Patterico's Pontifications

9/6/2008

The “Dog That Did Not Bark” at the GOP Convention

Filed under: General — WLS @ 11:23 am



[Posted by WLS]

I’ve looked through the text of most of the major speeches given last week at the GOP convention.

Notably missing from all the digs taken at Obama was any reference to Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dorn, the Weather Underground, and the Chicago Annenberg Challenge.

I do not think this was unintentional. This is a subject that animates McCain. From April 20:

On “This Week with George George Stephanopoulos” this morning, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., unprompted, raised the issue of the connection between Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and William Ayers, a former member of the radical group the Weather Underground.

On the subject of whether McCain would attempt to attack Obama on patriotism, the presumptive GOP nominee said, “I’m sure he’s very patriotic. But his relationship with Mr. Ayers is open to question. … if you’re going to associate and have as a friend and serve on a board and have a guy kick off your campaign that says he’s unrepentant, that he wished they had bombed more.”

McCain said he was most offended by Obama’s comparison of Ayers to Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., during Wednesday night’s ABC News debate. Obama had said he doesn’t subscribe to the views of all his friends, and cited Coburn’s anti-abortion rhetoric as an example.

“The worst thing of all, that I think really indicates Senator Obama’s attitude, is he had the incredible statement that he compared Mr. Ayers, an unrepentant terrorist, with Senator Tom Coburn, Senator Coburn, a physician who goes to Oklahoma on the weekends and brings babies into life,” McCain said. “It’s very insulting to a great man, a great doctor, a great humanitarian… (H)ow can you countenance someone who was engaged in bombings which could have or did kill innocent people?”

After Stephanopoulos pointed out that Obama had said he doesn’t agree with comments Ayers has made, McCain said, “Doesn’t agree with them? Does he condemn them? Would he condemn someone who says that they’re unrepentant and wished that they had bombed more?”

The groundwork on this subject is still being prepared. A thorough review of the CAC documents is underway — and I’m sure it’s not just Stanley Kurtz doing it.

The silence on this subject suggests to me that the McCain camp is holding it back for a moment deeper into the campaign. A face-to-face confrontation between a self-professed friend of Ayers and POW who was sitting in the Hanoi Hilton while Ayers and his cohorts were trying to bomb an Officer’s Club at Fort Dix, would be an interesting exchange in a presidential debate. I think one of the agreed-upon formats has the candidates asking questions of each other.

— WLS

92 Responses to “The “Dog That Did Not Bark” at the GOP Convention”

  1. Likely that when asked about his relationship with Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dorn, Obamamessiah would respond: Present.

    Old Coot (62fd89)

  2. I agree with your take on this one – the rest of the country’s going to receive a full education on Obama’s past associations here in Chicago. He was rarely pressed on them during his Senatorial run here (more like a coronation), and his campaign’s panic – stricken behavior towards the WGN interview with Kurtz showed their true colors on this looming bombshell.

    Dmac (e639cc)

  3. In the interests of fairness, if not equal time (and this has more to do with Wright than Ayers)

    The founder of the Alaska Independence Party — a group that has been courted over the years by Sarah Palin, and one her husband was a member of for roughly seven years — once professed his “hatred for the American government” and cursed the American flag as a “damn flag.”

    The AIP founder, Joe Vogler, made the comments in 1991, in an interview that’s now housed at the Oral History Program in the Rasmuson Library at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks.

    “The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government,” Vogler said in the interview, in which he talked extensively about his desire for Alaskan secession, the key goal of the AIP.

    I Big Mac were more animated by policy myself.

    JAR (08f6d2)

  4. JAR…
    This argument has already been presented here, and has been completely destroyed.
    Please try to keep up.

    Another Drew (e872c7)

  5. The AIP story is similar to the list of “banned books.” A lie. It’s still appearing on leftist web sites and blogs. Even on the Obama site.

    Mike K (155601)

  6. “courted” is the new smear for “member of” because that smear didn’t work.

    But keep trying. Maybe the mud will stick!

    steve miller (3c2c90)

  7. It seems that Obama’s central ‘leadership’ style is to claim ignorance of the views of people that he relies on for advice, the statements of his campaign staff and supporters, and the actions of financial partners.

    Barack Obama and Sargeant Schultz, 2008 “They know nothing”.

    Apogee (366e8b)

  8. Mike K #5 – Well, you know how leftist totalitarians operate – keep repeating the lie and all.

    Apogee (366e8b)

  9. Are you saying that the list of books is a lie or that it’s a lie that she tried to have books banned.
    That’s not a lie at all.

    Next up: how being a supporter of Jews for jesus gets the Jewish vote!

    JAR (08f6d2)

  10. Jar…you are operating so far outside the decision circle it is pathetic.
    This is all old news.
    As mentioned before: Please try to keep up.

    Another Drew (e872c7)

  11. Steve Miller ““courted” is the new smear for “member of” because that smear didn’t work.”
    Facts are stupid things I guess.
    From the same link [Learn to read.]

    Three years after the controversial interview, in 1994, Palin attended the group’s annual convention, according to witnesses who spoke to ABC News’ Jake Tapper. The McCain campaign is disputing her presence there, but Tapper found two people to attest to it.
    The McCain campaign today produced Palin’s voting registration records, and said they proved she was never a member of the party.

    But she has repeatedly reached out to the group. The McCain campaign has confirmed she visited the group’s 2000 convention, and she addressed its convention this year, as an incumbent governor whose oath of office includes upholding the Constitution of the United States.

    Palin’s husband, Todd Palin, was a member of the party from 1995-2002 with a brief exception in 2000.

    It’s worth noting that Vogler isn’t just some figure from ancient history. He is still being hailed on AIP’s site this year, the same year Palin addressed the group’s convention.

    It’s worth pondering how big a deal it would be if Obama had ever courted the support of a group whose head had said this kind of thing about America and her flag. Oh, wait…

    Fly like an eagle… dude.

    JAR (08f6d2)

  12. Next up – JARHEAD beclowns himself, yet again.

    Dmac (e639cc)

  13. Even if your lie were true, JAR, it still wouldn’t compare with the fact that Obama launched his campaign at the house of an actual terrorist. A guy who tried to murder innocent people for political gain, and a founding member of a group which did murder innocent people for political gain.

    The AIP is a legitimate political party. Political parties are okay in a democracy. Political terrorists are not okay.

    Evil Pundit (843b74)

  14. Drew, Keeping up with you is easy.
    You’re trying to run away, and it’s my job to slow you down.
    Facts are stupid things, and heavy too.
    I know you make your own reality and all, but still…

    JAR (08f6d2)

  15. What is the difference between Vogler and Ayers?
    Vogler…all mouth;
    Ayers….all bombs (“I only regret that we didn’t do more.”).

    Vogler…was at a convention attended by Mr & Mrs Palin;
    Ayers….organized the first meeting for BHO’s entrance into politics.

    Vogler….views that are not endorsed by Gov. Palin;
    Ayers…..views that are not denounced by Sen. Obama (“Bill Ayers is a friend of mine, we live in the same neighborhood…”).

    Yep, I can see it plainly now.
    Sarah Palin is a critical threat to the American Republic.

    Pathetic Fools!

    Another Drew (e872c7)

  16. Please point out how this is “courting” to attend.

    Please.

    steve miller (3c2c90)

  17. JAR – So the AIP is a dangerous fringe organization? They’ve since apologized to Palin for saying she was a member.

    You quote Vogler from 1991. You should learn to read, you fucking idiot.

    Can you explain why this party of crazy people didn’t take action, since their candidate in the 1990 election won and was sitting in the Governors office at the time?

    Can you explain this crazy organization of secessionists would be so stupid as to put as their candidate for Governor a man who convinced the Congress to accept Alaska for statehood?

    You’re right, retard. If those people ever get into power!

    Apogee (366e8b)

  18. Another thing – Could the activity around the AIP in the early 90’s perhaps indicate dissatisfaction with the existing Republican party structure at the time? A fact that would strengthen Palin’s determination to rout corruption in the Republican party over a decade later?

    Why the constant thread-hijacking. What frightens you about Tony Rezco, William Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn? Why no research about them?

    Apogee (366e8b)

  19. I think it’s great to keep an Ayers bombshell in reserve. Baracky will know he’s going to get hit. He’ll start worry about when, over exactly what and how hard. He’s likely to start panicing and make some premature ejaculation of stoopid in an attempt to head of “distractions” and “the same old politics.” The problem is that his past explanations of his conduct and associations have never been enough and he has always had to go back to revise and clarify them. If he tries to preempt any McCain or conservative disclosures on Ayers, look for him to get hit with both barrels if his tells less than the complete truth.

    daleyrocks (d9ec17)

  20. The best part is, the liberal media has already brought out every possible argument against McCain, and beaten it into the ground. That’s all old news. The new news is going to be Bill Ayers, 24/7, for the last month (or maybe 6 weeks) of the campaign.

    It’s also smart for McCain to delay the Ayers onslaught until after 9/11. Then it doesn’t look like McCain is using 9/11 to attack Obama over patriotism.

    Daryl Herbert (4ecd4c)

  21. “The new news is going to be Bill Ayers…”

    Don’t forget about Rezko – his trial sentencing was unexpectedly pushed back to late October, leading most political observers here speculating that a bombshell plea bargain is in the works with Fitgerald:

    http://cbs2chicago.com/local/judge.delays.sentencing.2.799378.html

    This is not good news for The Messiah – wonder how much the Leftards love Fitzgerald now? Ain’t karma a bitch?

    Dmac (e639cc)

  22. Whoops, meant “Fitzgerald.”

    Dmac (e639cc)

  23. JAR, I love your comments. Please don’t let anyone keep you from continuing your campaign to infuriate the GOP base. You must be having lots of fun. Me too.

    I understand you and others like you are active on any number of sites, that’s great, great news. With MSM doing their part, and guys like you working the blogs, it won’t be anytime at all before Conservatives are united behind their ticket and looking to put Dems right where they belong, watching from the sidelines while McCain and Palin occupy the White House, win the war, cut taxes, drill for oil, veto earmarks, and make nominations for SCOTUS.

    Let the fun begin. I can’t wait to vote, five or six times if they would let me. Again, thanks for helping to energize the GOP base. It probably couldn’t have happened this year without help from sexist dunderheads.

    Ropelight (49e412)

  24. “Ayers…..views that are not denounced by Sen. Obama”

    Read Jim Lundgren at Volokh.And follow his links.

    “”Bill Ayers is a friend of mine, we live in the same neighborhood…”
    Searching for the “quote” from Obama leads back to this page, and nowhere else. You’re either a liar, an idiot, or both.

    JAR (08f6d2)

  25. “Again, thanks for helping to energize the GOP base.”

    That’s precisely what I’m trying to do. Energize the base and scare everyone else. The “base” is %20 of the population.
    Palin- Opposed to abortion even in cases of rape and incest.
    Line item veto cutting funding (or increases of funding if you want) for housing and support for teenage mothers.
    Attempted book banning.
    Jews for jesus. And did you know that Obama’s wife has a rabbi in the family!!?
    Holy ZOG, Batmensch!
    Here’s Jon Stewart

    JAR (08f6d2)

  26. Wow – as my idol Foghorn Leghorn once said of a particularly dim – witted character: “ah say, son – ah say, you’re about as sharp as a pound of wet leather.”

    Dmac (e639cc)

  27. Dmac I’m smart enough to read. Try it some time.

    JAR (08f6d2)

  28. The latest issuance from the institute of JARbology:

    Facts are stupid things I guess.
    — Dyslexia correction: “I guess stupid things are facts.”

    It’s worth pondering how big a deal it would be if Obama had ever courted the support of a group whose head had said this kind of thing about America and her flag. Oh, wait…
    — Ya know, in all honesty, I’m not up on this AIP. Have they ever promoted civil disobedience or the commission of a violent crime? Have any of their officials ever committed a violent crime in the service of furthering their cause? Is there any evidence that Sarah Palin’s ‘involvement’ with the group extended at all beyond the limits of political maneuvering in order to garner support?

    Facts are stupid things, and heavy too.
    — Which makes them harder to juggle.

    You’re either a liar, an idiot, or both.
    — You are a rebel spy, and a traitor!

    Icy Truth (5b3d64)

  29. Whatever you say, sweetheart. Your astounding ability to split atoms with your mind is on daily display here.

    Dmac (e639cc)

  30. As example, gems such as these cannot be ignored:

    “Facts are stupid things I guess.”

    Translation: “these facts are not the facts I thought I knew.” That sounds a little better (but not much, I can only work with the material they give me here).

    Dmac (e639cc)

  31. “You’re either a liar, an idiot, or both.”

    “And I am LOTHAR OF THE HILL PEOPLE!”

    Dmac (e639cc)

  32. JARring comments wrote:

    Line item veto cutting funding (or increases of funding if you want) for housing and support for teenage mothers.
    — Yet another rumor that has been proven totally false. Go to the Bill Moyers’ Journal website and read the transcript from last night’s episode. Hopefully you will trust him; he is, after all, slightly in the liberal camp.

    I’m smart enough to read.
    — Otto: Apes don’t read.
    Wanda: Yes they do, Otto. They just don’t understand it.

    wonkuoyelttabehtflahsinoisneherpmoc

    Icy Truth (5b3d64)

  33. My first comment, #3 begins:
    “In the interests of fairness, if not equal time (and this has more to do with Wright than Ayers)”

    On Ayres as I said, read Pinko Jim Lundgren at Comsymp Central Committee The Volokh Conspiracy.
    Read and learn.

    JAR (08f6d2)

  34. Are you saying that the list of books is a lie or that it’s a lie that she tried to have books banned.
    That’s not a lie at all.

    Next up: how being a supporter of Jews for jesus gets the Jewish vote!

    Comment by JAR

    The lie about book banning is the word of one disgruntled librarian and you know how they vote. There are NO RECORDS. There is a list circulating on the internet that has been around since Palin was in high school.

    I suspect you are a seminar attendee and think you know what you are doing. We see your friends ere from time to time. Notice that we don’t delete your comments like they do at Washington Monthly or Mother Jones ? Do you know why ?

    The Jews for Jesus speaker was exercising free speech. Do you know what that is ?

    Hint: It isn’t the Fairness Doctrine.

    Mike K (155601)

  35. “Line item veto cutting funding (or increases of funding if you want) for housing and support for teenage mothers.
    – Yet another rumor that has been proven totally false. ”
    No transcript yet. But we do have a copy of the legislation with her handwriting on it

    JAR (08f6d2)

  36. “The Jews for Jesus speaker was exercising free speech. Do you know what that is ?”

    I’m a believer in and a defender of free speech, freedom of inquiry. Palin of course, is not.

    “If it were not for Jews for Jesus, I would not be standing here,” the pastor announced. “And here is their executive director, who has come to speak to us this morning.”
    What a warm and wonderful welcome to a terrific church — Wasilla Bible Church — that sits a little less than an hour outside of Anchorage, Alaska.
    Pastor Kroon was referring to a presentation he and his wife had seen in Seattle back in 1974. The young couple realized their lives had strayed from the things of God, and they decided to begin attending church. Lo and behold, The Liberated Wailing Wall from Jews for Jesus was visiting that morning.

    JAR (08f6d2)

  37. JAR – Was it a line item veto or legislation? Do you ever get tired of lying? Are you willfully obtuse or aggressively ignorant?

    JD (5f0e11)

  38. “JAR – Was it a line item veto or legislation? ”

    wow…

    Read… the… link.
    And look up the definition of line item veto.

    JAR (08f6d2)

  39. and by the way Freddie Mac and Fannie May are being taken over by BIg Gubmint.
    Making the world safe for rich idiots.

    JAR (08f6d2)

  40. #38…
    Can’t answer the question…
    Is that because you never bothered to read the cut-&-paste that you subjected us to?

    Another Drew (299eef)

  41. #35 – Jar

    No transcript yet. But we do have a copy of the legislation with her handwriting on it

    — Here is the link to that non-existent transcript:

    http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/09052008/transcript1.html

    — And here is the portion relevant to our discussion:

    KATHLEEN HALL JAMIESON: Let me give you an example. On CNN earlier this week Soledad O’Brien picks up something apparently from e-mails, although perhaps from bloggers because it’s circulating in both places, and takes as fact that Governor Palin has cut special needs funding. Now, if she has, that evocative moment in the speech in which she promised to be the advocate for special needs children is an act of hypocrisy. So very important moment. However, it’s raised on the assumption that it’s true. It’s asserted as true by Soledad O’Brien. When Soledad O’Brien raises it, the McCain spokesperson responds by defending what the governor will do in the future, the reasonable viewer watches and says, “Well, the McCain spokesperson isn’t defending and saying she didn’t do it. Perhaps she did.”

    Now you have a moment in which journalism has deceived its audience because in the rush to make this point about possible hypocrisy, a major commentator on a major network has asserted as fact something which doesn’t hold up. It took the FactCheck.org researcher that I called on my staff about four hours to get back to the primary research documents.

    BILL MOYERS:And it said?

    KATHLEEN HALL JAMIESON:That Sarah Palin had increased funding for special needs children. There was a change in the category in the budget in which it was housed. And as a result, there was some confusion. And some people had generalized from the budget proposed by the predecessor that she defeated. And so the problem I have with some of the press coverage is that in the rush to vet, they made the mistake they were accusing the McCain campaign of. But I don’t think that has anything to do with gender. I think that has something to do with the nature of 24-hour-a-day journalism.

    Icy Truth (5b3d64)

  42. #39…
    We dealt with the Fan&Fred affair on another thread this a.m…..
    Please try to keep up.

    Another Drew (299eef)

  43. Thanks. It wasn’t on the transcripts page.

    ” Soledad O’Brian picks up something apparently from e-mails, although perhaps from bloggers because it’s circulating in both places, and takes as fact that Governor Palin has cut special needs funding.”

    My link wasn’t “from the web” or bloggers it was from the Washington Post. I linked to the document, which has this caption:

    “Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin wrote in her line-item veto changes by hand in this copy of a 2008 spending bill obtained by The Washington Post.”

    Read the damn link. Learn to read, and learn to PAY ATTENTION.

    JAR (08f6d2)

  44. JAR — Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae are where they are because of the management of Democratic appointees to their governing boards like Jamie Gorelick, Jack Quinn, Franklin Raines, and Jim Johnson.

    If the story of these two enterprises was ever to be well publicized, it would be a stain on the Clinton legacy that would make the blue dress blush.

    WLS (969303)

  45. My link wasn’t “from the web” or bloggers it was from the Washington Post.

    — I don’t care where the fuck you got it; only that you got it wrong.

    Icy Truth (5b3d64)

  46. You’re going to blame democrats for this mess?
    I blame the stupid rich, of either party, and they should suffer for their mistakes. You want to go after Biden for pushing the credit bill go ahead. But you won’t because he sold out to people you love. All he was doing was that bill was kissing rich republican ass.

    So who invested in mortgage backed securities?
    You make me laugh kiddo.

    JAR (08f6d2)

  47. Icy, I got nothing wrong. It was a specific issue about a specific bill. Your refusal to pay attention to specifics is mind-boggling.
    You talk and quote generalization. I link to documents.
    AND THE GOVERNOR’S HANDWRITING.

    JAR (08f6d2)

  48. yes, JAR, you blame the “stupid rich” because you do not have a clue about how Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae have increased the amount of bad home loans being made through their policies, the incompetent time-wasters like Jamie Gorelick put into their management structure to get paid off, and the loose lending policies forced on both by liberal Democrats.

    SPQR (26be8b)

  49. JAR is increasingly acquiring trollish practices. The usual left wing distortion that cutting an increase in spending is a cut in spending. That’s one aspect of this story he (she, it) cannot accept that the premise is wrong. Once you start repeating falsehoods to see your own words, you are a troll.

    MIke K (155601)

  50. “do not have a clue about how Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae have increased the amount of bad home loans being made through their policies,”

    And you don’t know shit about “mortage backed securities.”
    Rich idiots invested in high risk debt that they assumed was low risk.
    The poor suffer from bad advice con men and their own stupidity. The rich don’t suffer at all. But we suffer for them.

    JAR (08f6d2)

  51. On Ayres as I said, read Pinko Jim Lundgren at Comsymp Central Committee The Volokh Conspiracy.
    Read and learn.

    If you’re going to link to someone you might possibly want to learn how to spell their name.

    Taltos (4dc0e8)

  52. Mike: “The usual left wing distortion that cutting an increase in spending is a cut in spending.”

    What I wrote:
    “Line item veto cutting funding (or increases of funding if you want) for housing and support for teenage mothers.”

    JAR (08f6d2)

  53. JAR, I’ve counseled enough people in trouble from buying houses that they could not afford to know just how little influence “con men” had. And I do know quite a bit about mortgage backed securities, which happens to be what Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are in business to produce.

    You really are completely clueless.

    SPQR (26be8b)

  54. “If you’re going to link to someone you might possibly want to learn how to spell their name.”

    Finally, a good point.

    out.

    JAR (08f6d2)

  55. “JAR is increasingly acquiring trollish practices.”

    What do you mean by this word “increasingly?” JARHEAD’s been this way for awhile now. For example:

    First we have this incoherency:

    “I blame the stupid rich, of either party…”

    Uh, Okayee…

    Followed up with this:

    “All he was doing was that bill was kissing rich republican ass.”

    JHC in a handbasket, that’s a whole lotta stupid for one post. Let’s see if JARHEAD goes for the Trifecta!

    Dmac (e639cc)

  56. Line item veto cutting funding (or increases of funding if you want) for housing and support for teenage mothers.

    Only to a Liberal would expanding a program by $3.9 million instead of $5 million be considered a cut in funding…

    JAR, you really are a funny, funny man…

    Scott Jacobs (d3a6ec)

  57. Scott, the trifecta was JAR bringing up the purchase of mortgage backed securities as a refutation to points about Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac.

    SPQR (26be8b)

  58. JAR, do us all a favor, and read this page. Follow links for information supporting each statement. Educate yourself before you end up looking even more retarded than you already do…

    Scott Jacobs (d3a6ec)

  59. I think one of the agreed-upon formats has the candidates asking questions of each other.

    This does not appear to be true.

    First Presidential Debate

    Answer Format: The debate will be broken into nine, 9-minute segments. The moderator will introduce a topic and allow each candidate 2 minutes to comment. After these initial answers, the moderator will facilitate an open discussion of the topic for the remaining 5 minutes, ensuring that both candidates receive an equal amount of time to comment

    Second Presidential Debate

    Format: The moderator will call on members of the audience (and draw questions from the Internet). Each candidate will have 2 minutes to respond to each question. Following those initial answers, the moderator will invite the candidates to respond to the previous answers, for a total of 1 minute, ensuring that both candidates receive an equal amount of time to comment. In the spirit of the Town Hall, all questions will come from the audience (or Internet), and not the moderator.

    Third Presidential Debate

    Answer Format: Same as First Presidential Debate. Closing Statements: At the end of this debate (only) each candidate shall have the opportunity for a 90 second closing statement.

    Foo Bar (03f778)

  60. Who gives a f**k what Obama has to do with Ayers and the like? That is a toothless bulldog that only barks but cannot bite. I challenge you to produce any incriminating evidence that ties Obama with terrorists like Ayers and has shown support of their actions anywhere. Produce it. But no, why? It is a toothless barking powerless dog-argument that has no meaning. You know why it was not mentioned? Because they know it is a useless, baseless accusation that will only serve to destroy what is left of their miserable campaign.
    Here is the dog that ought to bark but did not. The economy. Americans are not interested in Ayers and Dorhn and Wright. They want a change in the way things are and if your party cannot provide it after eight years of being in power, then come Nov. 4th, we will boot them out of the white house and bring in a new leadership with fresh ideas and a new direction back to greatness. That is the Dog that is barking and will soon bite your asses!

    love2008 (0c8c2c)

  61. Okay, JAR –

    As Scott Jacobs noted (#56), this was funding for the expansion of Covenant House; Governor Palin reduced the proposed amount of that funding. In the accompanying ‘veto spreadsheet’ it is specified as a one-time reduction. As Scott alluded to, your reaction is the same bullshit the Dems tried with the federal S-chip funding. Pres. Bush and the GOP members of Congress were in favor of an increase in funding, but because it wasn’t as much as the Dems wanted they falsely claimed that the GOP was opposed to any increase, by saying “the President vetoed S-chip,” or “the Republicans voted down S-chip,” and the like. You used the same distortion when you wrote, “Line item veto cutting funding (or increases of funding if you want) for housing and support for teenage mothers.” Even though “to reduce” is one of the meanings of the word “cut”, your use of it in this context makes it sound like “eliminate”.

    Secondly, I erred with my previous post. I thought you were referring to the more widely publicized accusation of reduced funding for special needs children, the one proven false by political media watcher KATHLEEN HALL JAMIESON and factcheck.org.

    I was wrong.

    That’s humbling to say. You should try it some time.

    Icy Truth (5b3d64)

  62. love2008, I don’t find what you “care” about with respect to Bill Ayers at all interesting.

    I find that the fact that Obama was comfortable working closely for many years with a terrorist tells me a great deal about Obama’s real extremism. And it tells me a great deal about his real agenda.

    SPQR (26be8b)

  63. luv2spewH8 (& based on this post I was right all along) –

    I challenge you to produce any incriminating evidence that ties Obama with terrorists like Ayers
    — Uh, u kiddin’, right? Obama’s ties with Ayers are both common knowledge and have been admitted to, grudgingly, by both the campaign and — remember when he got all pissy during the ABC debate? — the candidate his own self.

    and has shown support of their actions anywhere.
    — Who has accused him of supporting their past actions? Given that their ideology — which if not extending into criminal action anymore still remains extreme left — is so radical, the question is why does he have any connection with them.

    Icy Truth (5b3d64)

  64. #62
    Keep spinning it senator, what else do you have? Bush harms McCain more than all these lies you people love to tell on this blog. Answer one question, why is McCain keeping away from George Bush? Why has he suddenly thrown a fellow Republican, who happens to be the President he hopes to succeed, under the bus? I think John McCain has more relationships in his life he needs to worry about than Obama.

    love2008 (0c8c2c)

  65. Who gives a f**k what Obama has to do with Ayers and the like?

    Given the way the Obama campaign acts whenever someone starts looking in that direction, I’d say they do.

    Rob Crawford (b5d1c2)

  66. #63
    If you are not suggesting that he supports them then why are we talking about it? Obama has no further “connections” with Ayers beyond what we already know. If so, prove it or I am going to begin to call anyone that continues to spread this lie, a liar. If you can’t prove what you claim, you are lying.

    love2008 (0c8c2c)

  67. love2008, now it is “lies” to point out the true reality of Obama’s background? Having some english difficulties?

    Maybe the reason that McCain is staying away from George Bush is that he does not like him and does not share his ideology? Something that would be obvious to anyone paying attention to McCain and Bush over that last decade.

    SPQR (26be8b)

  68. love2008 seems to already be forgetting the obstruction of people trying to learn more about Obama’s time with Ayers at the Anneberg Challenge.

    Gee, I wonder who is doing the lying here?

    SPQR (26be8b)

  69. I am looking forward to a post that will talk about how well this administration has done and how popular they are and how successful they are. And how John McCain represents a new face of a great Republican party that did so well and needs to continue. But no. Why? You tell me.
    Let me paint the picture for you; this year is going to be, a referendum on George Bush and the Party that elected him. If you think George Bush did well, vote for McCain. If you think he didn’t, vote for Obama. That is what this year is about and you all know how it’s going to end.

    love2008 (0c8c2c)

  70. Semi-correction to what I wrote earlier:

    It does appear that that they might get a chance to question each other, but only if the moderator invites them to do so, and only within the context of an issue that the moderator has chosen. So McCain could get the opportunity to ask about Ayers, but he might not get that opportunity if the subjects chosen by the moderator do not appear to make an Ayers question appropriate.

    Some discussion of the rules is here. Thanks to Patterico for passing it on via email.

    Foo Bar (03f778)

  71. I would love McCain to bring up that Ayers bullsh*t. He will be booed and heckled by an angry American public who are losing jobs, losing homes, paying more for gas, not having as much as they used to. Let him come before that audience and mention Ayers and Dorhn and Wright and Rezco. He will witness the greatest embarrassment of his political life. Negative campaigning won’t work this year. Americans are not that stupid. But bring it on!

    love2008 (0c8c2c)

  72. Negative campaigning won’t work this year. Americans are not that stupid. But bring it on!

    ROTFLMAO. Ain’t it all about Bush, Blood For Oil, and “McSame”?

    nk (21731d)

  73. #67
    Maybe the reason that McCain is staying away from George Bush is that he does not like him and does not share his ideology?
    You mean like ten percent of Bush’s ideology? Because we know he agrees with 90% of Bush’s ideology. He likes him 90% and dislikes him 10% of the time.
    John McCain: Ninety percent George Bush and Ten percent “Maverick”.

    love2008 (0c8c2c)

  74. love2008, you don’t really realize how silly your comments are, do you? First of all, the entire DNC was nothing but negative campaigning. Secondly, Americans don’t take kindly to leftist terrorists.

    You really don’t have a clue what message will resonate. Just the discussion of Obama’s loony preacher cut his support significantly in the spring.

    Comparing McCain to Bush is what proves you don’t have a clue about McCain.

    SPQR (26be8b)

  75. I know that Lovie is faithfully spewing talking points, but aren’t we still in about 5 percent unemployment, and no actual negative growth? Why the misery pimping, Lovie?

    JD (5f0e11)

  76. #68
    love2008 seems to already be forgetting the obstruction of people trying to learn more about Obama’s time with Ayers at the Anneberg Challenge.

    Gee, I wonder who is doing the lying here?


    “Obstruction” by who exactly? Certainly not Obama. And you are wondering who is lying? Look at the mirror.

    love2008 (0c8c2c)

  77. love2008, how do you know that Obama isn’t the one obstructing? All of a sudden, you seem amazingly knowledgable about things no one else has knowledge of.

    And an incompetent like you has a long way to go before you call me a liar.

    SPQR (26be8b)

  78. #74
    My comments are “silly”? Well thats exactly what about 80% of Americans think. Maybe we are suffering from “mental recession.” And we have become a nation of “Whiners”. Funny how people who said that ended up under the “Straight Talk Express” bus. You are next bozo!

    love2008 (0c8c2c)

  79. #77
    You are a Liar! You stink to high heavens! If not, produce evidence that Obama is the one behind the obstruction. Saying something you can’t back up makes you a liar.
    (It’s time someone called you guys out on all these your malicious lies.)

    love2008 (1b037c)

  80. I think a good place to start on the Ayers link would be the educational philosophy of the organizations the CAC made grants to. Ayers is a big fan of the reparations movement in education and the Obama campaign is extremely sensitive about that topic even though the Messiah hinted at it in his national speech on race which was subsequently and then even further revised based on him finally coming clean on thing he had not previously known about Reverend Wright.

    daleyrocks (d9ec17)

  81. The Local School Councils concept is another thing that both Obama and Ayers championed which led to division on the CAC board. Other places where it’s been tried it led to the loss of union jobs, something Obama probably doesn’t want highlighted in an election year.

    daleyrocks (d9ec17)

  82. JAR wrote: But we do have a copy of the legislation with her handwriting on it

    OK, Jerk-A-Round, I read the Washed-up Post article you linked. My verdict: You’re still full of it, and so is the Post. Sean Hannity has said that the drive to destroy Sarah Palin proves that “journalism is dead.” While that may be a tad overstated, one can’t argue that this report was DOA.

    The article story — written by the Post‘s Paul Kane — is titled, “Palin Slashed Funding for Teen Moms.” (bold mine; link in original text)

    ST. PAUL — Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee who revealed Monday that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, earlier this year used her line-item veto to slash funding for a state program benefiting teen mothers in need of a place to live.

    After the legislature passed a spending bill in April, Palin went through the measure reducing and eliminating funds for programs she opposed. Inking her initials on the legislation — “SP” — Palin reduced funding for Covenant House Alaska by more than 20 percent, cutting funds from $5 million to $3.9 million. Covenant House is a mix of programs and shelters for troubled youths, including Passage House, which is a transitional home for teenage mothers.

    According to Passage House’s web site, its purpose is to provide “young mothers a place to live with their babies for up to eighteen months while they gain the necessary skills and resources to change their lives” and help teen moms “become productive, successful, independent adults who create and provide a stable environment for themselves and their families.”

    Palin’s own daughter, Bristol, is five months pregnant and has plans to wed.

    (snip)

    Earlier today the Associated Press reported that Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, opposed funding to prevent teen pregnancies, a position that Palin also took as governor. “The explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support,” she wrote in a 2006 questionnaire distributed among gubernatorial candidates.

    Reporters asked McCain in November 2007 whether he supported grants for sex education in the United States, whether such programs should include directions for using contraceptives and whether he supports President Bush’s policy of promoting abstinence.

    “Ahhh, I think I support the president’s policy,” McCain said.

    This report is deliberately and egregiously misleading.

    What’s the complete, honest, unvarnished truth? Palin, using the line-item veto power she has as Alaska Governor, did reduce the allocation of funding authorized by the Alaska legislature to Covenant House Alaska (CHA), the Anchorage chapter of New York-based Covenant House. Did she “slash funding for teen moms?” That would depend on what amount CHA received in the previous year.

    Oops! Mr. Kane left that part out, didn’t he? Awww.

    I have said before I’m not a lawyer, and I’m not an accountant either, but I’m too smart to take the Washed-up Post at its word. So I went to the website of CHA to check on its financial numbers.

    Oooh, look what I found: Here is the KPMG Financial Report for CHA for the year 2007. On Page 3, you’ll find under “Grant Income” this amount: $1,335,073.00 This corresponds to CHA’s IRS Form 990, Part I, Line 1d. After factoring in the funds from the national Covenant House organization and CHA’s own fundraising within Alaska, the revenues for Fiscal Year 2007 are listed on Part I, Line 1e at $3,087,348.00.

    Hey, wait a minute — CHA’s revenues for 2007 were just under $3.1 million, including $1.33 million from the state in 2007, and Palin’s allocation for 2008 is … $3.9 million after “slashing” $1.1 mil?

    Hmmm…let’s look at the total expenses of CHA for 2007: $3,377,118.00?! And Palin wanted to fund CHA to the tune of $3.9 million!

    It seems to me Sarah Palin was granting over a half-million more Alaska government dollars to Covenant House Alaska (including Passage House) than CHA had spent in FY 2007!

    Now, as I said, I am not an accountant. But I can’t figure how the money Palin did provide is not far more than they had a right to expect! If you are a CPA and can make a case this is “slashing!” I’m willing to be corrected. But I’m not holding my breath.

    Here’s why: In a slightly less hysterical “hair on fire” report about this particular line-item veto, Catrin Einhorn, a New York Times reporter, actually spoke with someone from CHA. How novel! (Bold mine.)

    In an interview, Deirdre A. Cronin, the executive director of Covenant House Alaska, chose to dwell on the money the group did receive rather than what it did not. “It was a step in the right direction,” she said, emphasizing that she hopes for more state money in future years. “This is a marathon, not a sprint,” she said.

    (snip)

    Covenant House Alaska, part of a broader national organization, generally receives 5 to 10 percent of its operating budget from the state, which Gov. Palin has not cut, Ms. Cronin said.

    I’m sorry, what was that Ms. Cronin of CHA said?
    GOV. PALIN HAS NOT CUT CHA’S OPERATING BUDGET!

    I could go into the deceptive nature of Kane’s bringing up Palin & McCain’s refusals to fund explicit sex-ed as if it was connected to the “slashing” of Passage House’s budget, but I won’t because debunking the first half of the report took so much of my time. But I’m happy to do it to shove this com-Post back in your lying face.

    Hey, JAR! In the words of RoboCop: “Your move … creep!”

    L.N. Smithee (025bfa)

  83. love2008 wrote: If you think George Bush did well, vote for McCain. If you think he didn’t, vote for Obama. That is what this year is about and you all know how it’s going to end.

    Just about two years ago, Nancy Pelosi said the 2006 midterm elections were a referendum on Bush. The Dems won big, Pelosi became Speaker of the House, Harry Reid became Senate Majority Leader, and Congress’ approval rating sunk below that of the President to the furthest depth in the history of the poll.

    L.N. Smithee (f22eb0)

  84. love2008 –

    If you are not suggesting that he supports them then why are we talking about it?
    — I am suggesting that he shares their Marxist political philosophy, and that his vision is to steer this country into a supposedly benign form of Socialism; therefore, I wish to warn my fellow posters of this alarming scenario.

    Obama has no further “connections” with Ayers beyond what we already know.
    — Many of us are of the opinion that what we already know of their connection is enough of a reason not to vote for him.

    If so, prove it or I am going to begin to call anyone that continues to spread this lie, a liar. If you can’t prove what you claim, you are lying.
    — Didn’t u ‘n’ me already have a row-de-dow over this? (Maybe it was Oiram; you two really are interchangeable sometimes.) Call my opinions wrong all day long; call my facts wrong if you can prove otherwise; call me stupid, with the understanding that I’ll probably come back at you with one of my sarcastic retorts. Call me a liar — NEVER.

    Icy Truth (9cedd0)

  85. “The economy. … They want a change in the way things are and if your party cannot provide it after eight years of being in power, then come Nov. 4th, we will boot them out of the white house and bring in a new leadership with fresh ideas and a new direction back to greatness. That is the Dog that is barking and will soon bite your asses!”

    Comment by love2008 — 9/6/2008 @ 5:15 pm

    I love these statements. 5 years of MSM’s constant pounding on how “bad” the economy was during some of the biggest growth in decades. 3 years of MSM’s predicting that “the housing bubble has burst”. 2 years of Democrats in charge of both houses of Congress creating the worst “do nothing” government in our history. The economy finally starts to sag under all this negative propaganda and now it is all Bush’s fault.

    You know, I have to wonder if all the Democrats are really this stupid or if they are just that partisan? Or is it both?

    As for the new direction and ideas, communism is not a new direction and confiscatory taxation is not a new idea.

    Jay Curtis (8f6541)

  86. love –

    You mean like ten percent of Bush’s ideology? Because we know he agrees with 90% of Bush’s ideology.

    — No, Britcon. That Bush would have voted the same way as McCain 90% of the time (btw, an unmeasurable quantity that someone somehow managed to measure) does not mean that their political ideology is that closely related. Legislators make compromises in order to get business done, remember? There surely have been many bills that McCain enthusiastically supported but Bush reluctantly signed into law, and vice versa (McCain voted reluctantly, Bush signed enthusiastically).

    And we have become a nation of “Whiners”. Funny how people who said that ended up under the “Straight Talk Express” bus.

    — Phil Gramm was wrong; we are not a nation of whiners. After all, it isn’t the entire nation that’s registered Democrat.

    Icy Truth (9cedd0)

  87. I find it amusing, this “voted with bush 90% of the time” meme…

    Mainly because looking at the numbers, it isn’t anywhere close over the last 8 years. On average, it’s 70% at best… And I think that’s being generous… I’ll grab the full tally and let you know.

    My question is… How often did Obama vote outside party lines? It would seem to me that even 10% cross-over is more bipartisan than 0%…

    But I’m an accounting student. What do I know about numbers…

    Scott Jacobs (d3a6ec)

  88. Scott – Baracky voted with his party 97% of the time. That’s some major reaching across the aisle demonstrated there.

    Courage!

    daleyrocks (d9ec17)

  89. Scott Jacobs wrote: But I’m an accounting student. What do I know about numbers…

    Excellent! Please review #82 and tell me if I’m on target or off base.

    L.N. Smithee (025bfa)

  90. #67
    Maybe the reason that McCain is staying away from George Bush is that he does not like him and does not share his ideology?
    You mean 10% of his ideologies? Because we all know that he agrees with 90% of his ideologies. He hates Bush ten percent and likes him ninety percent. Mmmm…

    love2008 (1b037c)

  91. The terrorist is actually John McCain.
    How many villages, civilians, women and children did McCain’s air strikes kill and machine guns strafe in Vietnam and perhaps Cambodia and Laos?
    This was an illegal never-declared war, violated Geneva Convention and every other international protocol, as well as our own constitution and was fought against civilians.
    The air offensive was begun on a fallacious incident, the Tonkin Gulf Attack, and then escalated across international borders killing 800 thousand in Cambodia and never determined amount in Laos, and thousands upon thousands in Hanoi across a decade of slaughter.
    He was, of course, just following orders.
    The Weather Underground killed no one and specifically targeted places linked to illegal war and political actions by the US Government only.
    Tit-for-tat.
    Each bombing had a direct corollary incident instigated by the illegal actions of the US government.
    John McCain shares America’s disgrace.

    Peter Barton (9e3a71)

  92. Peter Barton, you are a liar. The Weather Underground did kill.

    Why is it that Leftists think they can get away with these lies? Scum.

    SPQR (26be8b)


Powered by WordPress.

Page loaded in: 0.4269 secs.