9/10/2008

Wherein I Behave Like Andrew Sullivan . . . [Or: I Ask Readers to Compile the Sexist Attacks on Palin]

Filed under: 2008 Election,General — Patterico @ 6:53 pm

. . . in that I lazily ask you to do the research for me. (Hey, at least I’m not getting paid for this.)

Here’s your assignment: compile the sexist attacks on Palin.

Each example must have a link. Here’s an example to get you started:

• Gary Kamiya of Salon wrote:

In a bizarre turnaround, the uptight Republicans are suddenly the party of sex, women, fun. They’re all about spontaneity, bucking convention, letting their freak flags fly. If it feels good, do it! Let Mr. Dignified, Obama, drone on about the economy or the resurgence of the Taliban or whatever boring downer of a subject he wants to lecture us on. Let that long-winded Joe Biden carry us back to that Poli Sci 201 class we fell asleep in. Hey, did you check out Palin’s rack? It’s party time in America!

. . . .

For the die-hard Republicans who lusted over Palin at the convention, her whip-wielding persona was a turn-on. You could practically feel the crowd getting a collective woody as Palin bent Obama and the Democrats over, shoved a leather gag in their mouths and flogged them as un-American wimps, appeasers and losers. “Drill, baby, drill!” the chant ecstatically repeated by the GOP faithful during Rudy Giuliani’s speech, acquired a distinctly Freudian subtext after Palin spoke. The more Palin drilled the Democrats, the more hotly the base yearned to drill her.

There must be a million more examples out there. I’ve probably documented a dozen or more on this blog already. But I’d like to see them all in one place. If you do a good job of compiling them, I may do a post that collects them all.

UPDATE: I’ve added to the title, so people know what the post is about from the title.

1. A Modest Proposal To Andrew Sullivan:

Seriously, Barack Obama and Joe Biden and their families need some beach time too. Maybe you and your husband can host them and score some steamers, quohogs, and lobster and have a clam bake on the beach. You guys need a time out. To rest up.

And I bet if you try a little honey instead of vinegar, Sarah Palin would score you a complementary box of choice Alaskan halibut, salmon, and crab. All you have to do is be nice and ask.

Comment by Joe (dcebbd) — 9/10/2008 @ 7:13 pm

2. Guys, if you don’t participate, this post won’t work.

Comment by Patterico (cc3b34) — 9/10/2008 @ 7:25 pm

3. You have to add the Cintra Wilson essay linked in this WLS post to the list. Is it sexist or just deranged?

Comment by DRJ (7568a2) — 9/10/2008 @ 7:39 pm

4. From the Cintra wilson article WLS linked to on previous post,

“Damn, a hyperconservative, fuckable, Type A, antiabortion, Christian Stepford wife in a ‘sexy librarian’ costume — as a vice president? That’s a brilliant stroke of horrifyingly cynical pandering to the Christian right.

Comment by Dana (084de8) — 9/10/2008 @ 7:40 pm

5. We cross-posted DRJ. I was thinking the entire essay would qualify but her first paragraph sort’ve summed it all up.

Comment by Dana (084de8) — 9/10/2008 @ 7:41 pm

6. True, Dana. There’s also this Peggy Drexler article at HuffPo. It’s not as extreme as Cintra Wilson but that’s going to be hard to beat.

Comment by DRJ (7568a2) — 9/10/2008 @ 7:48 pm

7. I saw this attack on Hotair:

“Palin is a shallow, chirpy person with those vaguely alarming eyeglasses. Now her fans all want a pair. Remember back when women wore glasses that departed their ears in plastic swoops and swirls? My theory is, anyone who wears glasses that look weird is telling me something I don’t want to know.”

It is by Roger Ebert.

Comment by ROA (924e20) — 9/10/2008 @ 7:48 pm

8. Wait a second, ROA. Isn’t that the same Roger Ebert who wrote the screenplay for “Beyond the Valley of the Dolls,” and worked with Russ Meyer? And he actually uses the word “shallow” in reference to another human being?

I’m not interested in anything that Mr. Ebert thinks is weird, since I am pretty sure that his “weird circuitry” shorted out decades ago. Someone who has very bad taste should probably not comment upon the taste of others.

I’m also aware that he is quite ill, and that is sad. But his trademark vitriol is still in abundance.

Comment by Eric Blair (2708f4) — 9/10/2008 @ 7:57 pm

9. DRJ, if you haven’t read Camille Paglia’s essay on Palin and feminism, please do. Its a keeper. No wonder the feminists have disowned her.

Comment by Dana (084de8) — 9/10/2008 @ 7:57 pm

10. Carol Fowler ‘Primary qualification is lack of an abortion’

Comment by Al (b624ac) — 9/10/2008 @ 7:58 pm

11. I saw this one in the NY Daily News asking if taking on the VP role would be challenging in addition to her family obligations. Needless to say, they don’t ask the same questions of Obama (or McCain for that matter).

Comment by Cankle (59a78a) — 9/10/2008 @ 8:01 pm

12. Let me try that link again. NY Daily News

Comment by Cankle (59a78a) — 9/10/2008 @ 8:02 pm

13. Then there’s the comment from paragon of political virtue Gary Hart: “If a majority of voters… think that it is cute to have a moose-hunting hockey mom run the country, then that’s what we’ll get.”

from Althouse

Comment by Patricia (ee5c9d) — 9/10/2008 @ 8:05 pm

14. Patterico,

You don’t boast on this website about having man glutes, therefore you do not behave like Andy Sully…

PS – Don’t be posting pics of your man glutes on this site…

Comment by fmfnavydoc (ba43d6) — 9/10/2008 @ 8:06 pm

15. Of course the classic Joe Biden (one day after being named McCain’s veep selection),

“There’s a gigantic difference between John McCain and Barack Obama and between me and I suspect my vice presidential opponent,” he said in Toledo, Ohio. Pause for the punch-line. “She’s good looking.”

Cracks me up every time.

Comment by Dana (084de8) — 9/10/2008 @ 8:09 pm

16. Links please!

Comment by Patterico (cc3b34) — 9/10/2008 @ 8:15 pm

17. Joe Biden’s…

Comment by Dana (084de8) — 9/10/2008 @ 8:17 pm

18. I thought it was a bit weird .. Joe Klein, Excitable Andy, Steve Benen, Josh Marshall and E.J. Dionne .. all singing the same song.

Now I get it …

Another party I’m not invited to. And you aren’t either: Vlogging fogey lashes out at ur-whippersnapper Ezra Klein, upon learning that Klein has created a private Townhouse-like email group where liberal bloggers and editors hash out issues before they let the public in on the discussion.

Apparently, it was a social event by Kub Klein covered by Memeorandum.

I wonder if they sung Kumbaya before they broke up for the evening.

Comment by Neo (cba5df) — 9/10/2008 @ 8:29 pm

19. Speaking of unhinged, the movie critic is outraged. Why ?

how can you be her age and never have gone to Europe? My dad had died, my mom was working as a book-keeper and I had a job at the local newspaper when, at 19, I scraped together $240 for a charter flight to Europe. I had Arthur Frommer’s $5 a Day under my arm, started in London, even rented a Vespa and drove in the traffic of Rome. A few years later, I was able to send my mom, along with the $15 a Day book.

You don’t need to be a pointy-headed elitist to travel abroad. You need curiosity and a hunger to see the world. What kind of a person (who has the money) arrives at the age of 44 and has only been out of the country once, on an official tour to Iraq? Sarah Palin’s travel record is that of a hopeless provincial.

See ? That is what we should be thinking. How do I know ?

Roger told me.

Comment by Mike K (2cf494) — 9/10/2008 @ 8:31 pm

20. LAT columnist and NPR contributor Meghan Daum.

As for Palin’s speech, we all agreed it was “incredible,” though they meant it as a compliment, whereas I was reminded of Nicole Kidman’s role in the movie “To Die For,” in which she plays an aspiring TV personality who murders her way to the top.

Sept. 6

Comment by Guvner (9af536) — 9/10/2008 @ 8:35 pm

21. MTV VMA:
    I am obliged by broadcasting law to show some balance in this situation, which means, uh, the Republicans might be alright. Sarah Palin. She’s a VILF! A vice president I’d like to…fumble, fondle, I dunno. I do feel a little bit sorry for her daughter, getting pregnant, poor kid. Is it a boy? Is it a girl? It’s a P.R. stunt. Come on. Be honest.

Wow, incorrect *and* stupid!

Comment by Foxfier (15ac79) — 9/10/2008 @ 8:39 pm

22. I can’t help it as I live in San Francisco, but I read this at SF Gate today from the truly unhinged Mark Morford:

“This is a time of true, red-blooded American mavericks, of hot Alaskan redneck babes and giant phallic guns and military fetishism and zero birth control, of teen pregnancy and God and freshly slaughtered moose on the dinner table!”

I don’t even know where to start with a paragraph like this; and it’s just the tip of his hate-filled writing.

Comment by Cankle (59a78a) — 9/10/2008 @ 8:40 pm

23. I posted links but I think each time they got stuck in moderation…

Comment by Dana (084de8) — 9/10/2008 @ 8:49 pm

24. We should celebrate what is groundbreaking about Sarah Palin: a card-carrying member of Feminists for Life is a big step forward from Housewives for Life. And then we should talk about the issues.

In Rebecca Johnson: ‘I am a liberal, but I’m blown away by Sarah Palin’ She wants to like her but just can’t avoid the ant-feminist snark

Comment by akm (ee680a) — 9/10/2008 @ 9:03 pm

25. David Weiner – VPILF (August 29, 2008)
    Eric March – Sarah Palin: Total VPILF (Aug 29, 2008)

Comment by cboldt (3d73dd) — 9/10/2008 @ 9:04 pm

26. “Let that long-winded Joe Biden carry us back to that Poli Sci 201 class we fell asleep in.”

Really? Long-winded yes, but Obama/Biden will be as sleep inducing as a white knuckle ride with a drunk driver in a car with bald tires and leaking brake fluid.

Joe Biden who said THE TRUTH ABOUT OBAMA:
    “You were asked, “Is he ready?” You said, ‘I think he can be ready but right now, I don’t believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training.’”
    Mr. Biden: “I think that I stand by the statement.”

OR … the Biden who gets out of hand dissing the Religious Right: “The next Republican that tells me I’m not religious, I’m gonna shove my rosary beads down their throat!”

OR THE ETHNICALLY-SENSITIVE JOE BIDEN:
    - Biden’s infamous ‘clean’ comment on Obama: “the first mainstream African American [candidate] who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.”
    “In Delaware, the largest growth in population is Indian Americans – moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking.” – Joe Biden, speaking to Indian-Americans.

OR THE BRIANIAC BIDEN:
    “at Syracuse Law School, Biden had plagiarized a law review article in a class paper he wrote … Biden drew “chunks of heavy legal prose directly from” the article in question. … Biden was permitted to retake the course after receiving a grade of F, which was subsequently dropped from his record. .

“I am different from every other member of Judiciary in that I have more hair than the last time. You know why? It’s all the activity in my brain! It breaks through my skull and nourishes my follicles with exciting nutrients! Try to follow me.” – Biden at the Alito hearings

Joe Biden earlier today told the guy in the wheel chair who couldn’t stand up, to “stand up” and be seen.

Let’s face it: Sub-average Joe and Zero Accomplishment Obama team doesnt hold a candle to Palin & McCain.

OBLIGATORY PALIN SMEAR LINK:
    As related by The Washington Post’s Ruth Marcus today:

My colleague Sally Quinn put it most provocatively. “Is she prepared for the all-consuming nature of the job?” Quinn wondered. “When the phone rings at three in the morning and one of her children is really sick, what choice will she make?”

Comment by Freedoms Truth (cfa2f1) — 9/10/2008 @ 9:26 pm

27. Gloria Steinem: “Palin shares nothing but a chromosome with Hillary Clinton.” Imagine anyone making an equally helpful observation that John McCain shares nothing but two chromosomes with Barack Obama. The only question is whether this was a sexist attack on Sarah Palin (on the theory that all women politicians are supposed to be interchangeable) or on women voters generally (on the theory that they’re too dumb to figure out on their own that they’re not).

Comment by Xrlq (62cad4) — 9/11/2008 @ 4:01 am

28. Wendy Doniger:

[Sarah Palin's] greatest hypocrisy is in her pretense that she is a woman.

Comment by Xrlq (b71926) — 9/11/2008 @ 5:41 am

29. Sorry Patterico, I am too old to thrash around in the Democratic/Uberleft sewer. This is a place where there is so much s##t! Plus, I don’t want to come across the Sullivans, or the Douds much less the Fowlers!!

Comment by Sue (4d3ef7) — 9/11/2008 @ 7:36 am

30. Oh goodness, look at the number of people you find in that great sewer hell hole….WOW, where is Obama his reverend, his priest friend, Ayers and the Mrs.. You join hell’s minions and shortly become one as we can all see above.

Comment by Sue (4d3ef7) — 9/11/2008 @ 7:39 am

31. Interior Department.
    Inappropriate sexual relationships, or sexual assault?

We interviewed yet another [Royalty in Kind] RIK employee who stated that in approximately 2005, Smith “insisted” that she ride in his car from one business establishment to another, and she agreed.

This employee stated that Smith “took the long way” between the two businesses, and during the drive, he asked to go to her nearby home, but she refused. “He wanted to have sex; I said no, ” she recalled. Smith then asked if she would have oral sex with him, but she told him she did not want to. She said Smith then “basically forced [her] head into his lap,” and she performed oral sex on him while he drove the car slowly. She said that she resisted Smith when he pulled her head into his lap, but Smith did not relent and continued to pull her head down. She said Smith was “real persistent” but not violent and she did not feel as though she had been sexually assaulted by Smith. She stated that it was difficult for her to have sex with Smith because he supervised her and RIK, but she “felt like [she] could get fired,” so she did what Smith wanted. She said she was “scared” that if she did not do what Smith wanted her to do, it could possibly affect her employment. She said this was the only time she had ever had sex with Smith.
    (OIG Report at page 20.)

“That is not an “inappropriate sexual relationship” – that is a federal employee sexually assaulting a subordinate while on federal government business and it’s a felony. Whether the victim felt she was sexually assaulted or not is irrelevant. Sexual assault victims frequently make such statements – it’s a defense mechanism to deny what happened to them.

Only Fredo’s Justice Department would decline to prosecute such a case.”

Comment by jar@my home computer (6b0755) — 9/11/2008 @ 10:03 am

32. Oh, look . . . the lying cocksucker just made another info-dump dooty. Good boy! Good boy! Next time we’ll see if you can get it in the potty.

Comment by Icy Truth (d55d4c) — 9/11/2008 @ 10:12 am

33. Paying for rape examinations. Well, it was true
    “He said it would cost Wasilla $5,000 to $14,000 a year if the city had to foot the bill for rape exams.

“In the past we’ve charged the cost of exams to the victims’ insurance company when possible,” Fannon told the newspaper. “I just don’t want to see any more burden put on the taxpayer.”

“when possible”
    No insurance, you pay.

Comment by jar@my home computer (6b0755) — 9/11/2008 @ 10:26 am

34. JAR – That rape kit nonsense. That was Alaskan law not a Wasilla decision, right? Check your facts. It’s already been debunked.

That nice oral sex excerpt you posted – that sounds sort of like what Bill Clinton was doing doesn’t it? Was he ever prosecuted? Do the words Troopergate ring a bell?

Comment by daleyrocks (d9ec17) — 9/11/2008 @ 10:35 am

35. Daley, please learn to read.
    “That was Alaskan law not a Wasilla decision, right? Check your facts. It’s already been debunked.”

“Eight years ago, complaints about charging rape victims for medical exams in Wasilla prompted the Alaska Legislature to pass a bill — signed into law by Knowles — that banned the practice statewide.
    “There was one town in Alaska that was charging victims for this, and that was Wasilla,” Knowles said”

Knowles was the Governor at the time. No it was not debunked, I guess you didn’t not read my link. And your Clinton line is just funny.

Comment by jar@my home computer (6b0755) — 9/11/2008 @ 10:48 am

36. Jar – Jar, please learn to post after some editing and comprehension. These data dumps are becoming truly spam – like in their usefulness and mendacity.

Comment by Dmac (e639cc) — 9/11/2008 @ 1:46 pm

37. “usefulness and mendacity.”

Pick one.