6/11/2010

Irony Meter Breaks: Eric Boehlert Whine About Incivility to Office of President Cross-Posted on a Site Devoted to Incivility to President Bush

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 9:18 pm

That’s right. Boehlert whines and moans about Andrew Malcolm calling President Obama mean names, like “Smoker-in-Chief.” Then he cross-publishes his post at a site called “The Smirking Chimp.” On the masthead is a picture of former President George W. Bush, with a “return to sender” stamp across his face.

It’s irony so rich, you won’t have room for seconds!

Thanks to Dodd.

UPDATE: Boehlert has taken to Twitter to deny the charge that he cross-posted his whine about civility:

If @patterico were any dumber, it would hurt. I didn’t “cross publish” my column at Smirking Chimp, idiot.

Boehlert’s post — which is posted at “Eric Boehlert’s blog” at The Smirking Chimp — decries Andrew Malcolm’s failure to maintain a “clean, dignified and civil tone.”

Is he doing some kind of subtle parody of himself? Help me out here.

1. hymn, hymn, frag him…..

everyone sing it with me this time!

“hymn, hymn…..”

biotch.

Comment by redc1c4 (fb8750) — 6/11/2010 @ 9:24 pm

2. As they say, “You can’t make this stuff up”.

Comment by MD in Philly (5a98ff) — 6/11/2010 @ 9:40 pm

3. Somewhere Alanis Morrisette just slapped her forehead and said “Oh!”

Comment by Gazzer (d79016) — 6/11/2010 @ 10:38 pm

4. not sure if i’m just confused but ur 2nd link is same as the first

Comment by Born Free (695c0e) — 6/11/2010 @ 10:52 pm

5. Thanks, Born Free. I’ll fix it.

Comment by DRJ (d43dcd) — 6/11/2010 @ 11:01 pm

6. irony? or simple hypocrisy?

Comment by steve sturm (116925) — 6/12/2010 @ 5:33 am

7. Well, there’s hope yet. From the linked Chimp site:

Coming this Tuesday: A Day Without Smirking Chimp
    Because I don’t know what else to do. Tuesday will be the halfway point of our current fundraiser and up till now, donations have barely been trickling in. To survive, we need to consistently take in around $500 a day. To this point, only once have we taken in more than $200. Unless we’re anywhere close to the $5,000 mark by Monday night, this web site will go dark from 8:00am Tuesday to 8:00am Wednesday. And if you wonder why I persist in begging for your spare change, here’s my explanation.

I am amused.

Comment by The amused Dana (474dfc) — 6/12/2010 @ 5:58 am

8. How can citizens characterize the performance of an administration objectively?

The first duty of a President is to protect and defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign or domestic. The second duty is to nurture and grow our economy. The third is to lead the free world against the forces of oppression and despotism.

Let me rate George H. W. Bush, a man for whom I voted twice.

On duty one (protecting and defending the Constitution) I give him a B+. For seven years, we were not attacked again, but we paid a price in terms of liberty. The Patriot Act granted broad new powers to the federal government. While his administration did not abuse them, the die was cast.

I grade Bush’s economic performance a B-. He inherited a shrinking economy, endured the impact of 9/11 and fought two wars. Upside, unemployment dropped to frictional levels and business prospered. Once again Bush proved that cutting taxes increases government revenue. We had sustained GDP growth and a pro business atmosphere. Downside, he grew government with Medicare drug programs, No Child Left Behind, failed to discourage illegal immigration and continued the entitlement to home ownership, a crater in which we are still.

On leadership, I grade Bush A+. Twice, he unleashed the dogs of war and freed 50 million people. He stood up to the forces of evil and paid the political price. He built coalitions of nations who, like America, were willing to fight radical islam. Despite a whitening media campaign and treacherous democrat opposition, he approved the surge that turned Iraq into a victory. To the men and women in our military, people who recognize, honor and practice leadership, Bush was a rock star.

How does the current administration compare?

Comment by arch (24f4f2) — 6/12/2010 @ 6:30 am

9. I give up!

[Your formatting shows up fine to everyone else immediately and will look okay to you after the page is refreshed. I had an email exchange with the techs yesterday and the last few bugs from after the host move should be fixed soon. The main focus has been keeping the site viable during big links and eliminating random server spikes that crashed the site for no apparent reason, which was why the site was migrated to the new host. That is pretty much resolved, so I'm told the rest will be back to normal shortly. Sorry for the frustration and I removed the duplicate post. --Stashiu]

Comment by arch (24f4f2) — 6/12/2010 @ 6:33 am

10. Thanks. It’s okay after I go to another page and return. Been having a lot of trouble with this browser.

Sorry about double posting.

Arch

Comment by arch (24f4f2) — 6/12/2010 @ 7:00 am

11. Not your fault at all Arch, it’s been pretty common while things are being fixed. I just wanted to make sure you knew that the frustrations are almost over (the technical ones anyway, the Obama administration is sadly unaffected by the change in hosts ;) )

Thanks for being patient.

Comment by Stashiu3 (44da70) — 6/12/2010 @ 7:05 am

12. The funny thing about the alphabetists is they don’t see it as hypocrisy. They just sputter, stamp their feet, and shriek “…that’s different!..”

Comment by Eric Blair (805b4c) — 6/12/2010 @ 7:27 am

13. Huh. Professional Soros-whore Boehlert is a whiny, hypocritical loser? Never saw that one coming.

Comment by M. Scott Eiland (dcaa3e) — 6/12/2010 @ 8:46 am

14. George Soros weeps crocodile tears for the Euro’s impending implosion.

Comment by Dmac (3d61d9) — 6/12/2010 @ 9:31 am

15. See, it’s okay that the lamestream media wasn’t respectful to Bush; they were allowed to be not on-board with the program, because it was the wrong program.

But now that the good pogrom program is in-place . . .

Comment by Icy Texan (11677d) — 6/12/2010 @ 11:40 am