10/15/2010

Brett Kimberlin Update: Liberty Chick Threatened with Lawsuit

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 6:42 pm

I meant to post this earlier, but Liberty Chick, author of Big Journalism’s takedown of Brett Kimberlin, posted this message on Twitter the day before yesterday:

Yes, the rumor is true. I got this same threat as @Patterico http://bit.ly/aC6n8i What can I say, sources are all right there in the post.

I knew this the same night I received Kimberlin’s legal threat against me, but I didn’t want to say anything until she was ready to make it public.

By the way, I received my copy of “Citizen K” in the mail today. When I return to the blog in a couple of weeks, I expect I will have read it. I am about to learn a lot more about our friend the convicted bomber.

Finally, I said in a post the other day that one of the directors of Velvet Revolution that “it appears” that one of the directors was Jeff Cohen of FAIR and formerly of Fox News Watch. Cohen e-mailed me today to say that was wrong, and I immediately corrected the error, but wanted to make the correction prominent in a new post. I thought it was odd, since I always sort of liked Cohen despite his crazy politics. I should have looked at the proof underlying that assertion more carefully and I regret the mistake.

1. Imagine Kimberlin’s surprise that his cheap threats don’t get what he wants.

Comment by SPQR (26be8b) — 10/15/2010 @ 6:47 pm

2. An entire book exploring the topic of Brett Kimberlin. I can’t wait to read your review, and I may even buy a copy of my own.

Comment by DRJ (d43dcd) — 10/15/2010 @ 6:55 pm

3. Stay scrupulous in making valid corrections because there is no reason in hell you should have to remove the truth.

I take it you are still waiting for an actual specific point from your post that Kimberlin asserts is untrue, and why. And, in my opinion, you’re going to keep waiting because I don’t there’s much there that meets that description.

Comment by Christoph (8ec277) — 10/15/2010 @ 7:28 pm

4. Larry O’Connor has a post up today at Big Government linking Velvet Revolution to the start of the anti-Chamber of Commerce campaign last year. It’s nice to keep the pressure on.

Also, non-lawyer Brad Friedman lost another round in his ridiculous Ann Coulter crusade yesterday but called the State Election Enforcement Commission decision fatally flawed. No, what was fatally flawed was Brad’s crusade and his attempts to distract from his piss poor arguments.

Comment by daleyrocks (940075) — 10/15/2010 @ 7:47 pm

5. October surprise anyone? I cannot think of one single way this could be spun well. It honestly baffles me anyone in an official capacity would associate with him politically or even socially.

Comment by anon (c33da0) — 10/15/2010 @ 7:49 pm

6. Thanks for linking that Big Government, daleyrocks. I hadn’t seen it and it’s another reason why we need to know more about Kimberlin, Friedman and their joint ventures.

Comment by DRJ (d43dcd) — 10/15/2010 @ 7:50 pm

7. You thought it was Cohen because Kimberlin’s accountant/co-director is named Cohen?

Comment by the_last_name_left (4d45ec) — 10/15/2010 @ 8:58 pm

8. Citizen K is dirtcheap if you buy it used on Amazon.

Like 20 cents plus a nominal shipping fee.

Comment by O'Donnell Defense Force (b54cdc) — 10/15/2010 @ 9:18 pm

9. Cohen? whoops – obviously not. Sorry. My bad.
    ————

On these legal threats by Brett Kimberlin – why don’t more people make the same claims about Kimberlin and up the ante?

Sue me.

For publishing already published claims. What’s the issue?

Comment by the_last_name_left (4d45ec) — 10/15/2010 @ 9:51 pm

10. the_last_name_left – Actually Jeff Cohen from FAIR is associated with a number of the same causes as Velvet Revolution/Justice Through Music Project, so an easy mistake to make. Jeff Cohen, an entertainment lawyer, was listed as a founder of JTMP if I remember right.

Comment by daleyrocks (940075) — 10/15/2010 @ 10:01 pm

11. Yep, daleyrocks.

In retrospect, I guess it makes sense to doubt Cohen would consort with these actual monsters, but when you first realize how many lefties do consort with them, it’s hard to rely on skepticism. I’ve found this Kimberlin story to be very surprising.

And as you said, Cohen does run with the same causes.

Good for him for doing so without relying on the wrong sort of people.

Comment by Dustin (b54cdc) — 10/15/2010 @ 10:05 pm

12. You thought it was Cohen because Kimberlin’s accountant/co-director is named Cohen?

No. As daleyrocks said, his name pops up in a number of Internet pages together with Velvet Revolution, discussing the same issues.

Comment by Patterico (c218bd) — 10/15/2010 @ 10:53 pm

13. And it was the same first and last name, not just the same last name.

Comment by Patterico (c218bd) — 10/15/2010 @ 10:53 pm

14. And you said “it appears”. The LA Times would probably fight correcting because it’s still literally correct that the appearance was there.

Comment by Dustin (b54cdc) — 10/15/2010 @ 11:11 pm

15. People like K, with a convicted history of violence, will not stop at legal means. Take care,

Comment by Pious Agnostic (f24095) — 10/16/2010 @ 7:02 am