6/18/2009

Hillary Clinton Breaks Elbow

Filed under: Government — DRJ @ 7:45 pm

[Guest post by DRJ]

Hillary Clinton broke her elbow last night when she fell in the State Department parking garage. She will have surgery “in the coming week.”

Secretary Clinton has my sympathy. A broken elbow is no fun.

Still, it could have been worse. My award for the “worst broken elbow” story goes to Canadian Kyle Russell.

– DRJ

1. Those are very painful indeed.

Comment by SPQR (26be8b) — 6/18/2009 @ 8:01 pm

2. I hope Secretary Of State Clinton has the canny to publish the complete cost of the medical treatment she has to experience. A cost paid for on a public-funded, government healthplan. A plan she has for LIFE at taxpayer expense.

Comment by DCSCA (9d1bb3) — 6/18/2009 @ 8:21 pm

3. She will have surgery “in the coming week.”

Sounds like she’s already experiencing the joys of Obama Care.

Comment by papertiger (bb4d18) — 6/18/2009 @ 8:25 pm

4. Hillary Clinton has DRJ’s sympathy.

Comment by happyfeet (2d133f) — 6/18/2009 @ 8:36 pm

5. Gee, it sounds to me like Hillary was
    disoriented, or something. She had better watch out.
    She actually does serve at the discretion
    of the President.

Comment by jack (d9cbc5) — 6/18/2009 @ 9:02 pm

6. Thinking back on the piece you read, whose sympathy did we learn Hillary Clinton has?

a.) Barack Obama’s chief of staff who never ever gazes upon Barack Obama with homoerotic intensity.

b.) Meghan McCain who understands how very very hard it is getting into limousines and also getting out of limousines and then getting back into limousines and ooh is that a cupcake?

c.) DRJ who is just a nice person to where you can actually believe Hillary Clinton has her sympathy.

d.) Iranian students what are dying in the streets as the Barack Obama and his Secretary of State hoochie mock their pitiful yearnings for freedom while maintaining an imperturbable veneer of self-absorption.

Comment by happyfeet (2d133f) — 6/18/2009 @ 9:11 pm

7. D

Comment by JD (b186eb) — 6/18/2009 @ 9:17 pm

8. We did not learn C. We already knew that.

Comment by JD (b186eb) — 6/18/2009 @ 9:18 pm

9. happyfeet,

You and JD should think about posting at The Jury. I think you would have fun, and I would enjoy seeing what topics you post on and reading them as well.

Comment by DRJ (180b67) — 6/18/2009 @ 9:25 pm

10. I am a mindless rube from flyover country. All I could post about would be whatever Boss Limbaugh and my conservative overlords tell me every morning.

Comment by JD (b186eb) — 6/18/2009 @ 9:30 pm

11. thank you – and some day I will I’m almost sure – posting is very very hard from when I’ve tried. I think because it’s very non-spontaneous. Karl’s piece today was very smart I thought, btw. I’ll twitter once a day I decided yesterday and maybe that’ll help get me in the right frame of mind. So far I kind of suck at it and get a lot of angry red nonpositive numbers that make me redo everything.

Comment by happyfeet (2d133f) — 6/18/2009 @ 9:38 pm

12. I wish there was a way to subscribe to a happyfeet comment feed, like RSS happyfeet.

Comment by JD (b186eb) — 6/18/2009 @ 10:07 pm

13. Hillary stumbled in the State Department parking garage and broke her elbow.

Back in 2002, I stumbled over my blonde colored female dog in my garage and broke my elbow.

Must be some connection between the two–Hillary and my dog that is.

But my sympathy goes to her. Broken elbow = sling and bandage for a while until swelling does down, then an operation to put pins in the broken elbow to hold the parts together–then a cast to hold everything immobile for about six weeks–then removal of the cast and another operation to take the pins out of the elbow. Then four to six weeks of physical therapy to regain motion of wrist (wrist stiffens up because of six weeks in the cast) and the elbow. Then maybe two more years before you get full range of motion back.

If her right arm is her lamp throwing arm, it’s going to be a few years before she can wind up and throw one at Bill again with her old velocity.

Comment by Mike Myers (674050) — 6/18/2009 @ 10:25 pm

14. “A broken elbow is no fun.”

True. Neither is breaking an ankle, a leg, or a wrist.

I speak from personal experience.

Comment by Dave Surls (f2234b) — 6/18/2009 @ 10:43 pm

15. I broke my coccyx. That sucked.

Comment by JD (b186eb) — 6/18/2009 @ 10:48 pm

16. Dave Surls – and what did the guy say when you were breaking his ankle/leg/wrist ?

Comment by Alasdair (6b086e) — 6/18/2009 @ 10:50 pm

17. That’s nothing. Remember the time her husband busted a nut?

Comment by Jim Treacher (796deb) — 6/18/2009 @ 10:56 pm

18. DCSCA – Wrong again. (But you’re used to that right?) Hillary has health care through her employer, just as many other Americans do.

Comment by Have Blue (854a6e) — 6/18/2009 @ 11:03 pm

19. #18- Which is the United States government. And she has access to the Congressional plan which provides health services for life as well as spousal coverage from her husband, the former President. Government healthcare publicly funded by taxpayers.

Comment by DCSCA (9d1bb3) — 6/19/2009 @ 1:24 am

20. “Dave Surls – and what did the guy say when you were breaking his ankle/leg/wrist ?”

Ouch!

Comment by Dave Surls (f2234b) — 6/19/2009 @ 2:34 am

21. Any national healthcare plan should require the President and Congress to live with the same crapola system that they will foist on the rest of us.

Comment by JD (b6cfbe) — 6/19/2009 @ 5:13 am

22. A broken elbow is such an inconvenience.

Good thing we do not have a national King Drew.

Comment by Michael Ejercito (833607) — 6/19/2009 @ 9:41 am

23. Elbow fracture and/or dislocation is the second most common injury when attempting to vigorously pat yourself on the back. Either that, or she was again throwing darts at her Obama poster.

Comment by Marty Farty (73baad) — 6/19/2009 @ 9:49 am

24. She heard about the Argentine dancer, I take it.

Comment by mojo (8096f2) — 6/19/2009 @ 12:22 pm

25. Heh, here’s my broken elbow story:

When I was younger (like 5/6 years old,) I did gymnastics. Cartwheels are obviously a standard move you do in gymnastics. The way it works is, you go down with your hands facing away from you.

So one day we’re doing one-handed cartwheels. Works the same way, you go down with just one hand and it points away from your body. The reason your hand points away from your body is because if you point it back the other way, your elbow does this really nice twisting and snapping.

Happened when I was 6 and I’m 31 now. I still remember the feeling as it twisted and broke.

And yes, you get pins in your elbows, a cast for a nice long time, and when that cast comes off you get to do physical therapy to rebuild strength. Not fun.

Comment by Andy (adcfde) — 6/19/2009 @ 3:43 pm