Patterico's Pontifications

9/16/2008

Sarah Palin, Reporter

Filed under: 2008 Election — DRJ @ 12:08 pm



[Guest post by DRJ]

When all else fails, smear Sarah Palin as a teleprompter-using, tanning bed-loving, college-educated reporter:

“Teleprompter issues.

A tanning bed installed at the governor’s mansion in Juneau.

Lost in all her coverage — the notion that Gov. Sarah Palin, a college journalism major, is truly the first TV correspondent the nation is considering sending to the White House.”

I know Jake Tapper is “kidding” but why write this if he didn’t mean it as a smear?

Tapper makes better points when he questions Palin’s transparency and notes that she was “introduced to the public 18 days ago and has yet to hold a press conference.” I know the press will play gotcha but that’s a fact of life for Republican politicians. I hope the McCain campaign decides it’s time for Palin to speak out more.

— DRJ

131 Responses to “Sarah Palin, Reporter”

  1. I agree – time to let ‘er rip.

    Dmac (e639cc)

  2. Like her or not it is mind boggling that McCain felt this is the most qualified individual to assume the Presidency should anything happen to him.

    Bizzarro world we’re living in.

    jharp (f4bed7)

  3. The tanning bed story has already been debunked in many places. Those are common in Alaska and are used to combat seasonal affective disorder, which is a form of mild depression brought on by lack of light in winter. Anybody who watched Northern Exposure, the TV series about an Alaska town, will remember the little light source hats the town doctor passed out for the same reason. It’s amusing to see the ignorance come out on these stories.

    Mike K (6d4fc3)

  4. Obviously some minds boggle much easier than others.

    Old Coot (2f3a50)

  5. Old Coot,

    Good point.

    Some of try to make sense of the world we live in.

    Others blindly follow.

    jharp (f4bed7)

  6. Like him or not it is mind boggling that the Dems felt this is the most qualified individual to assume the Presidency.

    There, fixed that for ya’, harpy.

    We are all racist blind followers …

    JD (41e64f)

  7. “that’s a fact of life for Republican politicians. I hope the McCain campaign decides it’s time for Palin to speak out more.”

    I don’t know that most people care if it’s a press conference or a sit-down interview or a speech. Most people DO know by now that she has good reason to be very wary of the press. And it seems as good a time as any to change that “fact of life”. Between a bunch of reporters whinging on about lack of “availability” and a bunch of cheap shots and misleading clips, I think the former is the lesser evil.

    brobin (c07c20)

  8. Keep laughin’ monkey boy, there’s a move afoot to encourage “none of the above” and Ron Paul voters to send a real message to the GOP — write in Palin for President this year, and not wait until 2012.

    capitano (211a15)

  9. jharpo marxist wrote: Like her or not it is mind boggling that McCain felt this is the most qualified individual to assume the Presidency should anything happen to him.

    Bizzarro world we’re living in.

    OK, harpy, let’s play a game. Which “qualified” Republican would you have rather McCain picked?

    If you’re so worried for the republic that Palin is just a third brain aneurysm heart attack from lung cancer from smoking another deadly attack of melanoma away from the Oval Office, I want to know which GOP luminary you would feel confident about taking the reins.

    Don’t chicken out and say, “ANYBODY ELSE!” Be specific.

    Now…once you’ve identified that qualified Republican, tell me how you would run against him/her if you were in charge of the Obama campaign.

    In the interest of consistency, I will do just as I have asked you to do. Of all the “qualified” people that were available for the VP slot, I would have rather had…Joe Biden (by default). I don’t believe the office is best served by Senators, but there is a dearth of outstanding Governors or ex-Governors of either party. Nobody else but Biden in the Dem race this year is a grownup (including Mike Gravel) with the sole exception of Hillary, and I think her ill-fated excursion into setting national policy during Slick’s administration disqualifies her for running the entire operation.

    How would I run against Biden if I were running the McCain campaign? Thusly: For all his experience on foreign policy, he’s been dead flat wrong too many times in immensely important matters. If he had been POTUS when 9/11 occurred, he would have pushed for sending $300,000,000 to Iran as a good faith gesture to an “Arab” nation (Persians aren’t Arabs, of course, and I’m sure Charlie Gibson will get around to telling him that). Who knows what the Iranians would have done with that money (hint: NUKES!) And had President Bush listened to Biden instead of Gates, Petraeus, and Crocker, Coalition forces would have attempted to subdivide Iraq into ethno-religious regions, likely leading to fighting (figuratively and literally) over oil revenue on top of the Shia/Sunni conflicts.

    Your turn! :)

    L.N. Smithee (e1f2bf)

  10. Palin’s record is better known than Obama’s.

    Everything that came to her governor’s desk had to be acted upon, even if the action was inaction. Obama was busy leaving little trace of what he stood for while in the Ill. Senate and voting “present” over 130 times. One exception to this was his stand on infanticide rather than resuscitation for infants surviving a “botched” abortion.

    People have also commented upon Obama’s lack of executive experience. (Running a presidential campaign hardly counts, especially when you’re listening to campaign managers and consultants all of the time.) But he actually has years of executive experience to draw upon, but he hasn’t referred to it. Apparently he helped to oversee the distribution of maybe $150 million plus dollars along with Bill Ayers, a “guy who was just an acquaintance from the neighborhood”, with the Annenberg Challenge in Chicago.

    Her actions as governor and mayor seem to be getting quite a bit of scrutiny, and she is out on the stump speaking all of the time, right?

    So what is wanted are more extended interviews by reporters who don’t know the answers to their own question so they have material to edit how they see fit.

    Let’s see debates and town meetings covered live. Let’s see her be given freedom to “counter-grill” the reporter such as, “Which and who’s version of the ‘Bush Doctrine’ do you mean, for as you know it has clearly meant different things along the way to different people.

    A few things appear true, Democrats don’t like her, the established hierarchy of Republicans in Alaska don’t like her, but over 80% of the Alaskan citizenry do.

    MD in Philly (3d3f72)

  11. Ronald Reagan is among the most beloved presidents, and used to be a sportscaster (on radio, not TV). As a sportscaster, he was able to think on his feet, and talk to real Americans about the hard decisions our nation faced.

    Palin, also a former sportscaster, would be excellent at interfacing with out people. Sorry she’s not a Con Law professor, but those guys generally don’t know anything about the Constitution or sports anyway (implicit to ordered liberty? give me a break).

    Tanning beds are not just for vanity when the sun isn’t shining half the year, they are for vitamin d. It’s just a personal item, like Coca-Cola or a nice TV, that she spent her own money on. How lame an attack!

    Juan (4cdfb7)

  12. We are NEVER offered a choice as to the most qualified person for the job in any electoral office.
    We are allowed to choose who we think is the best of those who are running. You cannot compel anyone to run for office; all you can do is not vote for someone who is running that you disagree with.

    See: Sherman, William Tecumseh; Buckley, William “Bill”

    That is a fact from Day One of the Republic!

    Another Drew (1b62fd)

  13. Don’t you just love how the leftist feckwads denigrate Palin endlessly? Oh, she lied about the Bridge To Nowhere, etc. Even though the AK dem’s website agreed she opposed the bridge before they scrubbed the website of that fact?

    If Palin were really such a big loser, don’t you fever swamp Obama-fellators agree you’d welcome her on the ticket? The fact is prima donna ball-less Obama is unhappy being upstaged by a woman, who has more experience that he does, can speak off the cuff with endless umming and ahhing and actually took on her own party in Alaska while Obama was busy serving as mayor daley’s little girlie man, doing hizzoner’s bidding in Ill. legislature and the US Congress. And why isn’t Obama proud of his Annenberg Challenge days with Ayers, getting freebies from convicted crook Rezno and listening to racist preacher Wright for two decades, in which he claims to be unaware of the nasty stuff in Wright’s sermons that found their way to being sold on dvds by the church??

    madmax333 (0c6cfc)

  14. OK, harpy, let’s play a game. Which “qualified” Republican would you have rather McCain picked?

    Mitt Romney.

    And I’d run on the issues.

    jharp (f4bed7)

  15. Why bother with a press conference? It isn’t going to make the media happy, satisfy the left or help on the right. The event will be one big contest to see who can “get her.” She can’t win it. No matter how well she answers, the media and the left will simply distort it or keep after her until they get a gotcha moment. As Joshua said in Wargames, “A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?”

    Also, why bother when the poll numbers are all trending their way. Keep her away from the press and out on the trail meeting the voters. Let the media and libs attack her, it just helps her.

    She can get her message out without holding a press conference.

    ThreeSheets (ee1628)

  16. “… can speak off the cuff without endless umming and ahhing…”

    There, fixed that for you, max.
    Other than that, you did nail it.

    Another Drew (1b62fd)

  17. Of course the Harpster picks the one candidate most likely to get completely waxed in this election. Beautiful.

    Dmac (e639cc)

  18. Wow, lets give Harp a round of applause. He’d run on “the issues”.

    Isn’t that swell.

    Techie (84f4ca)

  19. 15 AD- mucho gracias…Ok, some dipwad said libs would have liked an issue man like Romney. Yeaah, right. We’d be hearing about flip flops and the evil polygamist Mormon religion ad nauseum. Alas the media doesn’t seem curious about Obama’s religion or the negative in his past. Imagine if McCain said he (McCain) was a cokehead as a yoot? As it is, even though McCain admits he was a big asshole to his first wife many years ago, the left equates that to bad character. I’m surprised they don’t harp more on fact he admitted the commie broke him at the Hotel Hanoi. I know some sites do say he’s the Manchurian Candidate.
    We really need to hear and see more of patriots like fat piggy Moore, Michelle O. and skanky whores like Randi Rhodes, she of kill Bush and and Palin screws teen boys infamy. Normal people might appreciate what assholes they are in reality.

    madmax333 (0c6cfc)

  20. I think the real problem with Palin is that she has Marxist policies. Her redistribution of wealth by increasing taxes on oil companies. Just what we need another Maxist making oil exploration more expensive and discouraging the oil companies to do get the oil out of the ground and to the American people. Of course since her AIP husband hates America, maybe that is her plan. We don’t need a Vice President nursed at the teat of Lenin!!

    stu (a7f174)

  21. I assume that’s a parody, Stu.

    Dmac (e639cc)

  22. “I know the press will play gotcha but that’s a fact of life for Republican politicians.”

    Corrected.

    I think there is large bipartisan support for better press coverage in general.

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  23. If it’s not parody, it demonstrates a tragic case of bigotry, blended with stupidity.

    Another Drew (1b62fd)

  24. Ooops – I guess “strikethrough” doesn’t actually work on this blog (shows up in preview though).

    Everyone please imagine a line through the word “Republican” in my above post (ie: “the press will play gotcha but that’s a fact of life for politicians”) – thank you for your attention to this less than important matter :)

    [Bob: I fixed it. Strike-through works but the code for it doesn’t work. Instead of using the “s” code like this: < s > or < /s >, you have to spell out the word “strike” like this: < *strike*> or < */strike*> and omit the asterisks. Another Drew also explains it below. — DRJ]

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  25. Or it might be astroturfing.

    As a lifelong concerned Christian Republican, I’m concerned.

    Evil Pundit (843b74)

  26. Duh, I don’t think “Marxist” Palin shoved the state’s adjusted share of the oil pie revenues down the oil companies’ throats. Was it not a negotiated deal? The oil revenue sharing had been around well before Palin ever took office.

    How about spinning how she is screwing over the rest of America by pushing for ANWR to be exploited? You know, like it is such a pristine wilderness that ought not to be spoiled and whose production would be insignificant according to dem pols? Nevermind that area is miniscule, easily protected from bad things happening and would employ large numbers of Alaskans. Why are liberals so ready to kiss foreign oil producers’ asses?

    madmax333 (0c6cfc)

  27. Bob @ #23…
    As someone who has suffered through that problem, just type in “trike” after the “s” in the start-strike, and end-strike, symbols.

    Another Drew (1b62fd)

  28. Not as concerned as I am, and I can out – Christian/Republican you at least twice over.

    Dmac (e639cc)

  29. “I hope the McCain campaign decides it’s time for Palin to speak out more.”

    Don’t worry DRJ, she will. She just has to cram for the test a lot more.

    Oiram (983921)

  30. ” smear Sarah Palin as a teleprompter-using,”

    “There Ohio was right out in front, right in front of me,” Palin said. “The teleprompter got messed up, I couldn’t follow it, and I just decided I’d just talk to the people in front of me. It was Ohio.”

    This struck many of us — who, as she spoke, followed along with her prepared remarks, and noted how closely she stuck to the script — as an unusual claim. (Especially those of my colleagues on the convention floor at the time, reading along on the prompter with her, noticing her excellent and disciplined delivery, how she punched words that were underlined and paused where it said “pause,” noting that “nuclear” was spelled out for her phonetically.)”

    The teleprompter didn’t fuck up. She’s lying, and so are you.

    Please note: few people who work on TV will ever bad-mouth a teleprompter. And Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., works with a prompter not infrequently.
    But it’s different to use one, and to use one but imply that you weren’t.

    Was Palin doing that tonight?
    McCain-Palin campaign spokesman Tucker Bounds says no, and disputes any notion that Palin was implying that she ad-libbed the speech by saying she “couldn’t follow it” on the teleprompter, so she “just decided I’d just talk to the people in front of me.”
    McCain-Palin spokeswoman Jill Hazelbaker says, “She was off the prompter at points.”
    Bounds says anyone who thinks Palin was implying that her speech was ad-libbed is unfairly reading into her remarks. Whether she was reading the speech or had it memorized, she delivered it and delivered it well, he says.
    I should note that, after Palin’s speech, some conservative bloggers reported that sources close to McCain had told them that the teleprompter had broken and Palin “winged it.”
    “The teleprompter did not break,” wrote Politico’s Jonathan Martin. “Sarah Palin delivered a powerful speech last night, but she did not ‘wing it’…”

    jAR (6b0755)

  31. JAR,

    I think you need to learn to argue without calling everyone who disagrees with you a liar.

    DRJ (0754ed)

  32. Jharpy, I would be willing to wager Palin knows not only what number her state is out of fifty, she probably knows how many states are members of the United States. A number a few less than 57 as the smart one stated. That alone should disallow him from the Presidency. One must know how many states there are. Obama’s swift mind did not seem to hold that information. I wonder just how well he is going to do at the debates without a teleprompter.

    Zelsdorf Ragshaft III (e18128)

  33. You should take your own advice sometime, Oiram/OompaLoompa – your posts attacking Karl on points you didn’t understand in the first place were truly hilarious.

    Dmac (e639cc)

  34. JARHEAD, here’s The One actually bringing a teleprompter out to the middle of rodeo stadium (this is not a joke):

    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/15/obamas-teleprompter-hits-the-trail/

    What an empty suit – do you have any idea how ridiculous that looked to those in attendance? Even the leftard CNN had to point out the obvious. And you’ve got the stones to question anything regarding Palin’s use/non – use of a teleprompter at this point?

    Dmac (e639cc)

  35. #32 Well Put, and very true Dmac. Of course I am not running for V.P.

    Oiram (983921)

  36. Maybe I’m smart enough to hunt caribou from a helicopter Dmac.

    Oiram (983921)

  37. Ya think?

    Oiram (983921)

  38. Palin Killed Babies…voted bill to save fetus

    stu (a7f174)

  39. You may be smart enough Oiram. However, given your style of argumentation and lack of self-awareness I doubt you have the discipline or the maturity to become a good rifleman.

    bonhomme (a0e80f)

  40. Why such the vitriol against Gov. Palin? It is really disproportionate to her positions.

    JD (5f0e11)

  41. Oiram, are you smart enough to pay the fine ?

    Back in the days of the Kennedys, Robert took the king of Jordan brown bear hunting in Alaska, Kodiak Island, I think. Anyway, they shot the bear from a plane. The guide lost his license and the Kennedys never even paid him. You don’t shoot from planes except in the wolf thinning hunts.

    The Kennedys were famous for never paying bills.

    Mike K (f89cb3)

  42. Zelsdorf Ragshaft III @ #31 – Irony is kinda lost on you isn’t it?

    (p.s. thanks DRJ & Another Drew – now I just look stupid stupider for my second comment ;))

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  43. Mike K, “I knew JFK……. and Palin is no JFK”

    Of course I never knew JFK, but I thought I would give you a semi Loyd Bentsen 1988 vice presidential quote.

    Quite Aprapo to Palin’s Quailness.

    Oiram (983921)

  44. “DRJ”
    I think you have to stop spreading lies.

    jAR (6b0755)

  45. Here’s another smear: (true unfortunately)

    Interesting:
    Palin allies are suing to halt the trooper probe.

    Yeah they are claiming that this is a “McCarthyistic” inquisition.

    It’s amazing that “McCarthyistic” Democrats were able to file charges against Palin prior to her being named V.P. They must be psychics or something.

    What’s that you say? 3 of the 5 “McCarthyistic”’s going after Palin were Republicans?

    What a sham :(

    Oiram (983921)

  46. stu-pid wrote: Palin Killed Babies … voted bill to save fetus

    ???

    Dude, get out of here and come back when you’re not text messaging.

    L.N. Smithee (d1de1b)

  47. Do we have JAR and jAR going again?

    [No. JAR and jAR are the same person. I think he missed capitalizing the “j” and it repeated in subsequent comments. — DRJ]

    daleyrocks (d9ec17)

  48. jharp disappeared and Oiram appeared again. Hmmmmm.

    daleyrocks (d9ec17)

  49. #46 Yeah Daley, it must be tough existing in the world when all of us logical thinking people look alike. Should we wear name tags for you outside of the Blogosphere too?

    Oiram (983921)

  50. “Palin allies are suing to halt the trooper probe.”

    Yeah, that’s a scandal that really has legs – a cop caught abusing his position, leading to the Governor’s attempts to get rid of him, only to be stymied by the policeman’s union.

    I guess OompaLoompa is also OK with wanton tasering by an officer – “do tase me, bro!”

    Dmac (e639cc)

  51. Drinking early today, Mario?

    JD (5f0e11)

  52. 49~

    us logical thinking people look alike. Should we wear name tags for you

    No, your rather unique spelling of apropos distinctly identifies you. Appropriately enough.

    EW1(SG) (13af37)

  53. oiram wrote:

    Yeah they are claiming that this is a “McCarthyistic” inquisition.

    It’s amazing that “McCarthyistic” Democrats were able to file charges against Palin prior to her being named V.P. They must be psychics or something.

    She’s right. They’ve been after her before she was selected, but the ante has been raised now that she’s a serious threat to Barack Obama.

    The investigator, Steven Branchflower, is in the pocket of Democrat Tucker French, an Obama supporter who has publicly stated that the probe will be an “October Surprise” and he has adjusted the pace of the investigation in the hopes that will happen.

    Get a gander of two of the Alaska pols on the investigation committee, circled in red.

    And once again, the MSM twists the facts about the situation to make it seem as if she’s being unkind to her poor sister’s ex-hubby when the truth is that he had no business remaining on the force. And if he WAS still

    L.N. Smithee (d1de1b)

  54. LN – You must be aware that facts are irrelevant to Teh Narrative.

    JD (5f0e11)

  55. Does that mean we’re racists, JD? (rhetorical question)

    Dmac (e639cc)

  56. Sham?

    I heard there is plenty of evidence that the fired lawman in question had shown multiple instances of blatant insubordination, such as bypassing the Gov. and working with legislatures directly on getting funding where he and Palin were at odds.

    And as far as “troopergate” goes, even if that was why the guy was fired, take a poll of the law enforcement people you know and ask them what should happen to an officer who uses a Taser on their stepson.

    Republicans among those “out to get her”? Of course, that’s the point! She won the Republican primary against the Republican incumbent, and the previous “powers that be” didn’t like it. She’s the most popular gov. in the country. You don’t get that way by being with one of the “packs”, you get that reputation by doing the right thing even if that means going against the entrenched establishment.

    MD in Philly (3d3f72)

  57. Of course I never knew JFK, but I thought I would give you a semi Loyd Bentsen 1988 vice presidential quote.

    Quite Aprapo to Palin’s Quailness.

    Comment by Oiram

    Quail missed an opportunity there and probably was poorly staffed. Bentson lied about knowing Jack Kennedy but Quail was not quick enough or was poorly prepped so he did not jump on the lie.

    The trooper story is one of an attempt by Democrats to hijack a situation where the legislature has no role.

    Mike K (2cf494)

  58. LN & JD, The ‘facts’ are that the “Troopergate” investigation was set to wrap up on October 31 prior to the announcement of Palin as VP (see).

    The committee decided to move that date up to October 10, “rather than at the end of October, which would be right on top of the Nov. 4 election”

    One party (and a certain presidential campaign) is using tactics to delay the findings of the investigation until after the Nov. 4th election; one is not. You tell me which is in the better interests of the public?

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  59. JAR, it is far from amusing that you call DRJ a liar. Very far.

    SPQR (26be8b)

  60. MD: “the fired lawman in question had shown multiple instances of blatant insubordination, such as bypassing the Gov. and working with legislatures directly on getting funding where he and Palin were at odds”

    Yes he had attempted to seek federal money for investigating and prosecuting sexual assault cases
    . I’m not sure they want to keep running with that narrative however?

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  61. I see no reason for Palin to hold any news conferences. She is doing very well talking over the heads of the media to her target audience, the people. Why give Obama’s lapdogs a chance to play gotcha when she can campaign to voters. I’d give Howard Dean a better chance of treating Palin fairly than the average “journalist”.

    The longer she stays away from the press, the crazier they’ll get. And reporters trying to smear Palin are like gold to her campaign. I don’t like McCain and don’t plan to vote for him, but the best thing he can do for himself is run against the media.

    Ken Hahn (6b4ba8)

  62. Loblaw, we can run with that narrative as long as Democrats run with protecting a trooper who tasers his stepson.

    SPQR (26be8b)

  63. JAR,

    A lot of this dispute could have been avoided if you had simply identified the problems you have with something I say, rather than resorted to name-calling because the conservative posts and comments here make you unhappy. I’m glad to listen to liberal and contrasting viewpoints because I’m not interested in preaching to a choir. But you need to actually make your point if you want me to understand.

    So now I’ve re-read this thread several times and let me start by saying I don’t have time to work, conduct my personal life, post here and read every comment, let alone read everything 2-3 times. That’s why I need you to specifically identify problems you have with what I write and, if I don’t understand you the first time, please try again.

    My best guess is that you believe I think Sarah Palin doesn’t use a teleprompter — ever — and that’s why you think I’m a liar. Of course Sarah Palin uses a teleprompter and of course she used one in her speech at the GOP Convention. Was there a glitch in the teleprompter at the Convention? You say no, others say yes. I happen to believe there might have been a glitch or that she couldn’t see the teleprompter at some points of her speech, but I don’t know. But that wasn’t the point of the post.

    The teleprompter reference was made by Jake Tapper in his post that I linked and reprinted. My point was that Tapper focused on things reporters do — use teleprompters, get tans, and pursue journalism degrees — in an apparent effort to tar Palin as … (shock!) … a reporter.

    It struck me funny because it was written by a reporter and we all know reporters have low favorability ratings. Who knows that better than a reporter, and what better way to discredit Palin than to make her sound like a reporter?

    DRJ (0754ed)

  64. The more she talks, the more she lies. Can you blame her for not wanting to face the press?

    love2008 (1b037c)

  65. SPQR, or protecting a competent, well respected police commander who was fired for doing nothing wrong except for not illegally complying with the whims of his boss?

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  66. love2008,

    This is not the time to start calling people liars.

    DRJ (0754ed)

  67. #66
    I was refering to Palin. Is that not who this post is about? Or am I not supposed to call her out on her half truths?

    love2008 (1b037c)

  68. Odd that you can’t spend any time on Obama’s half truths, love2008.

    But then, any chance to call names seems your only interest.

    SPQR (26be8b)

  69. #68
    Atleast someone agrees that Palin is mostly deliberately inaccurate, in her words. That’s a good place to start. Is it any wonder her charm is waning by the day. Or should I say, “by the speeches”?

    love2008 (1b037c)

  70. #68
    But then, any chance to call names seems your only interest.
    Look who’s talking! Did you actually just say that? Talk about kettle calling pot black.

    love2008 (1b037c)

  71. #68
    Oh. Also came across this in the link you posted. Maybe you missed it.
    The Obama campaign argues that in January 2008, Obama “was the only candidate to propose a fiscal stimulus plan centered on tax rebate checks for the broad majority of Americans. The bipartisan bill that passed less than a month later was centered on rebate checks to the broad middle class along the lines of what Obama proposed.”

    That is true.

    love2008 (1b037c)

  72. Obama proposed a tax rebate aimed at middle class families. Clinton’s approach, conversely, focused on specific programs targeted at individuak problems, such as home-heating and mortgage subsidies.

    But though the bill that eventually passed more closely resembled Obama’s than either Clinton’s or McCain’s, those involved in the drafting of the legislation say it was more a matter of agreeing on a good idea and was not a matter of, as Obama claimed, his proposal having “formed the basis for a bipartisan stimulus package that passed the Congress.”

    In Vienna, Ohio, this afternoon, McCain said that Obama today “claimed that the Congressional stimulus package was his idea. That’s news to those of us in Congress who supported it. Senator Obama didn’t even show up to vote.”

    That’s true. (McCain was there, and he voted for it.)

    Moreover, Obama today was guilty of inflating his role in the creation of that bill.

    — jpt

    ROA (bea1d3)

  73. #67 – The more she talks, the more she lies. Can you blame her for not wanting to face the press?

    Your first press conference will be held after most of us have died.

    😉

    Icy Truth (d50358)

  74. Here’s a link to some tanning beds.

    Interesting. The commercial models can run upwards of approx. $8K. Strange, as the link in tapper’s piece claimed that they can run to ‘$35,000′.

    That’s quite a difference, and when I saw the description, it really jumped out at me. If someone were to ask me how much a tanning bed were to cost, I would answer (after having Googled around) that a consumer model would cost around 2k-ish.

    This is not a mistake. The deliberate claim of a $35,000 tanning bed serves to smear Palin as a narcissistic and self-absorbed elitist – Something the Obama campaign can ill afford to be throwing around, especially on a day where his fundraising dinner fetches 28k a plate.

    I would suspect that Tapper has begun to receive notes regarding his future employment if he doesn’t fall ‘in line’, and soon. There is nothing those on the left will not due in their foaming lunge for power. They have no soul, no heart, no scruples, and no courage.

    For a group of people describing themselves as pro-choice, they seem to be completely unable to choose to think for themselves.

    Apogee (366e8b)

  75. I believe Obama is due for a press conference, it’s been quite a few months now and he only answered six or seven questions before he got testy and took his marbles home. Don’t tell me there’s a double standard on this.

    Gary Ogletree (37c151)

  76. Bob- Illegally complying with the whims of his boss? Really? Apparently you have no idea what at-will means, and approve of tazering children.

    JD (5f0e11)

  77. Apparently you have no idea what at-will means, and approve of tazering children

    And death-threats, abuse of power, and drinking and driving.

    Again, I’ve been known to drink and drive, and *I* think Wotten should have been kicked so hard to the curb he should have bounced.

    Scott Jacobs (a1c284)

  78. Scott – Those appear to have been that clown’s good days. SHOCKA that someone like Bob Noballs would defend him.

    JD (41e64f)

  79. Doesn’t Tapper know that Ronald Reagan began his career as a radio sportscaster, reading fake baseball game calls? What an idiot!

    rockmom (e42807)

  80. Doesn’t Tapper know that Ronald Reagan began his career as a radio sportscaster, reading fake baseball game calls?

    To be fair, I think he only did that once when the ticker-tape machine went down…

    Scott Jacobs (a1c284)

  81. Bob,

    It makes no difference how good the intent of the lawman in question. If his cause was just and right there are ways to do it that do not include deceit in trying to work around your boss.

    MD in Philly (3d3f72)

  82. #57

    “The trooper story is one of an attempt by Democrats to hijack a situation where the legislature has no role.”

    So let me get this straight Mike, the trooper story was an attempt to hijack….. and they did this before anyone knew about Palin being chosen?

    You really are reaching……. just another McCain camp lie I guess eh?

    Oiram (983921)

  83. #75 & Scott @#76, I’m not aware of Monegan doing any of those things? You know, the guy who actually got fired – wrongly. It’s not like she ever said she fired him because he wouldn’t root out the rotten apples in his squad.

    I agree Wooten was a rotten cop, and exactly the kind of person who should not be in a police uniform. Why wasn’t Palin spending her time overhauling whatever disciplinary body went so lenient on Wooten, or directing Monegan to do so? No, instead she spent time applying pressure to Monegan to illegally manufacture cause to dismiss Wooten. So now we have one bad cop still working (and effectively fire-proof now) and by everyone’s account (including Palin’s) a very good head cop fired. And we wonder why certain types of Republicans appear unable to govern effectively.

    MD @#80, I think “deceit” is an unfair characterisation and I’d be more persuaded by your argument if Palin had ever addressed her concerns in that regard with Monegan directly – i.e. “Walt I can’t have you out there undermining me.” Instead we have:

    In an interview Monday night, Monegan said Palin never raised concerns about his management. In fact, at an event in May, she singled him out and praised his efforts to reduce violence against native women.
    “In my time as a commissioner, the governor has never talked to me about complaints about my efforts,” Monegan said.

    ….

    The last straw, the McCain campaign said, was in July, when Monegan planned to travel to Washington to seek federal money for a plan to assign troopers, judges and prosecutors who could exclusively handle sexual assault cases — one of the state’s most intractable crime problems.

    In a July 7 e-mail, John Katz, the governor’s special counsel, noted two problems with the trip: The governor hadn’t agreed the money should be sought, and the request was “out of sequence with our other appropriations requests and could put a strain on the evolving relationship between the Governor and Sen. (Ted) Stevens.”

    Four days later, Monegan was fired. He said he had kept others in the administration fully apprised of his plans to go to Washington.

    (sue me AP 😛 )

    Yes we didn’t want Alaska’s top cop seeking Washington money for a serious problem when it might complicate Ted Stevens efforts to get Washington money to study seal DNA and crab mating habits. Note the “kept others in the administration fully apprised of his plans to go to Washington.”

    I can just smell the reformin’ she’ll bring to Washington. Smells like Gonzales.

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  84. #82 – Oiram

    and they did this before anyone knew about Palin being chosen?

    — The Democrats in the Alaskan state legislature, you mean? What are the odds they would take any opportunity to attack a sitting Republican governor?

    Icy Truth (a38535)

  85. Icy Truth, no I think Oiram meant the four Democrats and eight Republicans on Alaska’s Legislative Council who voted unanimously to investigate.

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  86. Bob…
    A good question would be how many of those Republicans actually supported Sarah Palin in the Primary?
    We know the Dems are going to be out to get her; but, there are a lot of GOP’s that have their knickers in a knot over her electoral coup in the 2006 Primary.

    Another Drew (8a6fd1)

  87. Because of the seriousness of the charges !!!!!!!!!!!11eleventy

    JD (41e64f)

  88. Drew, Quite possibly – the test might be to see how many voted to follow up with the issuance of supoenas. This story doesn’t really lay out the count (it appears only 1 Republican?), but it does have a great pull out:

    “Let’s just get the facts on the table,” said Huggins, who appeared in camouflage pants to vote during a break from moose hunting.
    😀

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  89. I agree Wooten was a rotten cop, and exactly the kind of person who should not be in a police uniform. Why wasn’t Palin spending her time overhauling whatever disciplinary body went so lenient on Wooten, or directing Monegan to do so?

    Because he was the guy who SHOULD have fired Wooten, but refused to do so.

    Such a person isn’t needed, and should be replaced, in the hopes that the next guy is willing to actually do the job right.

    Scott Jacobs (a1c284)

  90. Again, the idea of an at-will employee is lost on these people. Let them defend someone that tazers his 10 year old child.

    JD (41e64f)

  91. Bob…
    …“Let’s just get the facts on the table,”…

    Am I the only one reminded of the great October Surprise investigation of GHWB, and if he met with reps of the Iranian Mullahs between the Election in 1980, and the Inaugeration in 1981?

    “The seriousness of the charge demands an investigation”…Speaker of the House, Thomas Foley (paraphrased).

    Another Drew (8a6fd1)

  92. All I want to know is why does Obama’s camp get accused of playing politics with these Palin investigations, when the whole thing was started prior to Palin being chosen as McCain’s running mate?

    All I ever heard from people here at Patterico was how good of a choice Palin was because it took the Media and the Obama camp completely off guard.

    Based on that, how dare anyone put the blame on Obama for troopergate?

    Oiram (983921)

  93. Actually, I read today the legislative committee is 14 people, 10 Republicans and 4 Democrats and their approval was unanimous. The Alaska AG signed off on an independent investigation, which, of course, he now opposes.

    Personally, I think they should just compromise. Instead of their original plan to release findings in October, just amend the legislation to produce a finding in December, i.e. after the election. Put the investigation on hold.

    After all, Palin is refusing to talk with investigators and the AG has indicated state employees will not honor subpoenas (ah, respect for the process….politicians suck), so it is apparently her desire to run out the clock. Let her.

    timb (a83d56)

  94. Mario – Maybe if his supporters were not pushing this and referencing October announcements, maybe it would not be a big deal. Actually, it is only a big deal to people that approve of tazing 10 year old children.

    JD (41e64f)

  95. JD…
    It really brings a whole new dimension to break-dancing.

    Another Drew (8a6fd1)

  96. Oh sure JD, attack Palin on her competence! I mean how hard is it to craft the statement “Walt Monegan has lost my confidence.” instead of the … well, I don’t know how many excuses she’s actually up to by now – but too many that it’s too late to go back to a simple declarative sentence.

    You are obviously a sexist! I’m sure Carly will back me up.

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  97. Bob – I was not addressing the Gov. I was mocking you.

    JD (41e64f)

  98. Racist

    JD (41e64f)

  99. I think Oiram meant the four Democrats and eight Republicans on Alaska’s Legislative Council who voted unanimously to investigate.

    — 4 Dems and 10 GOPers, but thanks for trying to count.

    Icy Truth (db1823)

  100. Icy – They ran out of thumbs while counting.

    JD (41e64f)

  101. Hey IT, blame AP – watch out for lawsuits though 😉

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  102. #94 Hey JD, sorry about the dyslexia man….. didn’t know. Is that why you distort the facts so much? They have special schools for that, check em out.

    Jokes aside, I can tell you at least acknowledge that a major untruth is that Obama is personally ramroading Palin on troopergate. You don’t say it, but dyslexia aside you do see the time lines are so far skewed it’s beyond hysterics.

    Oiram (983921)

  103. It is beyond dispute that the people in charge of the ongoing investigation are Baracky supporters, and are investigating the firing of a freakin’ at-will employee. If that is too difficult for you to get you liberal-addled brain around, I feel for you.

    JD (41e64f)

  104. #103 The investigation was going to happen whether Palin ran for vice president or not………

    That’s what you need to wrap your head around JD.

    Oiram (983921)

  105. #103 JD – If Palin was truly vetted by McCain, then you might have a leg to stand on.

    Oiram (983921)

  106. #103 JD – If Palin was truly vetted by McCain, then you might have a leg to stand on.

    Did Obama know about Biden’s son’s impending indictment? Did he know that Biden voted for the bill that strongly pushed lenders into higher-risk loans?

    Was Biden truly vetted?

    Scott Jacobs (a1c284)

  107. JD – They ran out of thumbs while counting.

    — And you know where they’re keeping those thumbs.

    Icy Truth (db1823)

  108. JD @#103 There you go again impugning Palin’s competence! Sure if she hadn’t lied like rug initially and changed her reasons multiple times, none of this would have been investigated, but thats no reason to resort to sexism!

    Carly, Carly, clean up in aisle 3!

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  109. If Palin was truly vetted by McCain, then you might have a leg to stand on.

    — If you weren’t pissing your pants, terrified that the Messiah might actually lose, you wouldn’t give two shits as to whether “Palin was truly vetted” or not.

    Icy Truth (db1823)

  110. Oiram, it seems to be a matter of faith with some that the Palin thing is partisan, because….well, it’s happening. The fact that it was unanimous, she largely agreed to comply with it, it started two months before McCain tapped her….these are useless facts to the “Blame the Messenger” crowd.

    Nonetheless, elections shouldn’t turn on minor issues such as this. We all know the charges and most of the evidence and we can decide for ourselves

    timb (a83d56)

  111. Timb, there’s no call to be resorting to thoughtfulness and reason this late in the game – that way lies madness and good government!

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  112. #109……. Ah ICY, your giving up your hand dude….. oh wait your probably a craps player like your beloved McCain, so you wouldn’t understand.

    I could really care less whether Palin was vetted or not, it’s strange….. but otherwise a smart move…..takes the facts of the table you know.

    But….. when Obama gets accused of starting “troopergate” that’s when I suddenly give a crap about whether or not Palin was “vetted”.

    McCain’s camps says she was vetted and is proud of the media and Democrats being left “out of the loop”. Great……. but I still don’t understand how Palin’s lawyers are going to connect the dots to a Democratic “macarthiestic” tactic.

    Oiram (983921)

  113. timb – There is absolutely no need to project such a blatant sexual image (“McCain tapped her”) in a respectable blog such as this one.

    Icy Truth (db1823)

  114. Oiram –

    I could really care less whether Palin was vetted or not
    — Really? I don’t talk about any aspects of Obama’s candidacy for which I have no concern.

    But….. when Obama gets accused of starting “troopergate” that’s when I suddenly give a crap about whether or not Palin was “vetted”.
    — Why? What does one have to do with the other?

    “macarthiestic”
    — Ya know, it’s bad enough that you misspelled it; but, when you misspell it and put it in quotes . . .

    Icy Truth (db1823)

  115. #114 ICY, Thanks for pointing out that I misspelled a made up word by Palin’s lawyers.

    To answer your question about my comment (yours is in italics)

    But….. when Obama gets accused of starting “troopergate” that’s when I suddenly give a crap about whether or not Palin was “vetted”.

    – Why? What does one have to do with the other?

    I’m not disputing whether or not Palin was or was not disputed, but if she had been “vetted” the traditional way (for all to see), then maybe I could see your argument and Palin’s that “troopergate” is a direct attack from the Obama camp.

    Got it Icy?

    Just pointing out some of McCain/Palin’s absurdity.

    Oiram (983921)

  116. “#75 & Scott @#76, I’m not aware of Monegan doing any of those things? You know, the guy who actually got fired – wrongly.”

    Bob – Correct me if I’m wrong here, but there haven’t been any wrongful termination complaints on Walt’s part or ethics complaints from anyone. The legislature was just “looking into things.”

    Actual ethics complaints against Palin get handled by the Personnel Board, which is why she requested that investigation by that body.

    daleyrocks (d9ec17)

  117. #116 …and filed an ethics complaint against herself with them, which she followed up with a filing to have it dropped.

    Yep, no smoke and mirrors there – just business as usual for a open, transparent, reformin’ maverick….

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  118. Oh, I guess i should add that the 3 members of the Personnel Board were appointed by Gov. Palin, and presumably can be unappointed by her. Who knows maybe they are competent, principled individuals and Monegan will have someone new to eat lunch with?

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  119. #115 It’s been a long day. I just re-read what I wrote.

    I’m not disputing whether or not Palin was or was not disputed, but if she had been “vetted” the traditional way (for all to see), then maybe I could see your argument and Palin’s that “troopergate” is a direct attack from the Obama camp.

    The way it should read:

    I’m not disputing whether or not Palin was or was not “vetted”, but if she had been “vetted” the traditional way (for all to see), then maybe I could see your argument and Palin’s, that “troopergate” is a direct attack from the Obama camp.

    Oiram (983921)

  120. #117 – You didn’t address the termination issue Bob. Walt didn’t file a complaint did he? He’s just got some buddies looking out for him right?

    No one filed an ethics complaint against Sarah either, right?

    Just trying to set the record straight.

    daleyrocks (d9ec17)

  121. Bob – The point is without any complaints, there’s not really any there there is there? Nobody involved is bitching. It’s only uninvolved people. Why is that?

    daleyrocks (d9ec17)

  122. Oiram –

    Thanks for pointing out that I misspelled a made up word by Palin’s lawyers.
    — Palin’s lawyers coined the term “McCarthyistic”? ‘Fraid not, Binkie.

    if she had been “vetted” the traditional way (for all to see), then maybe I could see your argument and Palin’s that “troopergate” is a direct attack from the Obama camp.
    — Does lying make your . . . (what? . . . I used that one on him already? Are you sure? . . . Okay, okay. I’ll use a different — I said I believe you! Don’t bug me; he’s patiently waiting). When you throw out — or “up” — crap like this, do you feel any shame? One thing that Sarah Palin and I have in common is that neither one of us has asserted that “troopergate is a direct attack from the Obama camp”. She has never put forth that argument, and neither have I.

    Icy Truth (db1823)

  123. You’re right daleyrocks, you’ve made me see the light. Palin didn’t get rid of a competent, respected public safety commissioner who everyone (again including Palin) thought was doing a great job for petty, vindictive reasons. She made a sloppy, stupid, trooper who everyone generally agrees is a poor example of what should be serving on anyones police force virtually fire proof for petty, vindictive reasons. Competence and the due course of law are poor ways to run a government.

    Four more years! Four more years!

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  124. Well Bob, I guess that one more outsider’s way of looking at it.

    daleyrocks (d9ec17)

  125. From PowerLine…
    “Liberals have hacked into Sarah Palin’s private Yahoo email account…”

    Well, looks like those ladies who worked for Schumers’ Senate Campaign Cmte are busy again.
    First Michael Steele’s SocSec #;
    Now this!

    The most ethical political party in the World.

    Another Drew (8a6fd1)

  126. Bob Loblaw and Oiram have studiously ignored the fact investigator Steven Branchflower is in the pocket of — or, at the least, has been successfully pressured by — Obamanoid Hollis French.

    You don’t have to believe me. Listen to the unedited audio evidence. Amanda Carpenter’s summation from Townhall.com (bold, italics mine):

    Lawmakers approved 13 of Branchflower’s subpoena requests that day, which included one for Palin’s husband, Todd. Four other subpoenas were approved for aides Branchflower believes participated in a meeting called by Palin’s former chief of staff Mike Tibbles where Wooten’s firing was allegedly discussed.

    Rep. David Guttenberg (D.) asked Branchflower why he was requesting subpoenas for only those people attending the meeting and not Tibbles himself.

    Branchflower said he would “have to defer that question to Mr. French.”

    “I put the list together with, talking to Mr. French,” Branchflower added.

    Sen. Gene Therriault (R.) told Branchflower, “I don’t understand why you would have to defer that question to Sen. French. If it’s your list you’re in complete control of the list, then why can’t you answer the question?”

    Branchflower had no explanation. He only offered, “I’m not sure why his name was removed. My initial request was to have him on the list.” At that point, French interjected. “It appeared to me there wasn’t the political will to subpoena Tibbles.”

    “Something’s fishy here,” Therriault replied. “I mean either Mr. Branchflower conducts his investigation without direction, and now we know he’s been directed on the date and changing what he’s doing and how he’s doing it because of the time pressure he is feeling. And now we’re hearing that people that he’s trying to get information from, there’s direction going on on that, too.”

    timb wrote:

    Nonetheless, elections shouldn’t turn on minor issues such as this. We all know the charges and most of the evidence and we can decide for ourselves

    Under normal circumstances, I might agree, but the MSM is pulling out the stops to get Obama elected, and they are already obscuring the pertinent facts so they can turn this molehill into a mountain.

    L.N. Smithee (a0b21b)

  127. timb – There is absolutely no need to project such a blatant sexual image (”McCain tapped her”) in a respectable blog such as this one.

    Comment by Icy Truth — 9/17/2008 @ 2:26 pm

    Fine point, Icy.

    For Another Drew’s case, I lost count of the number of fallacies from Powerline and yourself (and I would like a non-partisan link to this “hacking”) Not all 13 year olds are liberals

    timb (649663)

  128. Another Drew wrote:

    Well, looks like those ladies who worked for Schumers’ Senate Campaign Cmte are busy again.
    First Michael Steele’s SocSec #;
    Now this!

    Don’t forget that Schumer’s former staffers that invaded Steele’s files also worked at Media Matters.

    L.N. Smithee (a0b21b)

  129. LN, I’ve ignored nothing – studiously or otherwise. I was initially agreeing with DRJ on the stupidity of the press’ ‘gotcha’ style of reporting; a practice I detest, but see practiced with more and more frequency (a favorite of certain commenters on this blog I might non sequitur). When I saw Monegan being accused of “multiple instances of blatant insubordination,” I felt that was both unfair and unsupported by the facts, and I said so and provided support. I also provided factual support that refuted your own assertion that the Legislation’s investigative reports’ due date was determined by partisan politics, pointing out that the original date was set prior to the Palin VP announcement and that the revised date was set to avoid landing 5 days before the election – both dates being set by a body that has a 3-1 Republican majority.

    Now were you to ask me (which you haven’t) if the investigation was inextricably tied up in partisan politics now, I’d say: yep, you bet. Does that necessarily impeach Mr. Branchflower?Absolutely not. I’m sure both our host & WLS are able to set aside partisan politics in the performance of their duties. But the Alaskan Democrats and Republicans, as well as the McCain campaign itself, are all now heavily invested in meddling in the affair for partisan gain. And I would agree with you that Mr. French himself would be included in that set (I don’t include Obama’s campaign, because I haven’t seen any evidence that would implicate it as yet).

    I believe Mr. Monegan’s firing was a blatant misuse of power by the Governor for vindictive reasons. I believe the Alaskan legislature has every right to investigate misuses of power whether they involve ‘serve at the pleasure of’ employees or not. I have no idea what they had hoped to achieve by the investigation – is there any action they can take other than to impeach? But I do believe the people have an absolute right to know when their elected officials are misusing their powers and therefore the investigation was warranted to begin with. Has Gov. Palin’s new prominence made the investigation even more political than it otherwise would have been? You betcha. Too bad – that was McCain’s decision. And so the Republicans will continue to throw up delay tactics, and the Democrats will use it against Palin to claim she is unfit for higher office and our grand political circus will carry on. The voters will ultimately get to decide whether they care one way or the other, and Monegan is still not going to get his job back.

    As for myself, I’ll continue to follow the case to see the outcome, continue to read this blog semi-frequently – mostly lurking, occasionally commenting (mostly with snark) in a civil and honest manner, trying to avoid being drawn in by the ridiculous ad hominem attacks that seem to be common currency around these parts – no, I’m neither a child taser fancier nor a racist, (although I’ll admit my 15 year old daughter occasionally tests my resolve on the former issue, thankfully I have no taser handy on those instances). And lets all try to avoid smearing people that don’t deserve smearing such as Walt Monegan – there’s plenty of people that do deserve it on both sides of the aisle. :)

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  130. http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5844710&page=1
    For posterity’s sake.

    I think I’m actually beginning to feel sorry for you guys.

    Bob Loblaw (6d485c)

  131. Another bit of meaningless fluff; kinda like the linker

    Icy Truth (0b0c9a)


Powered by WordPress.

Page loaded in: 0.4845 secs.