6/8/2009

iowahawk on Funemployment

Filed under: Dog Trainer,Humor — Patterico @ 9:20 pm

iowahawk has some fun with the whole L.A. Times “funemployment” story:

What most people would call unemployment, Smalley embraced as “funemployment.” What other people would dismiss as starvation, he whimsically terms a “starve-cation.”

“Economic Depression” once conjured images of tent cities and desperate job-seeking drifters, but for hordes of jobless Gen Xers, there is a silver lining in the new upbeat economic meltdown. These giddily carefree hipsters tend to be single and in their 20s and 30s, happily unencumbered by the obligations of parenthood or teeth.

Heh. Read it all.

1. Here’s the odd thing: I’ve been “funemployed” twice in my life (1994-5 and 2000-2001). I had some savings, some severance and some small contract work which, put together, allowed me to spend most of a year and a half doing what I wanted.

It was great. Until. Then I had to go find a job.

Not everyone can do this, and I was fairly lucky both times to have enough things fall my way to make it work, but there is some truth to what the Times writes. Of course, Iowahawk has the flip side covered pretty well.

Comment by Kevin Murphy (0b2493) — 6/8/2009 @ 10:47 pm

2. The first comment was — troubling –

Comment by EricPWJohnson (913bf1) — 6/9/2009 @ 4:19 am

3. These giddily carefree hipsters tend to be single and in their 20s and 30s

Aren’t most Gen Xers in their 30s & 40s?

Comment by Miggs (28710a) — 6/9/2009 @ 6:39 am

4. Great… Obamaism has produced a new generation of Slackers.

The government is in great hands!

[/sarcasm]

Comment by GM Roper (85dcd7) — 6/9/2009 @ 7:19 am

5. happily unencumbered by the obligations of parenthood or teeth

No kidding! Dentists are expensive, and who needs teeth when you don’t have any food?

Comment by zmdavid (b1d3da) — 6/9/2009 @ 7:45 am

6. OK – zmdavid just made me spew my coffee.

Off to read the article, and weep for the future.

Comment by Em (b2bb53) — 6/9/2009 @ 7:55 am

7. Excellent.

Comment by Em (b2bb53) — 6/9/2009 @ 8:09 am

8. You know things are going badly when this will be called “progress” … 10 big banks get OK to repay $68B in bailout money

Comment by Neo (46a1a2) — 6/9/2009 @ 8:25 am

9. Neo… on the other hand, Obama can claim now that he saved 150,000 jobs in those banks!

Comment by GM Roper (85dcd7) — 6/9/2009 @ 8:30 am

10. As income taxes go up, so does “slacking.”

Comment by Kevin Murphy (0b2493) — 6/9/2009 @ 9:11 am

11. Lazy, self-absorbed Jesters. All of ‘em….

Comment by Andrew (6d7d89) — 6/9/2009 @ 5:33 pm

12. “The solution is dramatic and unavoidable: We have to end adolescence as a social experiment. We tried it. It failed. It’s time to move on. Returning to an earlier, more successful model of children rapidly assuming the roles and responsibilities of adults would yield enormous benefit to society.”

Comment by DaveinPhoenix (699f08) — 6/9/2009 @ 8:32 pm

13. [...] Under Bush, unemployment was called “unemployment.” Under Obama, L.A. Times editors came up with a different name, which I am not making up: “funemployment.” iowahawk had a field day with that one. [...]

Pingback by Patterico's Pontifications » Patterico’s Los Angeles Dog Trainer Year in Review 2009 (e4ab32) — 1/1/2010 @ 12:06 pm

14. [...] editors came up with a different name, which I am not making up: “funemployment.” iowahawk had a field day with that one. Obama promised to “create or save” 600,000 jobs. It was a bogus formulation to begin with, [...]

Pingback by Patterico’s Los Angeles Dog Trainer Year in Review 2009 « Cliftonchadwick's Blog (bd1ac8) — 1/1/2010 @ 8:39 pm