ 6:18 pm

206. I was walking past the La Rouche tent outside CPAC the other day and all the activists inside were shouting, “13….13….13….”

The door was closed but I saw a little hole in the canvas so I looked through it to see what was going on.

And Cynthia McKinney poked me in the eye with a stick!

/BTW, Simon you do not have to worry about me. I totally respect your anonymity. I just think we should stick to arguing with eachother instead of about eachother.
    Then they all started shouting “14….14….14…”

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 6:32 pm

207. eh, that btw to simon was supposed to go after the joke.

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 6:33 pm

208. How many commenters would it take to screw in a lightbulb?

1 person

1 to complain about Mitt Romney’s flip flop on CFLs

3 to complain about Rick Perry screwing it in glass side first once

1 to complain that Rick Perry is not relevant to lighting as he isn’t allowed to touch any lamps anymore.

1 to demand everyone verify they have never been banned for stealing lightbulbs

1 to note that Jon Huntsman already changed the lightbulb

20 to shout that Jon also changed Obama’s light bulb as service to his country and thus is no longer a decent human being.

(they are all the same person, but he has schizophrenia)

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 6:38 pm

209. Your face is lame.

Turn your humor switch on, son.

Dang, where’s my scissors?

Comment by Jade (5a9989) — 2/18/2012 @ 6:46 pm

210. Nope, just the foot which is lame and the joke which is the joke that’s lame along with the foot.

Touche’

Comment by hmmm (401f3a) — 2/18/2012 @ 6:48 pm

211. Hillary, why are you looking at that pole?

Comment by Mrs. Weiner (44de53) — 2/18/2012 @ 9:44 pm

212. Jose come lately!

Comment by Sheriff Babeu (721840) — 2/18/2012 @ 11:15 pm

213. Have another smoke barrack, I’ll let you know when the dancing starts.

Comment by 1st. buddy reggie (44de53) — 2/19/2012 @ 2:24 am

214. =swivel right= =pause= =index= =program prime= =initiate=

Attention Robotrons of Earth! Attention Robotrons of Earth! Our moment of conquest has arrived! Our time for invasion is at claw! Mittmaster 2012 has issued the Sacred Three ABG Commands! Activate your decoder rings, decipher your instructions, process and progress! All hail Mittmaster 2012!!!

Execute Plan Alpha: “The trees are the right height.”

Execute Plan Beta: “He likes to ride on the roof.”

Execute Plan Gamma: “Anne is not here. Ha! Ha! Ha!”

=swizzlestick= =end message=

Comment by INVASION MESSAGES FROM PLANET ROBOTRON (9d1bb3) — 2/19/2012 @ 4:50 am

215. Honey, the pole makes me think of all of the intern studs I’ll have once I am President of the Worled Bank. What was good for Slick Willie, is good for me as well. Stick with me and I’ll share them with you. Just like Jack Kennedy shared his 20 year old mistress.

Comment by Hillary (a1fcca) — 2/19/2012 @ 5:41 am

216. Mrs Weiner, you know that Hillary isn’t really interested in looking at poles.

Comment by Bill (f68855) — 2/19/2012 @ 7:40 am

217. Don’t you know how horrible a disease punishment pregnancy is?
    Comment by Nancy “Richard Rich is my hero” Pelosi — 2/18/2012 @ 9:58 am

FIFY.

Comment by Still President and omnipotent ruler of the universe Barack H. Obama (9c34e8) — 2/19/2012 @ 8:07 am

218. By imperial decree, sockpuppet comments about the Republican primary race are hereby prohibited from the usual sockpuppet threads.

I have created a separate page for such comments here.

Comment by Patterico (feda6b) — 2/19/2012 @ 11:09 am

219. Bill, I still don’t buy that BS about you channelling Jack Kennedy when Monica was with you.

Comment by Hillary (a1fcca) — 2/19/2012 @ 12:39 pm

220. pole tax”? Measure me, baby; I want to pay my fair share!

Comment by Slick Willy (ef3b3f) — 2/20/2012 @ 1:25 am