2/17/2009

Burris: Did I Seek to Raise Funds for Blago? No, No, No . . . Yes. A Bit. A Bit.

Filed under: General — Patterico @ 12:21 pm

Burris story #1: I said I wouldn’t raise money for Blago:

Burris, a Democrat like the former governor, said he told Robert Blagojevich he would not raise money because it would look like he was trying to win favor from the governor for his appointment. But he said he did ask the governor’s brother “what was going on with the selection of a successor” to Obama in the Senate and “he said he had heard my name mentioned in the discussions.”

Burris story #2: OK, you got me:

U.S. Sen. Roland Burris has acknowledged he sought to raise campaign funds for then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich at the request of the governor’s brother at the same time he was making a pitch to be appointed to the Senate seat previously held by President Barack Obama.

One is naturally reminded of the witch scene from the Holy Grail:

BEDEMIR: Did you dress her up like this?

CROWD: No, no… no … yes. Yes, yes, a bit, a bit.

D’oh!

1. Does this make it easier to prove perjury?

Comment by John Hitchcock (fb941d) — 2/17/2009 @ 12:42 pm

2. There is an air of truthiness to all of this.

At the time, Burris seemed like kind of a safe pick, someone that up to that point, seemed to have been not tainted by the shitstorm of this Baracky scandal. Apparently, that was an illusion.

Why did not one of these people simply tell the truth?

Comment by JD (c6800b) — 2/17/2009 @ 12:43 pm

3. ROTFLMAO!!! Illinois Dems! Ah, gotta love em.

Comment by J. Raymond Wright (d83ab3) — 2/17/2009 @ 12:56 pm

4. I’m beginning to sense a culture of something…….

Comment by Techie (6b5d8d) — 2/17/2009 @ 12:56 pm

5. I’m beginning to sense a culture of something…….

A festering culture of something it is.

Comment by Dan F (654636) — 2/17/2009 @ 1:03 pm

6. Lord Obama: “Get thee under thine Bus!”

Comment by Joe (dcebbd) — 2/17/2009 @ 1:08 pm

7. I met him once when I was 8. Don’t worry about all those old reports I knew him better than that. They were written to discredit me in advance.

Comment by John Hitchcock (fb941d) — 2/17/2009 @ 1:10 pm

8. Illinois politics has a certain um, scent, about it, no??

Comment by Gabby (3d8081) — 2/17/2009 @ 1:18 pm

9. I’ll bet there are Chicago pols who are genuinely surprised about the interest in this. This is business as usual.

Comment by Mike K (f89cb3) — 2/17/2009 @ 1:19 pm

10. It would never occur to these people to simply tell the truth. Burris is no different than Baracky in that his natural instinct, his gut, had him lie.

Comment by JD (c6800b) — 2/17/2009 @ 1:25 pm

11. Burris: I’m no Rod Blagojevich

But you accepted his appointment knowing the circumstances. You are an idiot if you think for a minute that you won’t be forever associated with him.

And you refused to honestly answer the questions put to you. That was YOU, not Blago.

The political rule seems to be that you don’t have to honestly answer any question that could make you look bad. And now that attitude is taking over our entire economy.

Look at me, mom – I’m a Senator! I’m qualified to fix the economy! Trust me to spend your trillion dollars!

Comment by Amphipolis (fdbc48) — 2/17/2009 @ 2:00 pm

12. Slimebags like Burris give news conferences while the two border patrol agents finally get out of prison.

Patrick, I know you supported the prosecution but I believe all along they should have had administrative action only. This just adds to disrespect for the law. The drug dealer got red carpet treatment.

Comment by MIke K (f89cb3) — 2/17/2009 @ 2:20 pm

13. A festering culture steaming heap of something it is.

There. Fixed it for you.

Comment by PatriotRider (37b91c) — 2/17/2009 @ 3:25 pm

14. Racists.

Comment by Obama über alles!!!!! (48dd5e) — 2/17/2009 @ 3:26 pm

15. Regarding Burris and his comments: I am not surprised. honesty has become a deep deep swamp of unreality

Comment by susan (5caecd) — 2/17/2009 @ 3:30 pm

16. Now that Burris is no longer useful, the Senate Ethics Committee may investigate him.

Comment by Scott Jacobs (90ff96) — 2/17/2009 @ 3:31 pm

17. [...] Blog Briefing Room, Chicago Breaking News, CBS News, The Politico, The Capitol Fax Blog, Patterico’s Pontifications, Think Progress, Chicago Sun Times, The Swamp, Hot Air, MyDD, DISSENTING JUSTICE, Commentary, [...]

Pingback by Burris in the hot seat | Political Byline (e78bc3) — 2/17/2009 @ 4:23 pm

18. Blago is the gift that keeps on giving.

Comment by Steven Den Beste (99cfa1) — 2/17/2009 @ 4:53 pm

19. Call me Mr. Conspiracy (Whoa! Not all at once!), but has anyone else wondered why this “new” information only came out after the stimulus bill vote?

Comment by L.N. Smithee (632f6b) — 2/17/2009 @ 4:54 pm

20. Even Burris might be too embarrassing for some of our esteemed Senators?
    Though, once you get used to dealing with Reid & Durbin, how could you not think highly of Burris?

Comment by AD - RtR/OS (58203b) — 2/17/2009 @ 4:58 pm

21. Dick Durbin and Harry Reid were correct in the initial Senate Seat rejection-some how the wheels came off thisbus.I wonder how Durbin feels today, after his accolades for this scumbag.

Comment by mike191 (bb5d3b) — 2/17/2009 @ 4:58 pm

22. Dick Durbin embarrassed of Burris? Dick from IL?

Now that is deep rooted racism if you ask me.

Comment by Obama über alles!!!!! (48dd5e) — 2/17/2009 @ 6:01 pm

23. [...] “right” seem to largely agree with we “lefties” on this issue, including: Hot Air’s Ed Morrissey; Political Byline’s Paleo Pat; Patterico’s [...]

Pingback by Attempted Murderer, Alleged Purjurer, Blago’s Illinois Appointee For President Obama’s Senate Seat, Sen. Roland Burris, To Undergo Senate Ethics Probe | THE GUN TOTING LIBERAL™ (2711a8) — 2/17/2009 @ 6:23 pm

24. That name is da bomb.

Comment by Obama über alles!!!!! (48dd5e) — 2/17/2009 @ 6:26 pm

25. I’d like to take a vote.
    Who is the bigger clown.
    Burris?
    or
    Biden?

Comment by libocrat (fc709d) — 2/17/2009 @ 6:36 pm

26. Hmmm … I’d say Biden proven, Burris alleged.

Comment by Obama über alles!!!!! (48dd5e) — 2/17/2009 @ 6:38 pm

27. It’s been quite a while since a Republican has been caught with her hand in the cookie jar or his hand on the wrong woman’s knee, eh?

The benefits of being out of power, or is there something going on here?

I am Diogenes, and I am looking for an honest Democrat!

Comment by Patricia (89cb84) — 2/17/2009 @ 7:38 pm

28. Patterico, I’m disappointed in you. You purposefully fail to note the very next statement.

“But she is a witch.”

Which makes it all OK.

Comment by Hoystory (b9390a) — 2/17/2009 @ 7:39 pm

29. Comment by Patricia — 2/17/2009 @ 7:38 pm

Of course you said it with much more class but I’m with you – don’t them make them honest anymore?

(I’m hopeful about Kirsten Gillibrand, though. She appears no-nonsense, straight up. And she likes guns).

Comment by Dana (137151) — 2/17/2009 @ 7:47 pm

30. Kirsten Gillibrand is already flip flopping on her ex-constituents.

Read the NY Post — Dicker is very good.

Comment by Obama über alles!!!!! (48dd5e) — 2/17/2009 @ 7:49 pm

31. Obama’s Senate seat has always been dirty. Even without Blagojevich. Ever since the filthy tactics he used to steal it from Jack Ryan. It would be better if it remained vacant until 2010 and a new election. It’s not like it would make all that much of a difference — Juggy was not even “present” for more than 154 days during his four years in the Senate. He will make the Presidency dirty too, the dirty little Daley lickspittle.

Comment by nk (e8cae4) — 2/17/2009 @ 8:52 pm

32. [...] Link. [...]

Pingback by Time For Roland Burris To Go - Pejman_Yousefzadeh’s blog - RedState (796605) — 2/17/2009 @ 10:59 pm

33. She turned me into a Newt!

I’m still waiting for the I got better

Comment by Amphipolis (fdbc48) — 2/18/2009 @ 6:21 am